While Heaven Wept

If the sponsor for Tyr decided to sponsor WHW, I am looking forward to my first listen in about... 15 minutes (on my iPod, they are slated to come up after Dream Evil finishes).

*crossing fingers I love it*

EDIT - Okay, so if THIS is "Doom", well, then I guess I like doom. I hear too many crossthreads of music to pigeonhole these guys. Heck - in the opening of "The Furthest Shore" I hear classical guitar, some neat keybord odyssey a la Dennis DeYoung, some "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" vibe, and then lyrics with clean harmonies on the chorus.

So, Jason, which Candlemass should I start with, because I guess I like "Epic Doom Metal."

Who knew?

start with Nightfall, hands down the album that defines their sound

I've been listening to Candlemass since Epicus came out, myself and a good friend of mine were the only thrash maniacs that devoured doom back then (all of our other thrash buddies were turned off cuz they were "too slow"), I've met all the guys, got autographs, seen live, etc....but I digress, purchase them in this order:

Nightfall
Epicus...Doomicus...Metallicus(debut, Messiah NOT on vox but Johan Lanquist)
Ancient Dreams
Tales of Creation
Chapter VI (Tomas Vikstrom on vox, most underrated album in the catalog)
S/T
King of the Grey Islands (Robert Lowe on vox)
Death Magic Doom (Robert Lowe on vox)
Dactylis Glomerata (Bjorn Flodquist on vox)
From the 13th Sun (Bjorn Flodquist on vox)

I list vocalists cuz Marcolin is signature to defining the bands sound...so there you go, have at it!

I thought he was talking to me. :p

Okay - so I was taking to BOTH of you.

My son (7 yr old) really liked the WHW I put on a PP XII sampler for him... and my wife actually listend to Voyager while discussing some family finance stuff on Sunday, and didn't ONCE say "can you please turn down that crap?"

I see PP becoming a family outing before too long... just have to be patient.

**note** Listening to my fist DarkWater track ("Breathe") right now - holy CRAP, how does Glen do this every year?

From WHW's facebook:

The first insight into "Fear Of Infinity" is now online in the form of "Destroyer Of Solace"; apologies for the shoddy sound quality but MySpace's encoding ain't the best, and believe me, there's a lot more to this album than the couple minutes presented here...nevertheless...without further ado....

http://www.myspace.com/whileheavenwept

~Jen

The new While Heaven Wept (Fear of Infinity) arrived a couple days ago and it hasn't left my stereo and has been the go-to cd on my IPOD. I've already spun it over 10 times, with the bulk of the plays being complete play-throughs-- just unreal.

Prior to VOL I was a bit apprehensive about Phillips turning over the vocal duties, but after the last two albums those fears have been simply crushed.

Granted it's the honeymoon period, but I'd be extremely satisfied if they played this entire album at the fest-- that's still leave room for an epic and a couple more (*cough* Vessel*cough*The Drowning Years*)....

I'm off for another spin...

start with Nightfall, hands down the album that defines their sound

I've been listening to Candlemass since Epicus came out, myself and a good friend of mine were the only thrash maniacs that devoured doom back then (all of our other thrash buddies were turned off cuz they were "too slow"), I've met all the guys, got autographs, seen live, etc....but I digress, purchase them in this order:

Nightfall
Epicus...Doomicus...Metallicus(debut, Messiah NOT on vox but Johan Lanquist)
Ancient Dreams
Tales of Creation
Chapter VI (Tomas Vikstrom on vox, most underrated album in the catalog)
S/T
King of the Grey Islands (Robert Lowe on vox)
Death Magic Doom (Robert Lowe on vox)
Dactylis Glomerata (Bjorn Flodquist on vox)
From the 13th Sun (Bjorn Flodquist on vox)

I list vocalists cuz Marcolin is signature to defining the bands sound...so there you go, have at it!

I was looking at that list, and...
You know, it's interesting because my list is pretty much a polar inverse of yours, in terms of which albums I personally enjoy, but is about the same for what I'd recommend other people.

Regarding Solstice:
The only album I have of theirs is New Dark Age, and the awesome, ballsy strength of the instrumental aspect carries me over the (IMO) relatively weak and limited range of vocal delivery, where I feel the singer tends to dominate the recordings by just straight up singing too much. Given that is the case, is there another album or EP I should look to that addresses this, or is that just a -thing- for them? Better yet, is there a karaoke version of this album?

-edit-
Well, looking at the band's wikipedia entry, that looks not to be the case. Damn.

Lamentations has a different singer, who is lower but IMO pretty similar to the NDA guy. And their EP has the same singer as NDA.

Actually, let me clarify that: "Lamentations" and "Halcyon" feature Simon Matravers. I replaced him between 1995-1997 until circumstances lead to me refocusing on WHW exclusively, and Moz Ingram came in for "New Dark Age". There were several other singers prior on the early demos, Solstice is currently rising again...with a new singer still to be announced.