Which singers would you choose for an album?

Sad Madrigal

Happy
Mar 22, 2008
Let's say you are the new Ajren Anthony Lucassen and you must choose some singers for your album. Which ones would you choose?

Male:

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) - because is a legend and his voice is perfect
Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band) - because every time I hear his voice on Ayreon's "Day 16: Loser" I feel like ten towsands fists are hitting me at once
Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility) - because his voice is evil and would make a perfect character for a villain character:heh:
Garm (Ulver, Arcturus) - because he has a perfect voice and everything and I think he could fit as the main protagonist
Jonas Renkse (Katatonia, Bloodbath) - because he has such an emotion on his voice
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) - one of my favorite metal singers, and he could portray an antihero character
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica) - I need at least one power metal singer and Tony is the best one I can think of it
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath) - for all the reasons we all love him

Female:

Tarja Turunen - need I say more?
Marcela Bovio - I love her work with Ayreon and Stream of Passion
Irene Jansen - because her voice is so powerful

Add Arjen Anthony Lucassen on instruments and maybe vocals.

EDIT: forgot to add James Earl Jones as the narrator.:heh:

Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) - one of my favorite metal singers, and he could portray an antihero character
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica) - I need at least one power metal singer and Tony is the best one I can think of it

are you saying matt barlow isnt a power metal singer?

Well, Iced Earth, IMO is not power metal.
They may have some influences but as a whole is not power metal.

Well then you'd be wrong... Sure they've got more trash and heavy influences than most power metal but they most definately are power metal. Barlow rules though! :headbang: Otherwise this is a poor thread...

I have the Human Equation and 01, both are good but I like 01 much better... even if Mike kicks ass on THE.

hmmmm....

Male:

Dio (need I say more?)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Bloodbath, Opeth... duh) For his amazingly beautiful singing and the sickest grunts EVER. He's my favorite vocalist, ever. His cleans are soooooooooo beautiful and his grunts are IMO unmatched.
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) ... sadly impossible, but he's to this day one of if not my favorite vocalists.
Jonas P. Rensky (Katatonia) Awesomely melancholic.
Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle) I bet he'd decline though.
Mariusz Duda (Riverside, Indukti) I love his vocals, what a beautiful voice.
Mikko Kotamäki (Swallow the Sun) some of the best grunts EVER. I need at least ONE grunter. Mike could grunt a little too I guess, but I'd rather focus on his beautiful warm singing voice.
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) for his great vocal harmonies
Devin Townsend (DTB, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad) One of the most versatile singers ever.

Female:

Clare Torry (The female vocalist on The Great Gig in the Sky)
Simmone Simons (Epica) She's just goddessly (In voice and appearance)!
Anette Olzon (CURRENT Nightwish) I much prefer her vocals over Tarjan. Tarjan may be a better singer, but her voice is hard to enjoy IMO.
Nathalie Lorichs (Guest vox on Coil by Opeth)
Petronella Nettermalm (Paatos) Very calm, almost psychedelic voice. Very cool.

^^ Maynard. Most definately. He's incredable, can sing any style and conveys the most emotion I've heard from a voice.

Nemtheanga from Primordial is awesome. His voice makes me cry.

Arjen has already had a huge amount of amazing vocalists in his albums. I wouldn't be able to come up with that many new names. You guys are already recycling quite a few of them I see..

But let's say: Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun)

He could play the guitars too!

Chuck Schuldiner. Simply because he was metal's greatest voice, AND he could write a killer song on top of it. I wasn't a huge fan of his lyrics once they went all proggy, but the music still kicked ass.

i would have james labrie record hundreds of overdubbed tracks over himself, so it sounded like a chorus of james labries

G Tate - Queensryche (Hero)
R Halford - Judas Priest (Hero's Dad)
C Billy - Testament (Hero's Friend)
W Dane - Nevermore (Narrator, Soliloquy)
M Akerfeldt - Opeth (Villian)
Gaahl - Gorgoroth (the Gay Messiah)

Hah, yes, very true. I didn't see any guideline saying that the singer had to be alive, and since this is hypothetical... you know?

Lets see:

James Hetfield as the narrator.

Mikael Åkerfedt as the heroe. Haha, I could see him fit perfectly in a cheesy concept power metal story: CLEAN: I fought the evil dragon and killed him again... GROWL: BASTARD SON OF A BITCH WHY WON'T HE DIE???

Eric Adams (Manowar) as the evil king.

Karl Sanders (Nile) as the visionare.

Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain of Salvation) as the jolly good king.

Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone) as the dragon.

Jonas Renkse (Katatonia) as the gatekeeper.

Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth), Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity) and Dallas Toller-Wade (Nile) as the evil minions which the heroe must fight.

Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) as the captured princess.

This album would be awesome. :) I'd sell the film rights!!! :loco:

I'd have Dan Swanö, Luca Turilli (Rhapsody), Blakkheim (Katatonia), John Williams and Fenriz (Darkthrone) to write the music.

I wouldn't make a shitty concept album with lots of boring, predictable singers "playing" the roles of stereotypical characters in every fucking fantasy-story in the first place.