Which Discs Should I Start With???

i am fabio

Jan 26, 2006
Nor. Cal.
Okay first off let me say that I am 21 years old and discovered Power Metal about three years ago. In the beginning I was pretty much a fan of Power Metal and hadn't really explored the genres surrounding such as Progressive, Symphonic, Death, Thrash (excluding Metallica's old stuff). I guess what I am getting at is that after listening to some of the great bands I started out listening to such as Symphony X, Sonata, Blind Guardian, Angra, one begins to wonder what else is out there. I'm thinking to myself if I didn't know about all these great bands two years ago, I wonder what else is out there. That's when I got online and discovered ProgPower. This opened my eyes to many many other great bands. Slowly I have been branching out and am now listening to alot more Progressive stuff as well some Thrash. Alright enough of my story...the real reason for this post is to get some help deciding which discs to start with from a few that are playing BARfest and also a few that I just thought you all may know somethings about. Some bands that I really like what i have heard but haven't had the pleasure of purchasing anything from YET are:

-Zero Hour :kickass: (saw them at PP last year and thought they were awesome, also seemed like really cool guys from what I could gather)
-Enchant (saw a DVD by these guys at the local record store the other day and was wondering if this would be a good way to start, I think it was titled "Live at Last")
-Twilightning (have heard some stuff from this band on an online radio station and was really liking it)
-Jag Panzer (have heard alot of talk about how underrated this band is so I gave them a listen, and was liking it)

I'm sure you guys will be able to help me out and I look forward to your feedback and also can't wait for the upcoming shows in March and May....I'm soooooooo Stoked!!! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Get Some Spocks Beard!
Day For Night
The Light
V

And get some from the band that Dave is about to announce, they rule! haha!!

The new Zero Hour is a monster! Heavy!

Check out the Progpower bands this year too... Sonata Arctica, Pagan's Mind, Redemption... The latest from all these are a good place to start

My favorites from Zero Hour are Metamorphosis & Towers of Avarice. great music there, I am still getting into the new stuff, you cant really go wrong if your into technical Prog Metal.

Twilightning. Get Delirium Veil, its the only one thats good to my ears, I like that one alot though.

Enchant. My favorites are Blueprint,Wounded, Blink of an Eye. Dropping 9 Juggling 10 is cool also, as well as Tug of War. Maybe get the Live at Last it will give you a retrospective.

Jag Panzer, I have a few releases from them but nothing really ever got on hard with me, its good but I don't go back and visit it alot. Mechanized Warfare is my fav, Thane to the Throne and Chain of Command are must haves if your into that type of Power metal.

Check out Machine Men, Circus Maximus too

Bear

Thanks guys! I do own alot of this years PP stuff as you suggested Shark, such as all the Sonata discs :kickass: and all the PM discs :kickass: and I own one from Redemption and plan on getting their new one when I go to see them in March. As for Spock's Beard......never really heard their stuff, but will check it out later after work. Also Bear you suggest Machine Men who I own two discs from and plan on getting their new one as well. Circus Maximus is one I don't have that I will definitely check out. As for those I needed a little help with, thanks for your suggestions. I will probably be making an order soon so I can get the albums before the March show.

I think I will probably go with two Zero Hour discs :)rock: ), one of the older one's that you mentioned and the newest one as well. As for Twilightning, Delirium Veil was the one I was leaning towards (that's their first one right?). I'll probably pick up the Enchant DVD because of the convenience of it being at the local record store (I won't have to wait three weeks for it) and go from there. Also I will take your suggestion on the JP disc because I have no idea where to start with this one. I really look forward to letting the inner prog. out in me. Can't wait for the upcoming shows. If anyone else has any input i would appreciate it also. Thanks Again!

Thanks guys! I do own alot of this years PP stuff as you suggested Shark, such as all the Sonata discs :kickass: and all the PM discs :kickass: and I own one from Redemption and plan on getting their new one when I go to see them in March. As for Spock's Beard......never really heard their stuff, but will check it out later after work. Also Bear you suggest Machine Men who I own two discs from and plan on getting their new one as well. Circus Maximus is one I don't have that I will definitely check out. As for those I needed a little help with, thanks for your suggestions. I will probably be making an order soon so I can get the albums before the March show.

I think I will probably go with two Zero Hour discs :)rock: ), one of the older one's that you mentioned and the newest one as well. As for Twilightning, Delirium Veil was the one I was leaning towards (that's their first one right?). I'll probably pick up the Enchant DVD because of the convenience of it being at the local record store (I won't have to wait three weeks for it) and go from there. Also I will take your suggestion on the JP disc because I have no idea where to start with this one. I really look forward to letting the inner prog. out in me. Can't wait for the upcoming shows. If anyone else has any input i would appreciate it also. Thanks Again!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new Redemption too!

As for Spock's Beard, they are bit more from the old school of prog rock. Remind of old Yes at times (mostly their older material). Seeing that you are more of a metal fan, I suggest to start with V. Definitely my favorite! Day For Night and The Light are also really good (more of the old Yes sound in those disks).

CIRCUS MAXIMUS!!! Awesome, awesome disk!! A MUST!! I really can't wait for their new disk either!

As for ZH, I love all of them, but definitely start with Specs and Towers! Two technical prog masterpieces. If you are more keys oriented, you may want to really think about Metamorphosis over Towers. A Fragile Mind is also good, but Idefinitely prefer the other three over it.

I love the Enchant DVD and I think it will give you a great overview of their career. You will also get an appreciation for their technical ability as well. Ted is a MONSTER live! One of my favorite live vocal performances EVER! After that, go with Bear's suggested order. ;)

Jag Panzer is a strong contender in the American Power Metal scene and I have seen them twice. A fun band to watch live, but not enough to make me go buy a CD.

If you are looking for some crazier prog, may I suggest Spiral Architect? It is over-the-top technical, so much that I didn't think I'd like it. I was wrong!

For more crazy prog in a different vein, go for some Pain of Salvation! Yes, people I said it! ;) I hated this band when I first heard them, but gave them another try when The Perfect Element Pt. 1 came out (and they were headlining PP1) and they won me over. After that go back and get Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake. The new one sounds pretty good too, but I've been too busy to seriously digest it. Not a big fan of Be though.

OK, I think we have all spent enough of your money now! ;) Enjoy! Looking forward to meeting you in May!

Hey Rick, thanks a whole lot for your suggestions. It's much appreciated. New Redemption :kickass: As for your description of Spocks Beard.........if it sounds like old Yes then I will most likely enjoy it. My Dad is a huge Yes fan and I grew up listening to stuff like that. As you suggested though, I will start with V and then maybe check out some of the older Yes sounding stuff later. As for CM.....A MUST! you say? Well that settles it . Do they have only one disc out? I will check them out as my budget allows. You guys aren't the first to suggest them to me so I guess the time has come to pony up the dough. Good to hear how much you enjoyed the Enchant DVD. I will most likely be picking it up today.......so that means I will be viewing it tonight........after many beers of course :headbang: . Spiral Architect.....don't know much about them but I will check their website out maybe they got some songs to check out. PoS.........have heard many things about this band but have never had a chance to check them out *added to the list*. Again I appreciate you helping me spend my money and I most definitely look forward to meeting you in May. Also, I very much look forward to the Odins Court set. I checked out the songs from your MySpace and really liked what I heard. Are you guys gonna have some OC discs available at the event? If so I will have to pick one up. Here's to BARfest and the killer lineup :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::kickass:

Hey Rick, thanks a whole lot for your suggestions. It's much appreciated. New Redemption :kickass: As for your description of Spocks Beard.........if it sounds like old Yes then I will most likely enjoy it. My Dad is a huge Yes fan and I grew up listening to stuff like that. As you suggested though, I will start with V and then maybe check out some of the older Yes sounding stuff later. As for CM.....A MUST! you say? Well that settles it . Do they have only one disc out? I will check them out as my budget allows. You guys aren't the first to suggest them to me so I guess the time has come to pony up the dough. Good to hear how much you enjoyed the Enchant DVD. I will most likely be picking it up today.......so that means I will be viewing it tonight........after many beers of course :headbang: . Spiral Architect.....don't know much about them but I will check their website out maybe they got some songs to check out. PoS.........have heard many things about this band but have never had a chance to check them out *added to the list*. Again I appreciate you helping me spend my money and I most definitely look forward to meeting you in May. Also, I very much look forward to the Odins Court set. I checked out the songs from your MySpace and really liked what I heard. Are you guys gonna have some OC discs available at the event? If so I will have to pick one up. Here's to BARfest and the killer lineup :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::kickass:

Glad to hear you discovering the new genre of music-- I had a similar revelation a few years ago when I discovered ProgPower and saw Spocks Beard open for DT-- I had no idea that ANY of these bands were out there-- I had pretty much stopped at Dream Theater and Queensryche.. Once I listened to Kamelot, Stratovarius, Sonata, Enchant, Angra and Nightwish I was blown away-- These are exciting times in music my friend!! Look forward to meeting you at the shows--

Hey Rick, thanks a whole lot for your suggestions. It's much appreciated. New Redemption :kickass: As for your description of Spocks Beard.........if it sounds like old Yes then I will most likely enjoy it. My Dad is a huge Yes fan and I grew up listening to stuff like that. As you suggested though, I will start with V and then maybe check out some of the older Yes sounding stuff later. As for CM.....A MUST! you say? Well that settles it . Do they have only one disc out? I will check them out as my budget allows. You guys aren't the first to suggest them to me so I guess the time has come to pony up the dough. Good to hear how much you enjoyed the Enchant DVD. I will most likely be picking it up today.......so that means I will be viewing it tonight........after many beers of course :headbang: . Spiral Architect.....don't know much about them but I will check their website out maybe they got some songs to check out. PoS.........have heard many things about this band but have never had a chance to check them out *added to the list*. Again I appreciate you helping me spend my money and I most definitely look forward to meeting you in May. Also, I very much look forward to the Odins Court set. I checked out the songs from your MySpace and really liked what I heard. Are you guys gonna have some OC discs
available at the event? If so I will have to pick one up. Here's to BARfest and the killer lineup :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::kickass:
You're welcome! Hope they help.

Cool, if you are into the more old school prog rock sound, then you should definitely like SB. Since you are a fan of old Yes, you may even want to start with one of the older disks. V kinda bridges the gap between the old SB sound and the new.

Circus Maximus! Hell yeah dude! Awesome band and awesome disk. If you like Symphony X and Dream Theater, you will likely have no problems with this disk. The influences ring through, but I still think they have their own sound. Yes, they only have one disk out, but they played some new material at PP this past Sept. I'm sure the next release isn't too far off (I hope).

Enchant has been one of my favorites since I discovered them in the late 90s. I was so excited about the DVD since that is the only way I've been able to see them live (so far). May 4, 2007 and that will all be changed! :kickass: Assuming you picked it up, what did you like the most about them and the disk? Besides the beers......

Good luck on the Spiral Architect hunt. I'm sure that you can hunt down something from them somewhere.

I'll also be interested to hear your take on PoS. They are very much a love/hate kind of band. And usually an acquired taste. Well worth it though!

No problem! Cool! Its going to be a blast!I love playing live so I look forward to sharing our set with so many new people (many of which I already know). I'm very happy that you like what you've heard too! I know all the bands say this, but I really can't wait for you to hear our new material that we are currently recording! Yes, we will have merchandise with us. We'll probably bring some shirts (same guy who does Symphony X's shirts), DVDs, and CDs.

Here, here!! I'll drink to BAR Fest and ultra-killer lineup in an awesome city! :kickass: :kickass:

Glad to hear you discovering the new genre of music-- I had a similar revelation a few years ago when I discovered ProgPower and saw Spocks Beard open for DT-- I had no idea that ANY of these bands were out there-- I had pretty much stopped at Dream Theater and Queensryche.. Once I listened to Kamelot, Stratovarius, Sonata, Enchant, Angra and Nightwish I was blown away-- These are exciting times in music my friend!! Look forward to meeting you at the shows--

Yeah, by far my best discovery yet!!! Can't believe that this music was out there all along and I hadn't the slightest clue up until a little over three years ago. That is why I take it upon myself now, as much as possible, to spread the joys of these awesome genres to those who are blind as I once was. I agree very exciting times for us Metal fans......things seem to be moving in a very positive direction. Can't wait to meet all of you guys. In the past I have been kind of a guy that keeps to himself at events and just pretty much socializes with those who I go to the shows with. But with the birth of this great festival I have decided to change my ways in order to help make this a huge success. Plus I see how all of you talk to eachother like you are great friends and I think that is too cool. :headbang:

You're welcome! Hope they help.

Cool, if you are into the more old school prog rock sound, then you should definitely like SB. Since you are a fan of old Yes, you may even want to start with one of the older disks. V kinda bridges the gap between the old SB sound and the new.

Circus Maximus! Hell yeah dude! Awesome band and awesome disk. If you like Symphony X and Dream Theater, you will likely have no problems with this disk. The influences ring through, but I still think they have their own sound. Yes, they only have one disk out, but they played some new material at PP this past Sept. I'm sure the next release isn't too far off (I hope).

Enchant has been one of my favorites since I discovered them in the late 90s. I was so excited about the DVD since that is the only way I've been able to see them live (so far). May 4, 2007 and that will all be changed! :kickass: Assuming you picked it up, what did you like the most about them and the disk? Besides the beers......

Good luck on the Spiral Architect hunt. I'm sure that you can hunt down something from them somewhere.

I'll also be interested to hear your take on PoS. They are very much a love/hate kind of band. And usually an acquired taste. Well worth it though!

No problem! Cool! Its going to be a blast!I love playing live so I look forward to sharing our set with so many new people (many of which I already know). I'm very happy that you like what you've heard too! I know all the bands say this, but I really can't wait for you to hear our new material that we are currently recording! Yes, we will have merchandise with us. We'll probably bring some shirts (same guy who does Symphony X's shirts), DVDs, and CDs.

Here, here!! I'll drink to BAR Fest and ultra-killer lineup in an awesome city! :kickass: :kickass:

Symphony X is my favorite band and I very much like Dream Theatre so getting me this CM disc looks to be just over the horizon.

As for the Enchant DVD..........GONE. They sold it, my technique of hiding it in the wrong spot behind the In Flames DVD's didn't help. But I am not going to give in that easily. Tommorrow before my dreaded shift starts at 5pm, I will be searching many other record stores in my area for any of the discs I have been thinking of picking up. Plus after listening to a little more Enchant stuff on their website, I am very, very excited to get this DVD, so hopefully I will find it somewhere. If not I will probably be placing an online order very soon. It sucks that it is so difficult to find this type of music in your average record store. Waiting for CD's to come in the mail is terrible, always getting your hopes up on the walk out to the mailbox. To sum it up, I have a couple record stores in mind that I plan on hitting, hopefully i'll find at least something to hold me over until I can place and recieve my order.

I'll keep my eye out for some PoS stuff tomorrow and maybe I just might get lucky. I really look forward to forming my own opinion on this band.

Awesome!!! I'll definetly pick up a shirt if you bring some. Also I look forward to getting the two OC discs and the DVD *note to self.......sign up for some overtime*. Yeah new stuff is always great. And all bands say that this will be their best because it should be in their mind. I would hope there's not alot of bands out there thinking......."well this new album is probably gonna be like our third best, we just weren't really felling it like we were the last two."

Another Beer for BARfest and some headbanging too!! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Symphony X is my favorite band and I very much like Dream Theatre so getting me this CM disc looks to be just over the horizon.

As for the Enchant DVD..........GONE. They sold it, my technique of hiding it in the wrong spot behind the In Flames DVD's didn't help. But I am not going to give in that easily. Tommorrow before my dreaded shift starts at 5pm, I will be searching many other record stores in my area for any of the discs I have been thinking of picking up. Plus after listening to a little more Enchant stuff on their website, I am very, very excited to get this DVD, so hopefully I will find it somewhere. If not I will probably be placing an online order very soon. It sucks that it is so difficult to find this type of music in your average record store. Waiting for CD's to come in the mail is terrible, always getting your hopes up on the walk out to the mailbox. To sum it up, I have a couple record stores in mind that I plan on hitting, hopefully i'll find at least something to hold me over until I can place and recieve my order.

I'll keep my eye out for some PoS stuff tomorrow and maybe I just might get lucky. I really look forward to forming my own opinion on this band.

Awesome!!! I'll definetly pick up a shirt if you bring some. Also I look forward to getting the two OC discs and the DVD *note to self.......sign up for some overtime*. Yeah new stuff is always great. And all bands say that this will be their best because it should be in their mind. I would hope there's not alot of bands out there thinking......."well this new album is probably gonna be like our third best, we just weren't really felling it like we were the last two."

Another Beer for BARfest and some headbanging too!! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
OK, then it is decided, you are getting the CM disk. Dream Theater and Symphony X have long been at the top of my list. They take turns being #1. :lol:

Man, that suck! Sounds like something my kids try (hiding the thing they want so they go back and get it). Last time I was out that way, I found a killer store in Berkeley called Rasputin. Cool shop in a cool, crazy town.

Its hard to believe you'd have trouble finding Enchant anything in their stomping grounds! I've taken to ordering most of my stuff online these days. That, and I usually hit the vendors pretty hard at PP (thought: Dave, are you going to have vendors?). One of my favorite online vendors is www.laserCD.com. Also, where I do 95% of my business @ PP. He's in NJ so shipping to PA is always fast. I know it sucks, but the bottom line is that the music we all love is NOT the most popular out there. "Normal" record stores therefore limit the amount of inventory they carry in this genre. Luckily, Inside Out is big enough to where it isn't uncommon to find their products in CD shops. Good luck finding it locally!

Cool! I look forward to your thoughts about PoS.

Excellent! I can't imagine us not brining shirts and other merch. :lol: Tell me about it! Money has been flowing out way too easily and is going to continue in preparation for the fest. My Music Man just whacked out on me last week and the fret buzz is horrible. What's worse is that I haven't been able to successfully adjust the truss rod to fix it. Almost like no effect. And that is Ernie Ball's recommended adjustment method for action. So now I have to send it out. Yikes! Then, last night as I was getting ready to practice, my MIDI foot controller fried after being on for 10 minutes! THANK GOD it wasn't at a show!

Anyhow, glad that your hunt for great music is going well! And if we keep drinking a beer everytime we post here, we'll all be too drunk to make it to the show! :lol: So I see your beer and raise you a shot of Tuaca! :kickass: :kickass:

OK, then it is decided, you are getting the CM disk. Dream Theater and Symphony X have long been at the top of my list. They take turns being #1. :lol:

Man, that suck! Sounds like something my kids try (hiding the thing they want so they go back and get it). Last time I was out that way, I found a killer store in Berkeley called Rasputin. Cool shop in a cool, crazy town.

Its hard to believe you'd have trouble finding Enchant anything in their stomping grounds! I've taken to ordering most of my stuff online these days. That, and I usually hit the vendors pretty hard at PP (thought: Dave, are you going to have vendors?). One of my favorite online vendors is www.laserCD.com. Also, where I do 95% of my business @ PP. He's in NJ so shipping to PA is always fast. I know it sucks, but the bottom line is that the music we all love is NOT the most popular out there. "Normal" record stores therefore limit the amount of inventory they carry in this genre. Luckily, Inside Out is big enough to where it isn't uncommon to find their products in CD shops. Good luck finding it locally!

Cool! I look forward to your thoughts about PoS.

Excellent! I can't imagine us not brining shirts and other merch. :lol: Tell me about it! Money has been flowing out way too easily and is going to continue in preparation for the fest. My Music Man just whacked out on me last week and the fret buzz is horrible. What's worse is that I haven't been able to successfully adjust the truss rod to fix it. Almost like no effect. And that is Ernie Ball's recommended adjustment method for action. So now I have to send it out. Yikes! Then, last night as I was getting ready to practice, my MIDI foot controller fried after being on for 10 minutes! THANK GOD it wasn't at a show!

Anyhow, glad that your hunt for great music is going well! And if we keep drinking a beer everytime we post here, we'll all be too drunk to make it to the show! :lol: So I see your beer and raise you a shot of Tuaca! :kickass: :kickass:

Hey Man! Just got back from a very Metal week at Lake Tahoe to celebrate my B-Day. Man did we listen to a ton of kickass metal. Not to mention we did our fair share of drinking. Awesome Time! :kickass:

Yep, CM is going to the top of my list. Also......on kind of a side note.....is Symphony X's 'Paradise Lost' ever going to be released?

Rasputin you say? Well next time i'm in that area i'll have to check it out for sure.

As for my search for Enchant.....not going well. Looks like I will be having to add them to my online order. It's crazy that they do not have their stuff anywhere around here.

I found PoS's "Be" the other day at the local shop but passed on it and will keep looking for one of their older one's.

But there is some good news to come from all of this........I found Zero Hours "Specs..." and picked it up :kickass: , along with a few others such as Savatage's "Hall of The Mountain King" (used for only $5), Eidolon's "The Parallel Otherworld", and also Helloween's "Keeper's Pt. 1". So far I have only been able to listen to Zero Hour's latest about five times in two days. I don't know if I will ever be able to check the others out now. I'm addicted to ZH. It's a killer album, and I love Chris' vocals. He is a perfect fit for that band.

Well I better go make some more money....I have much more to check out. So I'll raise you one shot more, and I say we chase it with another ice cold brew. To BARfest :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Hey Man! Just got back from a very Metal week at Lake Tahoe to celebrate my B-Day. Man did we listen to a ton of kickass metal. Not to mention we did our fair share of drinking. Awesome Time! :kickass:

Yep, CM is going to the top of my list. Also......on kind of a side note.....is Symphony X's 'Paradise Lost' ever going to be released?

Rasputin you say? Well next time i'm in that area i'll have to check it out for sure.

As for my search for Enchant.....not going well. Looks like I will be having to add them to my online order. It's crazy that they do not have their stuff anywhere around here.

I found PoS's "Be" the other day at the local shop but passed on it and will keep looking for one of their older one's.

But there is some good news to come from all of this........I found Zero Hours "Specs..." and picked it up :kickass: , along with a few others such as Savatage's "Hall of The Mountain King" (used for only $5), Eidolon's "The Parallel Otherworld", and also Helloween's "Keeper's Pt. 1". So far I have only been able to listen to Zero Hour's latest about five times in two days. I don't know if I will ever be able to check the others out now. I'm addicted to ZH. It's a killer album, and I love Chris' vocals. He is a perfect fit for that band.

Well I better go make some more money....I have much more to check out. So I'll raise you one shot more, and I say we chase it with another ice cold brew. To BARfest :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
:puke: Whoops! Sorry, chasing that last shot brought back bad memories. :lol:

Dude, that sounds you had an awesome time! Happy Birthday!!

Cool! I really think you'll like it a lot! Yes, I know that they are putting some finishing touches on it. I think it may be coming out in June, just don't quote me on that. I can't remember for sure what I heard and don't have time right now to look it up. I've heard from people who have heard some of it that the wait will be beyond worth it! I can't wait!! New DT coming out too!! Woohooooo!!!!

Yeah, it was a pretty cool store. Oh, I thought you were from that area. I also think there are multiple Rasputin's.

That sucks. Very weird too. Maybe Ed could chime in here and tell a local where to go. ;) There was a local prog metal band from the area called Mystic-Force and I had the same problem. I'm even friends with the guys (almost auditioned back in 88 too) and had a hard time finding their CDs in Baltimore (where we all were raised). WHenI lived in Belgium for 3 months back in '93, I found their CDs in Germany and France! Crazy! I figured that times had changed and with Inside Out their CDs would be a bit more readily available.

Hahaha - probably a good thing to do for one's first exposure to PoS. THey are enough of an acquired taste as it is. Although people who like that album, rabidly like that album. I'm still waiting for it to click with me.

AWESOME!! I love that CD and still listen to it just short of every day (since I got it at PP in Sept). I have a ZH mix I use to work out to and Specs makes up most of that. Ooohh.. classic 'Tage - love that CD! THe other ones are cool too. Yeah, it may take a while to pry Specs out of your CD player if it has latched onto you! 100% agreed about Chris' vocals and fit!! Not only is he a perfect fit vocally, but personality too!

Same here. I have plane tickets and equipment to buy too!

:puke: Damn it! Can't keep it down today! :lol: Time to stagger back up to the bar! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

:puke: Whoops! Sorry, chasing that last shot brought back bad memories. :lol:

Dude, that sounds you had an awesome time! Happy Birthday!!

Cool! I really think you'll like it a lot! Yes, I know that they are putting some finishing touches on it. I think it may be coming out in June, just don't quote me on that. I can't remember for sure what I heard and don't have time right now to look it up. I've heard from people who have heard some of it that the wait will be beyond worth it! I can't wait!! New DT coming out too!! Woohooooo!!!!

Yeah, it was a pretty cool store. Oh, I thought you were from that area. I also think there are multiple Rasputin's.

That sucks. Very weird too. Maybe Ed could chime in here and tell a local where to go. ;) There was a local prog metal band from the area called Mystic-Force and I had the same problem. I'm even friends with the guys (almost auditioned back in 88 too) and had a hard time finding their CDs in Baltimore (where we all were raised). WHenI lived in Belgium for 3 months back in '93, I found their CDs in Germany and France! Crazy! I figured that times had changed and with Inside Out their CDs would be a bit more readily available.

Hahaha - probably a good thing to do for one's first exposure to PoS. THey are enough of an acquired taste as it is. Although people who like that album, rabidly like that album. I'm still waiting for it to click with me.

AWESOME!! I love that CD and still listen to it just short of every day (since I got it at PP in Sept). I have a ZH mix I use to work out to and Specs makes up most of that. Ooohh.. classic 'Tage - love that CD! THe other ones are cool too. Yeah, it may take a while to pry Specs out of your CD player if it has latched onto you! 100% agreed about Chris' vocals and fit!! Not only is he a perfect fit vocally, but personality too!

Same here. I have plane tickets and equipment to buy too!

:puke: Damn it! Can't keep it down today! :lol: Time to stagger back up to the bar! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Thanks Man! It was a great time. :headbang:

Yeah, I'm sure the SX disc will be worth the wait. I also will be looking to pick up the new DT. Speaking of DT....what are your favorites from them? I only own "Awake" and "SDoIT". Have been meaning to add a new one from DT for a while now.

I live in the Sacramento area, which is about an hour and a half from Berkely. I usually head that way about once or twice a month at least though, for concerts, sporting events, and other misc. crap. I'll have to def. check that place out though.

Yeah it's a mystery that should be solved. I would love to see some Enchant stuff become readily available in the area. I hope Ed can point me in the right direction. That would be great.

I like my first exposure to a band to be as good as possible. That's why it is important to get opinions from all of you guys.

"Specs...." is AWESOME!!! :kickass: I don't know first hand about the personality fit....just what i saw from them hanging out at PP last year. They all seemed like very cool and seemed to enjoy hanging with one another. :cool:

I'll meet you back at the bar....if I can find the damn thing. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

CIRCUS MAXIMUS!!! Awesome, awesome disk!! A MUST!! I really can't wait for their new disk either!

I second that! It's defiinitely a must for SymX and DT prog metal fans! :headbang:

Symphony X is my favorite band and I very much like Dream Theatre so getting me this CM disc looks to be just over the horizon. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

OK, then it is decided, you are getting the CM disk. Dream Theater and Symphony X have long been at the top of my list. They take turns being #1. :lol: :kickass: :kickass:

Symphony X has been my favorite current generation band for a long time. Dream Theater being in the top as well, or course. And the new Circus Maximus, as Rick said while being somewhat derivitive, it doesn't copy, but carries on the torch!

And, as it appears you like the technical side of things, then Spiral Architect and Zero Hour are no brainers.

I'll raise up a glass with ya', Hear! Hear! To BARFest, Prog and Metal!!! :kickass: :kickass:

You're welcome! Glad to hear that!!

Definitely! Symphony X has been one of the most consistent bands out there. Changing just enough to keep it interesting, but not so much as to alienate current listeners. I actually enjoy all the DT releases too, but they diverge so much that they tend to piss off listeners until people get used to the "new" sound. My favorite DT? That's EASY -- Images & Words - HANDS DOWN!! Great songs, great plaing, great production! The triggered snare sound gets to some, but I like it and it would hardly be a reason to hate the album. Awake is another favorite of mine. Falling Into Infinity took some getting used to, but I have thought that it always had some of their strongest material on it, just too much filler like Anna Lee, Buring My Soul, etc... But tracks like Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand, New Millenium make it great too. Scenes from a Memory is good too. I'm even one of the people that like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Train of Thought, and Octavarium. But I & W is my favorite. In fact, it is pretty much my favorite album of all times! A+++++

OK, gotcha. I guess that is a bit of a haul for a record store. I know they have other locations. I just checked. Nothing in Sacramento, it appears that Vallejo is about as close as they get to you. Check out their website to see all their locations in case ou happen to be going to one of these places.

http://www.rasputinmusic.com/locations.html

If you are going to the Enchant, Redemption, Zero Hour, Timeline show later this month in San Jose, they do have a location there too. Plus, I'm sure that Enchant would have it with them!

Yeah, that really is strange. Ed must be busy getting ready for that 3/24 show since he hasn't poked his head in here yet.

Cool. A bad first impression can definitely ruin it for people.

Totally agree with you here! That's cool. They are all very cool. Make sure you introduce yourself to them at the show -- you'll find out for yourself!

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding it too. The room keeps spinning on me! ;)
Thanks Man! It was a great time. :headbang:

Yeah, I'm sure the SX disc will be worth the wait. I also will be looking to pick up the new DT. Speaking of DT....what are your favorites from them? I only own "Awake" and "SDoIT". Have been meaning to add a new one from DT for a while now.

I live in the Sacramento area, which is about an hour and a half from Berkely. I usually head that way about once or twice a month at least though, for concerts, sporting events, and other misc. crap. I'll have to def. check that place out though.

Yeah it's a mystery that should be solved. I would love to see some Enchant stuff become readily available in the area. I hope Ed can point me in the right direction. That would be great.

I like my first exposure to a band to be as good as possible. That's why it is important to get opinions from all of you guys.

"Specs...." is AWESOME!!! :kickass: I don't know first hand about the personality fit....just what i saw from them hanging out at PP last year. They all seemed like very cool and seemed to enjoy hanging with one another. :cool:

I'll meet you back at the bar....if I can find the damn thing. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: