Who does electronic music in here?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
While my love for metal grows, I've always had a huge soft spot for electronic/dance/house whatever you want to call it music, specifically the artist BT. I've been making some electronic music with Reason 3 for some time now but I'm looking to see what apps would be best.

I'm quite the avid user of Cubase and really hate the layout of Reason. Is it possible to do full tracks with Cubase? If not, what should I look into as well. I've used ableton and I don't like the GUI look or work flow but it's probably something I should get used to. FL studio looks promising but I couldn't get the demo to install on my computer.

Live is unbelievable once you learn the program.

I've been using Ableton Live and Logic for programming and then exporting the MIDI and/or Audio to Pro Tools but on the past couple projects I've been doing everything in PT, including all MIDI programming.

BT is awesome! I love his music, specially the last album.

Sure you can make this kind of music in Cubase, you just have to be creative, have good plugins, vsti's, etc..

Fruityloops.
Its super duper awesome!
(Seriously though, its great)

Its insane how easy it is to use, and how great it sounds.
And except all the extra hardware you can buy to protools, I cant really see anything that would make protools any better than fruityloops in pure recording purposes either(Please tell me if im wrong, and why!). :p

I've been doing that but I really don't like the interface and work flow of Reason.

Fuck using reason as anything but a set of intruments. Use midi tracks in cubase and rout them to reason when your rewired. Don't record midi in Reason it sucks.

You still have to make ajustments within reason if you want to change device perameters but this really isn't any different than changing perameters in a VSTi in cubase.

I am in the process of putting out my 3rd electronic pop album, all of which is completely made in Cubase SX3. Quite easy:

Make midi track, load VSTi, assign track to VSTi, program or play midi, set levels on the automatically created output track, add eq/fx to taste - done.

Repeat for other instruments :)

although if you really wanted to tweak out on it, I believe BT uses Logic....and more edits that trent reznor :)

I beleive he actually makes use of the ability of the grid to to lock in 128th notes and such :worship:

Rewire is deffo the way to go, as others have said. Most major apps on the market have the ability to accept Reason's Rewire capabilities.

Although many people use ProTools just for audio, when coupled with Reason Rewire its actually very good for MIDI/Synth aswell, especially if you're creating a track that combines both audio and synth...it's pretty convenient. Otherwise, in my opinion, Logic and Cubase are great bets.

I am in the process of putting out my 3rd electronic pop album, all of which is completely made in Cubase SX3. Quite easy:

Make midi track, load VSTi, assign track to VSTi, program or play midi, set levels on the automatically created output track, add eq/fx to taste - done.

Repeat for other instruments :)

After my search for another DAW style app for making electronic/house/dance/techno etc. I realized I could do it all in cubase just as you explained. Even though I've been listening to it for so long it's so much harder to make it then I realized.

Just curious, what are you using for your drums? Right now I'm using the rewire funtion from Reason but I'm not digging that too much. Unless I bounce to track, there is no way for me to add a sub-synth to really beef up the bass kick without effecting the other samples.

For keys I've got NI's Komplete 4 (Pro-53 is giving me issues) , Massive, and Geforce's MiniMonsta.

:headbang:

Reason rewired works just like a set of VSTi as long as you use midi within cubase and not reason. I mean seriously there isn't that much difference other than the fact that they reside in another app.

I just realized this ability a few days ago and it has made using Reason so much easier, Cubase's MIDI editing is truly one of the best out there.

although if you really wanted to tweak out on it, I believe BT uses Logic....and more edits that trent reznor :)

I beleive he actually makes use of the ability of the grid to to lock in 128th notes and such :worship:

I can't figure out how to get Cubase to do that. I swear I used to know how but I guess since it's been so long I just forgot. :lol: Off the top of my head- Snap to on, grid on, then you pick your beat length and it should snap to what you've specified correct? When when I have it set for 1/64, it will always snap to the beginning of the bar.

I've been trying to find an program to do all my stutter effects for me but those such as Dbglitch and Beat repeater in Ableton just doesn't have the feel of a good hand corrected stutter pattern.