Which Windows OS for PT8?

Seth Munson

How do Amber Lamps?
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado Springs
Trying to figure out if I want XP or W7 for my new comp which will be running PT8.

I had W764 in the past but had to downgrade back to XP32 because at the time Avid wasnt support PT for W7. Now if I remember correctly since then they started supporting W7 or am I mistaken? I would prefer W7 if I could choose, but for obvious reasons will pick XP if I need to for the sake of PT running better.

Anyone running PT8 with Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? How is it treating you?

Thanks guys :)

They have started offering windows 7 support however I haven't changed the system over from xp. If I'm not mistaken they dropped xp support when they picked up w7. If you're buying, ie. you don't already own the install disks, I'd go 7.

UPDATE: After searching around Avid's site (which is always a PITA for me) I found this under the 8.0.4 update, Full support for Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

So would it be wise for me to go 32 or 64 bit? I cant really see why 64 would be a bad choice if its fully supported.

Yea too bad Avid's 6 hour site maintenance lasted over 12 hours and I couldn't get a download all day yesterday.
I swear I was clicking refresh every 5-10 mins and wasted the whole day lol