Which Seventh Wonder song....

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
...has the best lyrics in your opinion - or has lyrics/a subject you really can relate to and (therefore) has a special meaning to you?

One last goodbye.

But as for personal meaning, Devils .inc
Specifically
"I’m sorry i turned my back on you
Don’t know what to do
And why did i turn…?
God how it burns…
I’m covered in deep blue tonight
I’m sorry that i’ve turned my back on you
I hope you do forgive me tonight…"

Strangely enough for me its probably the Great Escape and Wiseman. I'm a big science nerd for one and believe greatly that humanity needs to clean its act up before we end up in a similar situation to those on the Aniara :p (well not exactly but something along those lines). I guess a lot of the lyrical themes in those songs speak to me more than others due to my opinions on the big questions rather than smaller personal ones.

EDIT:
As for favourite lyrics Wisemans:

"Every moment hit below the waterline
A tear in the design
The band's still playing but the captain resigns
As we're all going down
She's trying hard not to drown"

And favourite line
"Alone yet in the best of company" from Hide and Seek

I have some absolutely awesome friends but sometimes you can't help but feel alone.

Plus bonus points for "Tellus" :rofl:

at this very moment.... of course One Last Goodbye....... my daddy passed away one month ago...... I dedicate it to him.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Frankgate. I'd like to wish you and your family all the strength possible to process and overcome your great loss.

I love the lyrics to Black Parade. True and to the point:

'Cause when time runs out
All your fears will be in vain
Love the ocean
The sun and the rain may dry out

So much more than meets the eye
Live your life until you die
Why waste one more day

Have the child's open minded spirit
Watching with blue eyes
Ready to take on the world
'Cause in time fate calls out to us:
Take your place in the black parade

Also, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss Frankgate. Condolences to you and your family.

Obviously they're all decent and a lot have certain parts or lines that are really good. But for song with the best lyrics overall, Mercy Falls gets taken out of the equation a bit because they are all lyrics relating to the story, and none of them are so amazing in and of themselves to make them the best. They're all good in context but they don't really make for outstanding lyrics for a song - except for One Last Goodbye, as mentioned, just because it is so emotional and doesn't have to relate only to the story.

We won't let you go alone
But we have made a tragic decision,
because your wounds won't heal
It's the final solution

When every day hurts
And tears keep on falling, we're letting you go
The shadows are calling

The Great Escape - As a whole the story told by the lyrics is a great one, the same as Mercy Falls. But I'd say the lyrics themselves are amazing in parts of this song. On the other hand, some parts aren't so great, they are just fairly literal, describing the story lyrics. So yeah, this gets in there because sections of the lyrics are fantastic (especially A New Balance, Aftermath and Dining On Ashes), and the overall story they tell is also amazing.

Shine your light, be the beacon of hope at night
Perfect grace in the barren house of space
Shine your light, blind us when reality bites
Mima, save us from seeing ourselves

Wiseman - Originally I liked almost all other TGE songs better than this, and wasn't that fond of the lyrics either, but now it's one of my favourites, and was the first song I thought of for best SW lyrics, even before TGE. I still don't think the lyrics for the chorus are that great, even knowing the metaphor behind them, but the rest of the lyrics are brilliant. My favourite lines are probably:

What will you do every time your children turn to you?
Wondering when the world is gone, will we go too?

Pieces - The only one of mine so far that hasn't been mentioned already. I think it is similar to Wiseman in its meaning (also in how it is not overly blatant about it), though more emotional and delivered in a darker, more sinister way.

You are watching the world
While she's falling to pieces
But still you smile
And every time your babies cry, you hold them tight
Tell me, how do you sleep at night?

I'm really sorry to hear that, Frankgate.

Me too, dude!
But this kind of situations music could be quite healing. I remember when my dear grandmother passed away 8 years ago, and because I like to handle all of my emotions through music, I listened Dream Theater's The Spirit Carries On -song so many times during that time, and I found it very comforting.

So I truly believe One Last Goodbye will defenitely work in your case, Frankgate!

Frankgate, I am sorry about your loss. I can only imagine what you have been feeling.

For me, I'm ashamed to say that Long Way Home perfectly summarizes several periods in my life where I wasn't the best boyfriend/husband. Because I wasted a good chunk of my 20's and 30's, I find myself childless at 42. While I am married to a terrific woman now, I don't know if "the perfect family" is in the cards for us due to some health issues. And at times, I have wondered if anyone would notice if I just disappeared.

The song brilliantly sums up the regrets a man can have.

First of all, all the strength for Frankgate, my sister also died few months ago and it´s hard to continue but we have to.....

For me, I have a lot of songs that I like very much, but maybe WISEMAN.

Please Tell us a story of oceans and skies
Let's imagine this beautiful paradise before us rise
Now open your eyes
Watching this land
Once majestic and grand
Still I can't feel the truth in my hand
I keep spreading this bad disease
And fall down on my knees
Because I'm here to confess
And I'm sorry goddess!
But she's quiet today
Silent as if to say;
-Fly away!

Please Tellus a story of oceans and skies
Let's imagine this beautiful paradise before us rise
Now open your eyes
Watching this land
Once majestic and grand
Still I can't feel the truth in my hand
I keep spreading this bad disease
And fall down on my knees
Because I'm here to confess
And I'm sorry goddess!
But she's quiet today
Silent as if to say;
-Fly away!

FTFY

Your english was perfectly fine :).....

Indeed it was/is!

Welcome to the SW-forum, Schatz (I'm guessing you're from Germany...)!
All the strength and best wishes to you as well - it must have been a hard time for you losing someone that close to you!

This thread turns out to be a very special one. The personal stories and experiences add so much more depth to the meaning of the SW-songs.
It's wonderful to read that the lyrics have different levels in the way they are individually interpreted and therefore can have some sort of healing/strengthening effect as well: the real meaning of the song/or songmeaning within the context of a conceptalbum versus a seperate part of the songlyrics on a general level but with a very, very personal meaning.

Thank you so much for your contribution, everyone!!

For me it's Alley Cat. I think Tommy is singing those lyrics just for me! :D Just kidding! Black Parade and Edge Of My Blade are probably my favorite lyrically. No special meanings though.

Oh, thats a tough one. Right out of the blue I would say every song is my favourite (how inventive, isn't it?) :) , but if I had to choose...

WAITING IN THE WINGS - Album:

• NOT AN ANGEL
  • TAINT THE SKY

MERCY FALLS - Album:

Literally every song, sorry, can't choose here ! :D :D

THE GREAT ESCAPE - Album:

• ALLEY CAT
  • THE GREAT ESCAPE (absolute ueber-masterpiece!)
  • KING OF WHITWATER
  • MOVE ON THROUGH

Hard to choose between Perfection & Perfection ! :wave: