Who do you think are the best prog metal bands today?

Shit 81 posts and no-one has mentioned Solefald. This is my idea of progressive metal because it plays by its own rules. Also Mastodon.

Let's face it most of the best metal around today is 'progressive' in some respects otherwise its just pointless revivalism

soul choir said:
Who do you think are the best prog metal bands today?
Is the future of prog a melt between styles like metal, art rock, alternative music?

I'm an endless cheerleader for Spheric Universe Experience.
See my signature for the link :lol: under the Nightmare logo.

But my long-time favorite is Pain of Salvation!
Runner up for third: Wastefall

House of Seance said:
"traditional" and "progressive" don't necessarily fit very well together...

however...

contradictory statement... or at least it SHOULD be... this is where all the confusion comes in

the terms "prog" and "progressive" are SUPPOSED to be the same exact thing, prog just being an abbreviation... but as you can see, your own interpretation being an example, they've sort've taken on their own separate meanings

apparently if you make long songs, use keyboards, and solo a lot, you're a "prog" band... e.g. Dream Theater and Symphony X... both referred to as "prog" metal yet neither band is progressive

I will stick true to picking Enslaved as my answer to this thread... they're progressive, "prog" or not

Sigh, another great progressive metal band
Opeth, of course

This is pretty much like "indie" and "independent", right?

They used to be synonymous, but "independent" continues to mean, basically, "created outside the realm of corporate culture". "Indie", though, now describes a sound that may or may not come from an "independent" band.

Though, I suppose, in that sense, a truly "progressive" band wouldn't have too much to do with the "prog" sound. :zombie:

Kind of like how "alternative" hasn't been alternative for about 15 years??

Kreator/Destroyer said:
^^^i second nevermore being progressive, i'd just have to say the long solos, and strange time signatures...

Nevemore solos are not really long progressive new or any different from the normal. Nevermore started doing those offbeat e riffs which are not really strange time signatures imo. It's kinda nu-metallish,meshuggah, and fear factory like.

Reactions: Mort Divine
The Greys said:
Nevemore solos are not really long progressive new or any different from the normal. Nevermore started doing those offbeat e riffs which are not really strange time signatures imo. It's kinda nu-metallish,meshuggah, and fear factory like.

i see your point but i would not go as far as to say that they are nu-metal...maybe close to power metallish

Zhou Tai 04 said:
When did this happen?:lol:

Since they use every metalcore trick in the book, mind you that doesn't mean they suck.

But they have the riffing of metalcore bands, the breakdowns of them, whiney clean vocals and harsh vocals, rediculous vocal harmonies, etc.

Mind you I love metalcore, so it isn't a bad thing.

...you do realize that Into Eternity is power metal from their vocals you can tell, the other vocals are death vocals (though they aren't very good and kinda annoying)

edit: i also find that some metalcore is pretty good depending on the bands

However, vocals don't determine a genre ... so it isn't as if it really matters how their vocals sound.

They are metalcore. They simply have shreddy lead parts that point to the band being kind of proggy. They fit almost all stereotypes of a band being metalcore.