Which style do you play?

No band yet, but I'm hopeful to get some people together sometime. We'd play metal. I'm kind of looking to go for an Iced Earth and Death style. Maybe.

And I'd play guitar.

Metal Aphrodita said:
If you have a band/anykindofproject: which stlye(s) do you play? Similar bands? Which instrument do you play in your band?
I play in 4 bands:

Julie Laughs Nomore: Drums. The style, well to make it simple lets call it "melodic deathmetal"
Amaran: Bass. Melodic metal with female vocals.
Centinex: Drums. Oldschool deathmetal.
Mynjun: Drums. Opeth meets Mesuggah plus lots of blastbeats.

Links to the bands in my sig, check 'em out! :)

Presently, myself and another guy who has only two years experience playing (I play guitar, he plays drums) are doing a thrash metal project. He does the vocals for it and I play the bass. It's kind of an experiment in playing in a band as well as trying different instruments it also helps us exercise our creative minds in the music area.

I play in a band that fuses neoclassical guitar, death metal vocals, and power metal riffs. No, it doesn't sound like Children of Bodom though. More of a cross between Symphony X, Iced Earth, and tech death bands like Decapitated.

Me and a few mates r in a blackish thrash metal band (with elements of death and power metal). We have two songs down now which took us about 6 months. We like tremolo and we like the CHUNK!

I play in 2 bands:

Violator: Testament/Metallica meets Judas Priest and Iced Earth. Guitar.

Unquenchable Furnace: Almost true black metal, but just almost. We have a keyboard player in the band. Drums.

I don`t play in a band so far
I may get into a Death/Thrash-metal-band as their new bassist soon, but thats far from shure :D
I kinda have my own little project without a name so far. Its mainly Black Metal with melodicDeath and Thrash influences. I play guitars and do the vocals

then I sometimes meet with a friend to play some songs, we may start a band together in the future, which would probably be about the same style as my "project"

I'm not in a band, but I'm trying to put together a demo in the stoner doom/traditional doom and 70's blues rock influenced area. I'm liking Firebird (Bill Steer of Carcass' project), Orange Goblin, Place Of Skulls. These bands all have influences from 70's Brittish metal/rock. I play guitar and bass, sing, and I am learning drums and messing around with an organ kind of sound to fit in with that genre.

i play guitar, and very soon i will be a bassplayer (when my bass finally arrives). right now i'm working on learning to write music with 4 independent voices for the project i'm working on. i won't give the name away until i trademark it, because i really like the name. at any rate, i hope it will sound unique. as i mentioned it will have 4 independent voices. so most of the harmonies (besides powerchords of course) will be harmonized by the 4 instruments. hopefully the harmonies won't sound too traditional, though. i will try to retain some aspects of death metal, so hopefully it will have a dissection vibe, as they were one of the main inspirations for this musical vision. also, yes, this will be instrumental music. no vocals.

I don't play in a band, but I mostly play Classic Rock and Old School Metal. If I was going to play in a band, I'd want it to be groovy death metal with recognizable hooks, and catchy songs, but still nice and brutal. Sort of like Cannibal Corpse meets Obituary and Suffocation but with Extreme growling vocals like Iniquity.

Well, mostly I just play at home by myself and write all that I can. I moslty play what I like to call a mix of 'sad' and 'lite' music, but of course there's a ton of shred added in :D Where's the fun with guitar with out showing off and throwin in some bitching solos? Anyway the only group I play with right now is my school's Jazz ensemble, but that rocks cause jazz rythm is some decent practice, and the solos I have there ROCK.
Anyway, Always lookin for a band or someone to jam with, if any of you guys are in NC.
rock on
-needle-

I left both bands I was playing in, so I'm "bandless" now. It's hard to say what style I play. I listen to alot of classical music (anything baroque/romantic really) as well as a lot of melodic metal, so I guess that comes through. On the other hand, I like a lot of hardrock like Extreme (Nuno anyone?), AC/DC, Zep, Deep Purple, etc, and lots of blues and a bit of jazz. So there are two sides to my musical personality really. And they don't mix at all.

I kicked some Ass, and now into many bands... fuck my life is complicated...
I got one Melodic black Metal (lead)
2: Trash / Speed (lead)
1: Black Death (backup)
Play Alot of Inflames, DarkTRanquillity, ArchEnemy, Dissection, Soilwork, Emperor, Trying Dimension zero.....

I play a bunch of different styles....since playing, composing and arranging music is all I've done for a living for 13 of the 25 I've been a musician, I try to remain as versatile as possible...

Fusion is my primary personal focus (I just released a C.D.), but I play jazz, blues, progessive, pop, R&B, country, modern rock, gospel, funk....really whatever the musical moment calls for....it doesn't matter because I enjoy it all...

I play in many different settings...while guitar is my main instrument, I do gigs as a drummer, and gigs as a bassist, as well...

Here are some clips in various styles:

From my C.D. on Progressive Arts

Give It Time-Sjones © 2002-FUSION

Other unreleased stuff:

Sjones-Skunk Funk Jam FUSION

Sjones-In a Dream © 2003 Scott Jones PROG INSTRUMENTAL ROCK

Sjones-blues with wah-2-2003 BLUES

Sjones-Sitar solo © 2003 Scott Jones McLaughlin/Shakti-like JAM

Sjones-Shred Ballad Jam#1 G-3 ish INSTRUMENTAL ROCK

Sjones-slow blues BLUES

Sjones-WAVE-2001 JOE PASS STYLE SOLO JAZZ GUITAR

SJones-country tune BRENT MASON/ALBERT LEE STYLE COUNTRY

Sjones-Shred Ballad Jam #2 G-3 ish INSTRUMENTAL ROCK

Sjones-GIANT STEPS-AUG 2003 CLEAN JAZZ SOLOING...COLTRANE'S TUNE

Sjones-COUNTDOWN CLEAN JAZZ SOLOING...COLTRANE'S TUNE

Sjones-VIBEY-solo-GUITAR HENDRIX/LANDAU-style SOLO ROCK GUITAR

Sjones-On the Way Down ©2002 MODERN ROCK

Sjones-modern piece for nylon string © 2003 Scott Jones MODERN PIECE

Sjones-smooth jazz jam CLEAN FUSION

I write and arrange in more styles for other instruments all the time...

Here are a couple clips of my composing, away from guitar:

Sjones-String Quartet in F Major-LIVE performance 3-1999 © 1999 STRING QUARTET

Sjones-Wonders of the Universe ©2001 PLANETARIUM SHOW SOUNDTRACK

My Country Tis of Thee-Sjones: arranger LATIN JAZZ w-HORN SECTION

Anyway, just sharing a bit about what I do...hope that's cool...

Peace,

Scott