Which upgrade would be better?

iraobryan

Jul 7, 2009
So I'm ready to buy some new gear. The question is, what would be the biggest improvement? I'm considering new overhead mics, a preamp, some V30's, or maybe new software (SVX, or a comp). I'm leaning more towards hardware upgrades. My thoughts are some Oktava's, 2 Pre73's, or maybe a decent single preamp for about $600 US. What do you guys think?

Here's what I have:

SM57 x 2
MXL 2001 x 2 (for overheads)
D4
D112 (usually replace kick)
AT3035
CAD GXL 2000 (i think that's the model)

Pre's are a Studiomaster 16-4-2 mixer
Interface: MBox2Pro, LynxOne, and Tascam TSR8 reel to reel
Monitoring: Mackie MR5's, ATH-M40fs

Generally, the earlier in the signal chain something is, the more effect it will have on the final sound.

Example -

Player/Instrument/Room ---> Mic ---> Mic Pre ---> Interface

What are you happy/unhappy with currently?

I'd probably look at picking up a better pair of overheads (such as the Oktavas), a great snare drum, or a good all-purpose dynamic (like the Shure SM7B or Heil PR30/PR40), etc.

Excellent monitors/room treatment are a must as well, though a great professional set of monitors will probably run at least $1000/pair.

I would say better interface to be honest... what is your primary DAW?

Actually, I thought about that too. My primary DAW is PT, but I've used Reaper for a couple of mixes. I like editing in PT, so the only interface i could upgrade to would be a Profire 2626. I would like one, but having to buy M-Powered PT puts me over what I'm trying to spend. I suppose if someone is interested in buying the MBox2 Pro that would make up the difference.

I left monitors off my list because I can't afford the ones I want yet. Wish I could go that way! The Heil PR30 and the SM7b are both on my list. Right now what I like the least about my set up is a toss up. I've been thinking preamp because I hate recording everything through the same pre's. I can live with my interface, but my mic collection is pretty weak.

I can go through the mixer to tape, then dump to PT for editing and overdubs, or go straight through the Mbox2 Pro. I haven't done either yet. Last time my band recorded we went to a friends to use his gear, then I did overdubs. With the straight to PT route I'd be using the spdif out on the Lynx card, to the in on the Mbox. I'd still have to use the mixer for at least those 2 inputs, since the Lynx doesn't have pre's.

I should mention that I will only be running 6 mics for drums: 2 x OH, Top snare, Rack Tom (drummer only uses 1), Floor Tom, and Kick.