Who is the best metal drummer out there?

Nick Barker has some cool shit, but the production on later CoF albums made his drums sound lifeless (esp the bass).

Pete "the man with eight arms" Sandoval is one of my favourites.

Danny Carey is right up there. He's got one of the most varied styles, especially since he plays the Tabla quite well now.

Anders Nordin :D and Martin *blank* (shit, I forget which is which all the time) - both very original and both very talented.. we wouldn't be here without them!!

Nick Barker is a simple cheater! His drums are trigged, well at least they were on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. But still he´s a good drummer.

Some favorites, in no particular order:

Mike Portnoy
Doc
Pete Sandoval
Flo Mournier (Cryptopsy. That man is a monster!)
Van Williams
Bill Ward
Mark Zonder (Fates Warning)
Peter Widoer (Darkane)
Hellhammer
Dave Lombardo
Paul Bostaph
Gene Hoglan
Daniel Erlandsson (Arch Enemy)
Peter Stjärnvind (Entombed)
Martin Lopez
Nicko McBrain
etc

Almost everyone I thought to suggest has already been mentioned with one glaring exception-
Doc from Vader, absolutely a maniac behind the kit. I hear something new and amazing everytime I put on any of the last few Vader cds.

There are a bunch of them out there, and it's really hard to single out only one so I'm gonna name a few that I think are good.... Nick Barker (Uncle Fester himself), Hellhammer (holly fucking shit), Pete Hammoura, Mike Portnoy, Trym, etc...Paul Mazurkiewicz is a good drummer, but I think he should play in a band that's a bit more serious than Canibal Corpse.

dolphz - I heard Vader a few days ago and they are quite good. Your're right their drummer is a maniac.

.....and Nico McBrian of Iron Maiden of course.

Martin Lopez is probably the best drummer i've ever
heard. not only is his precission incredible, but
composition-wise. my jaw still drops with
his performance in Still Life.
he's a fucking machine!!

i took a friend to the latest MA tour. we got into a
debate whether Pete Sandoval uses relays
and other fx etc. ANY THOUGHTS OUT
THERE?! i say no, but he's really
never impressed me that much

i thought Gene Hoglan was number
one about 5 years ago

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Nick Barker is a simple cheater! His drums are trigged, well at least they were on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

Sigh, let's not go into that "triggering is cheating" debate, since people have wrong ideas and prejudices about triggers.

The simple fact is that the triggers don't play the drums. The drummer hits the head -> the trigger registers the impact -> data to drum module which produces the sound -> recording device. Where's the cheating? :eek:

People might as well go about posting Mikael Åkerfeldt is a cheater because he uses guitar effects.

Well, maybe if all the info out there was accurate, everyone would understand :confused: I had read that Trym started using triggers, and this fixed some of his timing problems (or something to that effect, I forget exactly, but the impression I got was that triggers were conveying something that the drummer wasn't quite doing). The article was written by a 'drum expert' (apparently, though now you've got me wondering). So, I take it triggers just, mostly, amplify the sound? I guess this would allow them to play faster if they didn't have to hit so hard, say, to get a consistent snare sound. Is this right??:confused:

Yeah, that is correct. There's a good deal of things one can do with triggers.

The more expensive ones register the strength of each hit and are more "precise" so to say.

With triggers you can play some $500 USD shitty kit and get the sound of a $3000 USD vintage kit, provided you have the sounds of that kit in your drum module where the information of a hit goes from the triggers.

It's true that triggers make it possible to correct the timing of the beat, but that's done with the studio software, not by the triggers.

It's simple, really. I can't see how people can misunderstand the word "trigger". You hit a drum with a trigger attached to it, and the trigger triggers the drum module! :) :)

you've misunderstood me guys. i never implied that
effects make a terrible drummer. i was just
wondering if someone else agreed
that Sandoval doesn't
use them. :p

it was a live show... so i'm not even close to
talking about studio enhancements :D

anyways... hail martin!