Which Discs Should I Start With???

I second that! It's defiinitely a must for SymX and DT prog metal fans! :headbang:
HELL YEAH!!

Symphony X has been my favorite current generation band for a long time. Dream Theater being in the top as well, or course. And the new Circus Maximus, as Rick said while being somewhat derivitive, it doesn't copy, but carries on the torch!
Exactly! There are moments where you might say, "This sounds like SyX!", or "That reminds of DT!", but in the end, they really do have a sound of their own and I really enjoyed their live show too. Don't expect them to be running around the stage and going crazy, but they do put on a nice show. The singer and the guitarist are pretty nice guys too. Not that that fact makes them good, but they already are good, but quite honestly, I'm so tired of musicians with the "rock star" attitude! Especially when they are of limited talent. Regardless, they still don't have the right to be dicks!

And, as it appears you like the technical side of things, then Spiral Architect and Zero Hour are no brainers.
Oh yeah! Definitely! And along the lines of SA, Twisted Into Form (not quite as good, IMO). I've never been much of a Watchtower fan either, but they are pretty earlier tech. prog. metal.

Another new group that I will highly recommend (since I'm listening to it right now) is the new Thought Chamber (Ted Leonard from Enchant on Vox)!! Sounds like an instant classic to me!

I'll raise up a glass with ya', Hear! Hear! To BARFest, Prog and Metal!!! :kickass: :kickass:
HELL YEAH!!! OK, we are all going ot have to get together at BAR Fest and have one big toast! :kickass::kickass:

Exactly! There are moments where you might say, "This sounds like SyX!", or "That reminds of DT!", but in the end, they really do have a sound of their own and I really enjoyed their live show too. Don't expect them to be running around the stage and going crazy, but they do put on a nice show. The singer and the guitarist are pretty nice guys too. Not that that fact makes them good, but they already are good, but quite honestly, I'm so tired of musicians with the "rock star" attitude! Especially when they are of limited talent. Regardless, they still don't have the right to be dicks!

Another new group that I will highly recommend (since I'm listening to it right now) is the new Thought Chamber (Ted Leonard from Enchant on Vox)!! Sounds like an instant classic to me!

HELL YEAH!!! OK, we are all going ot have to get together at BAR Fest and have one big toast! :kickass::kickass:

I Couldn't agree with you more on all of the above. Very like minded guitarists!

I haven't heard the Thought Chamber yet, it's been on my list to check out, and given your recommendation and our obvious similar tastes, going to have to do it sooner than later.

And since you've brought it up...we'll definitely have to get together at BARFest and raise a Hell Yeah!!! toast - to make it official though, we'll have to raise up our brew in line and bang our heads like these little kick ass smiley metal faces! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

You're welcome! Glad to hear that!!

Definitely! Symphony X has been one of the most consistent bands out there. Changing just enough to keep it interesting, but not so much as to alienate current listeners. I actually enjoy all the DT releases too, but they diverge so much that they tend to piss off listeners until people get used to the "new" sound. My favorite DT? That's EASY -- Images & Words - HANDS DOWN!! Great songs, great plaing, great production! The triggered snare sound gets to some, but I like it and it would hardly be a reason to hate the album. Awake is another favorite of mine. Falling Into Infinity took some getting used to, but I have thought that it always had some of their strongest material on it, just too much filler like Anna Lee, Buring My Soul, etc... But tracks like Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand, New Millenium make it great too. Scenes from a Memory is good too. I'm even one of the people that like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Train of Thought, and Octavarium. But I & W is my favorite. In fact, it is pretty much my favorite album of all times! A+++++

OK, gotcha. I guess that is a bit of a haul for a record store. I know they have other locations. I just checked. Nothing in Sacramento, it appears that Vallejo is about as close as they get to you. Check out their website to see all their locations in case ou happen to be going to one of these places.

http://www.rasputinmusic.com/locations.html

If you are going to the Enchant, Redemption, Zero Hour, Timeline show later this month in San Jose, they do have a location there too. Plus, I'm sure that Enchant would have it with them!

Yeah, that really is strange. Ed must be busy getting ready for that 3/24 show since he hasn't poked his head in here yet.

Cool. A bad first impression can definitely ruin it for people.

Totally agree with you here! That's cool. They are all very cool. Make sure you introduce yourself to them at the show -- you'll find out for yourself!

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding it too. The room keeps spinning on me! ;)

"Awake" is Awesome!!! :headbang: After talking about DT the other day here on the forum I later popped in "Awake" and it totally blew me away......again. Very awesome disc. "I&W" you say? Sounds good. I'll look to add that one and "SFaM" to the collection as soon as I can. I really need to get my hands on some more DT stuff very soon.

Yeah, thats kind of a far drive to make just to go and spend money I don't have. I will be going to the show later this month. Got my tickets and am very much looking forward to it. I will most likely be leaving early and will check that Record Store out. I checked out the link you gave and it looks like a cool place.

Oh true. I'm sure they will have some stuff at the show I could get. Speaking of this, what are the chances do you think that Zero Hour will have CD's for sale? I'm sure they will probably have "Specs..." for sale that night, but what about some older stuff? Thinking back I don't recall any bands that have their older stuff for sale at their concerts. Have you seen this?

Yeah, the ZH guys seemed really cool. I will try and introduce myself.

Since we are spending so much time at the bar, I was just wondering what the beer selection is like at the San Fran. venue. Anybody who's been there know anything about this? Lately my beer of choice has been Anchor Steam Lager, which is brewed right there in San Francisco. It would be awesome if they had some of that on tap. Probably not very likely, but a guy can hope can't he?

Let's get a another pitcher. Meet you over at the table. At this point we have had quite a bit to drink and I don't remember the last time we had a toast. So.........here's to BARfest and even more importantly the music that we love. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Speaking of Dream Theater, some favs...

Images & Words - still my favorite of theirs, just a perfect record all around and true prog classic. Simply a must have.

Scene from a Memory - my second favorite, a truly great prog-concept album and some of the best stuff they've ever done. Another must have.

Awake - second record, darker than I&W, but still really awesome.

Train of Thought - while this is considered one of their least melodic albums, it has some of the most insane guitar playing petrucci has done. If you're head can handle the punishment.

Change of Seasons - has some cool live covers on it, after the concept piece.