Windows 7 Professional - worth it for XP mode?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey folks, thinking of finally jumping into the W7 world (still on good ol' rock-solid XP), and the only difference between Home Premium and Professional I can find (that I care about) is the availability of Windows XP mode, which seems to be like a virtual PC of sorts. Is this worth spending the extra for professional? Or in other words, for those who have it, have you ever found the need to use it for backwards compatibility with any of your audio software?

Thanks!

win7 can be problematic but it's more recent than XP so you will have some advantages.
if you have money i suggest you to buy an Imac,i was using windows XP and now im on a new imac really fucking fast and i don't have crushing problems

Anyone know if they've fixed compatibility with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Win7? I was using Win7 before with it, but was getting constant audio dropouts, so I went back to XP and haven't had a problem since. It would be nice to try ProTools 9, but I'd need to install Win7 again, and if my interface isn't going to work still, fuck that :p

Go for it, I'm gonna upgrade to Home in a week.
I have a quadcore with 4gb of ram and on XP cubase can only use 1.7gb of my ram. 32bit windows will get you up to 4gbs of ram in cubase but if you wanna use more than that you need 64 bit.
Some plugs don't support 64 bit but you can get a bit of software to make them run. I think the advantage of even running more ram in 32bit is worth it.
In 2001 when XP was released most PCs had 256 or 512mb of ram. Crazy stuff!

Anyone know if they've fixed compatibility with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Win7? I was using Win7 before with it, but was getting constant audio dropouts, so I went back to XP and haven't had a problem since. It would be nice to try ProTools 9, but I'd need to install Win7 again, and if my interface isn't going to work still, fuck that :p

Really dude? You shouldnt be getting that on win 7!

I got a Saffire pro 24 on win 7 x64 and never experienced a drop out. Those drop outs were probably cause by some other hardware (I'd bet all my money on a wifi network interface)

Been using Win 7 for some time before hand used XP,must say it's been pretty good.

Used to use Cub/Endo as well as PT. Pt work's like a charm Nuendo has issue's on playback i can't seem to work out the cause,so i've dropped it.

Some minor driver issue's here and there but for what it's worth works really well,i don't believe you'll regret it.

Also for what it's worth i have looked at this site for some tips on how to allow my audio to operate better on this operating system.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1071

Cheers

Really dude? You shouldnt be getting that on win 7!

This was a few months ago, they might have updated drivers since then? I dunno, it worked better than the Firepod I had before it, but it was still annoying as hell having to reset the unit everytime it locked up... especially when it was happening in the middle of tracking something :mad:

I got a Saffire pro 24 on win 7 x64 and never experienced a drop out. Those drop outs were probably cause by some other hardware (I'd bet all my money on a wifi network interface)
The computer I'm using has no WIFI and was optimized via Focusrite's suggestions.

You guys have any opmimization tutorial for W7?

1. Turn off automatic updates
Never update unless it solves an issue for you
2. Disable security center
You don't need it if your not a retard
run > services.msc > security center > disable

3. Notice that there are Legacy FireWire drivers in Win7 that can help with some interface problems.
This is something I discovered a long time ago when the Presonus FireStudio Project didn't have Win7 drivers.
Device Manager >> IEEE1394 bus host controllers >properties > driver tab > update driver > browse my computer > select from list > select legacy > Next

You're making a decision based a legacy operating system, *TEN YEARS OLD* ??? I'm going to give you some awesome advice on the matter.

XP is like the lingering girlfriend that you broke up with, the one that threatens to kill herself if you don't take her back.

1. Sever (format)
2. Don't look back (break your XP discs)
3. Get on with your life (Enjoy the progression of technology)

Can't wait for the day that people look back on XP, much in the same way that we remember Windows 95 - a distant, diseased memory.

You're making a decision based a legacy operating system, *TEN YEARS OLD* ??? I'm going to give you some awesome advice on the matter.

XP is like the lingering girlfriend that you broke up with, the one that threatens to kill herself if you don't take her back.

1. Sever (format)

Can't wait for the day that people look back on XP, much in the same way that we remember Windows 95 - a distant, diseased memory.

Very well stated.

XP mode is pretty useless. I have one old app that needs it and I could live without it. Not to mention the app doesn't work that well with XP mode. Don't expect anything running on Win 7 in XP mode to work just as it did on Windows XP either. See it as an issue with running such an old app as an actual issue with Win 7. It's probably quite amazing Win 7 can run such an old app at all! Win 7 is great. Everything else I run just works on Win7 natively.

1. Sever (format)

The irony is, this advice is more relevant for my relationship situation than my computer one :lol: