Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Mayhem

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Burzum

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Darkthrone

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters
burzum --> how can anyone keep listening to his voice :s ... I love the music, I just wish I could buy the album with the vocals filtered away, horrible :s

why isn't Dark Funeral included?
and owkey, nowadays it's not "cool" anymore, but Dimmu Borgir was right there from the start and they co-invented symphonical black metal ... and listen to For All Tid and Stormblast, those aren't classics?

my favourite BM band is Nëhemah, but I agree that for the title Kings they should be there in the beginning. therefor: Bathory idd! and why not Venom?
oh well ... I voted Darkthrone on this list.

Morpha said:
How are they kings of black metal? Not even fucking close. All those bands he listed had better albums, besides Mayhem and Samael (I don't like them much). I mean, I love black metal and all, but Ulver doesn't even play black metal anymore, and they started later than those bands did. They weren't originators or anything. Good music, but no way they are close to the real kings of black metal.

Even though I agree with you, none of the bands listed are the 'originators' of black metal. From what I can see they are all 2nd wave.

Emperor! Followed by Burzum... don't like Mayhem very much without Dead, too bad he committed suicide but it all makes for a good story i suppose...

Never liked Immortal or Darkthrone especially...

Black Session said:
and owkey, nowadays it's not "cool" anymore, but Dimmu Borgir was right there from the start and they co-invented symphonical black metal ... and listen to For All Tid and Stormblast, those aren't classics?

that entire statement was absolutely unforgivable.

A. they were NOT anywhere near there from the "start"
B. Stormblast is NOT good...its silly amateurish circus black metal.
C. For All Tid = refer to point "B." ^
D. Are they classics? Far from it. Refer to points "B." & "C."

And id like to add that NOT a single one of you has mentioned maybe the most overlooked and underrated black metal legacy that probably ever graced the genre...which is Abigor. This doesnt surprise me much considering the demographic this forum is currently constituted of...but you people need to start digging a bit.

NineFeetUnderground said:
And id like to add that NOT a single one of you has mentioned maybe the most overlooked and underrated black metal legacy that probably ever graced the genre...which is Abigor. This doesnt surprise me much considering the demographic this forum is currently constituted of...but you people need to start digging a bit.

I am sure people know Abigor and like Abigor. But even if you put Abigor in this list of bands, I still would vote for Emperor and I still don't think people will vote for them. The fact no one has mention them says enough.

We could on go forever listing black metal bands that should be in this list, I mean, where is Limbonic Art for example? But I am not fussed cause I would still vote for Emperor. For me, they are the undisputed kings and for me, no other black metal band comes close to their musicianship.

Ikil

Ikil said:
I am sure people know Abigor and like Abigor. But even if you put Abigor in this list of bands, I still would vote for Emperor and I still don't think people will vote for them. The fact no one has mention them says enough.

We could on go forever listing black metal bands that should be in this list, I mean, where is Limbonic Art for example? But I am not fussed cause I would still vote for Emperor. For me, they are the undisputed kings and for me, no other black metal band comes close to their musicianship.

Ikil

Limbonic Art arent even in the same LEAGUE as Abigor and Emperor...that is why. And anyone who has actually heard enough Abigor material to be deemed competent, should know that their musicianship easily matches that of emperor. But somehow i feel like im talking to a brick wall right now.

Well mate, for what I have heard of Abigor, they don't fit with Emperor, not all their material at least.

And no, Limbonic art may not be in the same league as Emperor , but they were better than the majority of black metal bands.

Ikil

why is it that when one asks for THE greatest band of some genre, there are always those who name bands that aren't famous at all ... as if 99% of people are so stupid that they only know famous bands that by definition then aren't that good ...
very strange ...

and ow, Dimmu Borgir was there yes ... I mean of course in what someone here called that second wave.

oh well, I don't need some stupid american kid telling me about good metal bands and judging me as some unknowing commercial teenager ...
always those who think they are the only ones in the world that know some bands ... pathetic. as if you are oh so "true" ...

ow and like Abigor was there at the beginning??? their austrian ..... I mean, shit, american know-it-alls :s the worst kind ...
(no offense to americans here that don't post brainless or arrogant stuff though)

Black Session said:
ow and like Abigor was there at the beginning??? their austrian ..... I mean, shit, american know-it-alls :s the worst kind ...
(no offense to americans here that don't post brainless or arrogant stuff though)

youre absolutely retarded. if i was going to be some "know-it-all" i certainly wouldnt start with black metal...considering the majority of the genre is absurd and a waste of time. The fact that im American has nothing to do with anything, ESPECIALLY my ability to absorb metal knowledge. Like your european water has some special ingredient which makes you more metal than someone from america. That might be the most ridiculous and ignorant concept ive ever heard on this board. Congratulations you just broadcasted what a complete dumbass you are on here to everyone.

And for the record, Abigor is NOT that obscure...but simply an overlooked gem due to not ever touring, having little publicity and yes...being from austria. But because theyre not from norway, and didnt burn any churches out of childish stupidity makes them not a valid entry into this topic? I think not you stupid bastard. Less we forget that Venom, Celtic Frost and Bathory...THE CREATORS of this genre werent from norway either...they were from england, switzerland and sweden respectively. And no matter how much you kick and scream at people who obviously are more versed than you, it still doesnt make Dimmu Borgir any LESS of a joke. And stop insisting they were around since the beginning anyway, they were NOT. Do your research, stop being such a re-re.