Better Know a Band: While Heaven Wept

Eh that's not really PP specific though. I'd say that's how the music world in general is.

That's true. But considering we were specifically talking about the festival, I figured that would apply to it very well, considering some of the posts/comments I've seen/heard both on the forum and at the festival.

Dismissing a band entirely simply because you don't know it (and never bothering to even giving them a chance) is nothing but a display of ignorance.

Excellent interview you posted Tom. It's good to know there are still bands like you guys that don't feel the need to inflate their albums with filler. I've always been big on bands having 8-10 excellent tracks that hit the 45-50 minute mark than bands that feel they need 13-16 tracks that pushes the cd length to its limit.

Dismissing a band entirely simply because you don't know it (and never bothering to even giving them a chance) is nothing but a display of ignorance.

Amen to that. I still find this strange to this day on this forum in particular where new bands are discussed daily, yet there's still a number of people who think because they haven't heard of a band, they're bad. I don't remember who it was, but I know someone recently said that they tend not to open threads where an unknown band name is the title, which truly is a shame.

I must admit Milt, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of WHW before the announcement considering this time last year, a lot of people were talking about how great their new album was.

I know someone recently said that they tend not to open threads where an unknown band name is the title, which truly is a shame.

A shame is an understatement. I would use a different word, but people would call me rude. :lol: I am real curious as to whom that was, though.

nomisofsiman said:
I must admit Milt, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of WHW before the announcement considering this time last year, a lot of people were talking about how great their new album was.

It's so funny, I must have completely missed out on the thread (if it was posted here). Good things happen to those who wait, I suppose.

The preview of the DVD looks great. It's so interesting how things happen... I admit that before the announcement, I had no idea who While Heaven Wept was. That being said, it is one of my favorite "new" bands.

I am really looking forward to seeing these guys next year. They're quickly rising to the top of of the list.

This is me to a tee!

I consider myself pretty learned when it comes to bands in our cherished genre of metal...but at the same time I admit to being a little closed minded when it comes to bands from the US. I am a Euro snob and wear it around like a badge of honor and because of this, I never gave WHW a chance. So when WHW was announced at ProgPower, that's when my jouney of discovery began.

I gotta tell you something...I can't stop playing "Vast Oceans Lachrymose"! It is one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard...it is epic, melodic, anthemic, classical in structure and there are times that it nearly brings me to tears..."While I Wept".

I so look forward to seeing them next Fall and look forward getting my hands on the back catalogue, and the new exciting discs to be released in the coming months!

This is me to a tee!

I consider myself pretty learned when it comes to bands in our cherished genre of metal...but at the same time I admit to being a little closed minded when it comes to bands from the US. I am a Euro snob and wear it around like a badge of honor and because of this, I never gave WHW a chance. So when WHW was announced at ProgPower, that's when my jouney of discovery began.

I gotta tell you something...I can't stop playing "Vast Oceans Lachrymose"! It is one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard...it is epic, melodic, anthemic, classical in structure and there are times that it nearly brings me to tears..."While I Wept".

I so look forward to seeing them next Fall and look forward getting my hands on the back catalogue, and the new exciting discs to be released in the coming months!

First of all, I want to thank you on behalf of all of WHW for having a listen, and beyond that for the very kind words regarding "VOL"...we all appreciate it very much...everyone's warm welcome into the world of PP really...the truth is we're all prog aficionados, but more in the "classic" sense (i.e. Crimson, Floyd, Pulsar, Grobschnitt, Magma, etc.)...apart from the obvious early Arch-era Fates Warning influences...we've existed in this parallel world for 20 years, and honestly, we always hoped to "cross over" but never had a desire to force ourselves upon anyone either; we're very content being one of the defining examples of "Epic Doom Metal", yet also ecstatic to push the boundaries and break beyond that too.

Since the PP XII announcement, we've had the pleasure of talking to some of the folks here, many of whom had no idea who we were previously, and it's truly been an honor and pleasure...your support is truly humbling and we hope that despite on the surface WHW @ PP may seem odd...I mean the first "Doom Metal" band to ever share that stage...that in the end, it will be clear that we're NOT just a Doom Metal band at all, but in fact, one of the most progressive examples of music coming from our "world" (I mean genre-specific realms); the truth is we've never felt entirely comfortable headlining Doom Metal festivals and so forth because we've always been something of a black sheep - I fought for many years to clarify the definition of TRUE, pure doom metal against the industry...this of course being, if it doesn't sound like Sabbath, Vitus, or perhaps also Cmass, it's simply NOT pure doom, rather a hybrid or a misnomer (depending on the band in question); WHW is NOT pure Doom or anything else, rather we simply create "WHW Music" which is really more of an universal metal...drawing equally from Doom, Prog, Thrash, Prog Metal, Post Rock, Ambient, Black Metal, Dark EU jazz, Krautrock, modern and Romantic classical, etc.

So we're all hoping our inclusion makes a bit more sense now...despite it being a big surprise for us to be invited, we feel like it does make sense ultimately (Thank you again Glenn).

And for everyone that is only just now discovering who we are and what we do, first of all, thank you for taking the time to listen...we couldn't ask for more. Secondly, don't feel as if you "missed the boat" years ago just because we've been at it for two decades already; we consciously took a different path, away from North America simply because the EU embraced us from the beginning & we knew there wasn't really a place for us here. And perhaps that is still the case, but we've made an effort recently to peform in every city that even one friend or fan has requested...Atlanta is one of those...and PP XII fulfills that, so that's what it's all about in the end.

Believe me, we're as excited as you are to share this moment on September 17th...it may be the only show we do in the US in 2011...but again...to share the stage with Arcturus is a dream come true really...and also to express ourselves in a forum that is "outside of the norm" for us...the open-mindedness that has been demonstrated here really does define truly progressive mentalities...and I am thankful for that.

If everyone was hemmed up on Dream Theater clones, there would never be a true progression. Thus, again, thank you Glenn & everyone who has warmed to the idea of us being a part of this.

And for a brief exclusive...here are the next two teasers from "Triumph:Tragedy:Transcendence"

and

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, I know that the DVD will be limited to 3,000...but you guys may want to secure a few for ProgPower, as well. This fest is a great chance for bands to make some cash by selling "Holy Shit that was Awesome" impulse-buy merch.

Tom, I know that the DVD will be limited to 3,000...but you guys may want to secure a few for ProgPower, as well. This fest is a great chance for bands to make some cash by selling "Holy Shit that was Awesome" impulse-buy merch.

Well I certainly appreciate the sentiment, and we will bring some very cool items to the fest, the fact is, cash really has never been a priority...otherwise we'd probably be playing music that is more profitable...we've existed through countless trends doing our thing, and that's not going to change ever. That said, we're not adverse to cash either...otherwise, we might never finish another album :) (All WHW releases to date have been self-financed 100%)

Just a brief update...."Triumph:Tragedy:Transcendence" CD/DVD set will now be released on November 20th in the EU and December 7th in the US; Sony DADC Austria has strict standards for their DVD replication, and we had to adjust some technical problems....but the pressing is moving forward now without incident.

Also, I held the 2LP version in my hands this weekend while in Germany...it turned out absolutely incredible & Mike at Maniacal Records here in Virginia already has copies for sale. You can reach him via Maniacalrecords AT aol.com

Cheers!

Sweet! An early holiday gift for myself! The big question is, where will be able to purchase the CD/DVD from in the states?

Pretty easily actually.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Transcendence-While-Heaven-Wept/dp/B0041R463K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288124907&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Transcendence-While-Heaven-Wept/dp/B0041R463K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288124907&sr=8-2[/ame]

I've uploaded a couple more videos to YouTube from the DVD, and wanted to let everyone here know!

Apologies for the "glitch" from 4:24-4:32; this clip was assembled from two separate files & this was the best I could do. This does not reflect the content of the final DVD, which is flawless in this regard.

And our 20+ minute epic (tends to vary due to improvised segments):

and

Just got my CD/DVD in the mail. Epic win.

I got mine a few days ago from Cruz del Sur. I listened to the CD at work and watched the DVD; but not the extras.

I want to make ANOTHER WHW thread about how awesome they are going to be at ProgPower just based on how awesome their performance is on the DVD.

And Jesus Christ the lineup at Hammer of Doom III was amazing.

I think it's time to commit to buying some releases, is Lovesongs of the Forsaken on cd yet? I know of an LP reissue but not sure if there's a cd one yet