Who are todays generation of heavy metal guitar heroes?

Victor Smolski
Luca Turilli
Jeff Loomis
Chris Broderick
Michael Amott
Mattias IA Eklund
Alexei Laiho
Matt Heafy
Cory Beaulieu
James Malone
Michael Romeo
Heri Joensen
Terji Skibenaes
Jorn Viggo Lofstad
Nergal
Gus G.
Gus Drax
Henrik Danhage
Tom Englund
Rusty Cooley
Devin Townsend
Ralph Santolla

Stan and Kyle didn't you see that episode?
Serious though there are no more guitar heroes. Well at least there are none doing anything invententive it is all the smae crap over and over again. Granted there are many amazing ones but groundbreaking they are not. Really don't see any ground ever being broken again really.

Draonforce RULES:headbang:

Here are some of my favorites:

Jeff Loomis
Gus G
Christopher Amott
Stephan Forte
Kiko Louriero
Marc Rizzo
Doc Coyle
Phil Demmel
Jorn Viggo
and
Fredrik Akesson

And although he's not Metal, Guthrie Govan is sick!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are none.

Sure there are quite a lot of guys who are technically flawless players (Jeff Loomis, Michael Romeo, Charly Sahona etc etc etc)but the boundaries have been pushed about as far as they can go. The last players that truely had any impact on me are Thal, Eklundh and to a lesser extent Govan....technically and tonally.
Not too many players have their own tone/sound these days....might have a lot to do with direct recording and amp remodelling software...but there aren't too many players i can pick straight off like you could back in the good ol days.
Guys like Van Halen, Vai, Lynch, Reb Beach, Warren DeMartini, Paul Gilbert, Iommi, Holdsworth, Greg Howe you could (and still can) tell its them straight away....Thal, Eklundh and JVL are the only ones recently....and maybe the Dragonforce because of the over harmonised thing they have going.

One guy I think should be mentioned is my former colleague Andrea Martongelli of Arthemis. Here's a fella who deserves recognition on a wider scale for sure.

I'm also looking forward to introducing you all to Ben Randall and Andy Midgley...the new Power Quest guitar duo. I'm sure these guys will make an impression with the next PQ record as they are already doing in the live arena!

I'm still waiting on the next Billy Gibbons.
Perhaps you can explain this to me. I've often heard of Billy Gibbons spoken about as if he's a great player. Granted, I haven't heard much of ZZ Top's discography, but I've never heard a single note from Gibbons that would suggest he's even above average. So what disc do I need to hear?

Zod

Perhaps you can explain this to me. I've often heard of Billy Gibbons spoken about as if he's a great player. Granted, I haven't heard much of ZZ Top's discography, but I've never heard a single note from Gibbons that would suggest he's even above average. So what disc do I need to hear?

Zod

I personally believe Billy is the most underrated player ever. He was tapping before anyone knew who Eddie Van Halen was. Brian May admits to "knicking a bit off Billy." Hendrix was even quoted on live television as saying Billy was America's best guitarist.

He is a monster blues-rock guitarist in terms of technique & style. He has influenced players for going on 40 years now. However, regardless of what you think of his playing, his signature tone is unparalled. He is one of the few guitarists that I can recognize almost instantly.

In terms of known songs, have you really listened to the solos in "Sharp Dressed Man?" Guitar World ranks it #43 on the all-time list. I'd vote "LaGrange" as another one of the "hits" where he amazes.

Some of my faves cuts for his guitar are "Jesus Just Left Chicago" & "Beer Drinkers & Hellraisers" (check out the hammer-ons).

I found this discussion which will help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1607006.html

I personally believe Billy is the most underrated player ever. He was tapping before anyone knew who Eddie Van Halen was. Brian May admits to "knicking a bit off Billy." Hendrix was even quoted on live television as saying Billy was America's best guitarist.

He is a monster blues-rock guitarist in terms of technique & style. He has influenced players for going on 40 years now. However, regardless of what you think of his playing, his signature tone is unparalled. He is one of the few guitarists that I can recognize almost instantly.

In terms of known songs, have you really listened to the solos in "Sharp Dressed Man?" Guitar World ranks it #43 on the all-time list. I'd vote "LaGrange" as another one of the "hits" where he amazes.

Some of my faves cuts for his guitar are "Jesus Just Left Chicago" & "Beer Drinkers & Hellraisers" (check out the hammer-ons).

I found this discussion which will help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1607006.html

Zod and I are in the same boat with this one. I'll have to go back and actually pay attention to Billy's playing. I honestly haven't listened that closely to him over the years.

~Brian~

A guy who should be getting more recognition for his "modern" (post-2000) work than he does is Chris Poland.

Yes, he was good in Megadeth, and his '90s solo work was quite good, but with Ohm the guy is on another planet. He has instant identity, which is increasingly rare.