While Heaven Wept

New song. So epic.

[youtube]2lpDxEQMGCc&[/youtube]

I was there! WHW was not the reason to attend this festival, but they managed to offer us a great show. My only complaint is Rain's performance, which was not the best, but the whole show left me satisfied.

We are waiting for the new album and we hope that it will be as good as the previous one. :)

This song is fantastic. I simply can't wait for the new album! And Rain is so good, it hurts. :)

Ok, so WHW being added to Prog Power has opened your mind to doom, which is cool and all.

Please tell me, esp if you like WHW, that you have given CANDLEMASS a chance.. If not, I will cry!!!!!

Ok, so WHW being added to Prog Power has opened your mind to doom, which is cool and all.

Please tell me, esp if you like WHW, that you have given CANDLEMASS a chance.. If not, I will cry!!!!!

I like Candlemass. They're still on my list of "to buy." :p

Also, I liked WHW way before they were added to ProgPower. I'm a sponsor, after all.

If the sponsor for Tyr decided to sponsor WHW, I am looking forward to my first listen in about... 15 minutes (on my iPod, they are slated to come up after Dream Evil finishes).

*crossing fingers I love it*

EDIT - Okay, so if THIS is "Doom", well, then I guess I like doom. I hear too many crossthreads of music to pigeonhole these guys. Heck - in the opening of "The Furthest Shore" I hear classical guitar, some neat keybord odyssey a la Dennis DeYoung, some "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" vibe, and then lyrics with clean harmonies on the chorus.

So, Jason, which Candlemass should I start with, because I guess I like "Epic Doom Metal."

Who knew?

Well, WHW are not traditional doom.
So don't fire up the bong, and whip out the Saint Vitus records just yet!!!!! :)

For Candlemass, start with either Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (probably one of the top 20 greatest metal records of all time), or Nightfall.

WHW is blazing a trail of epic awsomeness through my skull today. ProgPower XII is going to slay metaphorical dragons while choirs of wicked hot angels sing carols of ecstacy through the heavens. Dogs and Cats will forgive each other all prior sins, and the Federal Budget may even balance.

I want to find the guy who posted that I should give this year a pass, and smack him upside the head with a pizza.

A deep dish, sausage pizza. Not from Lou's, though.

checked out Solstice via Myspace (and it took awhile to find the right Solstice, too) and it sounds pretty good. :) There doesn't seem to be too much to the singer's voice, though. :/
Solstice is my all-time favorite doom metal band, so mighty and thunderous. I like that their singer is so understated, like this wandering minstrel singing tunes of lore across the smokey pubs of Britain. If it's any consolation though, almost every recording by Solstice seems to feature a different singer and they are currently without a full-time singer right now. Seriously though, if you don't like Solstice, you don't like "epic".

Also seconding Jasons' rec for the utterly captivating DOOMSWORD. If I were to add another band to the mix, I would say SORCERER from Sweden. If you want standout vocals, Sorcerer will give you standout vocals!

A bit of a sidebar, but WHW recently setup a Twitter account.

"@ProgPowerUSA Cheers! And thanks for the incredible support leading up to the show! We cannot wait for it!"

~Jen

If the sponsor for Tyr decided to sponsor WHW, I am looking forward to my first listen in about... 15 minutes (on my iPod, they are slated to come up after Dream Evil finishes).

Awwwe. :)

Yes, WHW aren't really traditional doom, which, much to Jason's chagrin, is probably why I like them so much. I've found plenty of doom to be musically interesting, but then immediately been turned off by the singers. I've found that plenty of doom singers don't have a whole lot going on vocally, which for me is a disappointment. There really need to be more singers like Rob Lowe, Rain Irving, and Thomas Vikström in doom.

Yes, WHW aren't really traditional doom, which, much to Jason's chagrin, is probably why I like them so much. I've found plenty of doom to be musically interesting, but then immediately been turned off by the singers.

Completely understood.
Hence why I steered Fizz above away from Saint Vitus, or any other doom band with more of a stoner rock vocalist.

People tend to lump bands like WHW in the doom category.
They have doom elements, but I wouldn't really call them a full on doom band.

Not a fan of Messiah?

Don't like Messiah, then I have just a few words for ya.....
leavethehall_black.png