who is the best sweep picker?

Angelo isn't that good at sweeping - pretty basic stuff, but at really high speeds. Not impossible speeds, though. Rusty Cooley is not much different. Both are insane at other things, though.

Some of my picks:

Gambale
Bellas
Becker
Marshall Harrison
Derryl Gabel

Gotta go with Leslie on this one - Gambale all the way. He doesn't just do the simple minor or major arpeggios. He throws his in a jazz/fusion format. I saw him at a guitar clinic back in the '80's - the guy is crazy.

Okay now. I think most of us agree that Fareri is crap, Rusty is also(IMO) crap. Gambale is a genius, he was the founder of the technique, as mentioned. He sweeps like a complete maniac, but he doesn`t really do any complicated, and most of them are the same. Angelo plays some of the most cleanest and fastest guitar on earth. It`s simply mindblowing. I think it`s in the intro to "No Boundaries", it`s sweeping all the way, clen as hell. Astonishing. But i can`t bear to listen to it more than about 10 minutes though. Also, i think that Romeo beats them all, since he does not sweep the arpeggios, he actually taps them combined with string skipping to do the whole arpeggios. Then it becomes TOTALLY clean, and the need for the sweeping is therefore(as i see it in most cases) almost superfluous...

shredmaster said:
Okay now. I think most of us agree that Fareri is crap, Rusty is also(IMO) crap. Gambale is a genius, he was the founder of the technique, as mentioned. He sweeps like a complete maniac, but he doesn`t really do any complicated, and most of them are the same. Angelo plays some of the most cleanest and fastest guitar on earth. It`s simply mindblowing. I think it`s in the intro to "No Boundaries", it`s sweeping all the way, clen as hell. Astonishing. But i can`t bear to listen to it more than about 10 minutes though. Also, i think that Romeo beats them all, since he does not sweep the arpeggios, he actually taps them combined with string skipping to do the whole arpeggios. Then it becomes TOTALLY clean, and the need for the sweeping is therefore(as i see it in most cases) almost superfluous...

Romeo doesn't just tap, he sweeps a lot too. About Angelo, he uses all the same sweep shapes that you and I use. Nothing revolutionary, just fast. Check out Harrison, Bellas or Gambale if you want to see somebody thinking outside the box.

Also, there's a lot of sweep stuff that can't be played using tapping, or that would be much harder to tap than sweep, so it's far from a superior technique. Therefore, to say that Romeo "beats them all", is ludicrous.

aiwass said:
Romeo doesn't just tap, he sweeps a lot too. About Angelo, he uses all the same sweep shapes that you and I use. Nothing revolutionary, just fast. Check out Harrison, Bellas or Gambale if you want to see somebody thinking outside the box.

Also, there's a lot of sweep stuff that can't be played using tapping, or that would be much harder to tap than sweep, so it's far from a superior technique. Therefore, to say that Romeo "beats them all", is ludicrous.

I didn`t mean he beat them all, only the ones i mentioned, with the possible exception of Gambale. Of course Romeo does sweeps also, (and yoyu are also correct when saying not everything can be tapped)but he also taps ALOT, yet he is not unique in doing this. Angelo mostly do the basic stuff, but it`s almost always clean, which was my point. But nothing special, you`re absolutely right...George Bellas is great too...

Yeah, sweeping major and minor arps well is one thing, but then you have guys like Frank Gambale who sweep through just about any chord you can think of. After learning to sweep, I've realized that 3 note in an octave sweep shapes are nothing compared to extended sweeps with 7ths, 9ths, and altered tones. Because of that, you can't even compare Michael Angelo to Frank Gambale. Jazz is the toughest type of music to play, period.

Serge... said:
Yeah, sweeping major and minor arps well is one thing, but then you have guys like Frank Gambale who sweep through just about any chord you can think of. After learning to sweep, I've realized that 3 note in an octave sweep shapes are nothing compared to extended sweeps with 7ths, 9ths, and altered tones. Because of that, you can't even compare Michael Angelo to Frank Gambale. Jazz is the toughest type of music to play, period.
I couldn't agree with you more, Serge. But as far as straight sweeping, Ziras is quite good. His new CD is much more complex than his first, and he has a ton of great videos on his website for the aspiring sweepers to learn from.

Jazz is very varied music, and can be played very differently. I`m sure that PURELY TECHNICALLY, Michael Angelo could do for example anything by Joe Pas, Bireli Lagrene or Scofield. Of course, you could say he can`t do Holldsworth, but that`s more fusion like...I do agree with Serge that it`mush cooler to add a 7`th or a 9`th occasionally than only sweep the octaves!

shredmaster said:
Jazz is very varied music, and can be played very differently. I`m sure that PURELY TECHNICALLY, Michael Angelo could do for example anything by Joe Pas, Bireli Lagrene or Scofield. Of course, you could say he can`t do Holldsworth, but that`s more fusion like...I do agree with Serge that it`mush cooler to add a 7`th or a 9`th occasionally than only sweep the octaves!
Maybe Angelo can but who did it take longer to master their skills, Angelo or those jazz guys? I'm guessing the jazz guys. What I meant is it's generally a tough style to get the hang of.

As someone who's getting into jazz now, yes, it's hard as hell to get the hang of. The improvising calls for a lot of knowledge right off the top of your head, and the composition is just mindblowing.

All high tech shredders(Yngwie,Rusty,Stump,Forte,Romeo....) are technically capeble of playing the most advanced jazz stuff ı am sure.yes jazz is very diffucult teorically but technically metal shit is the thoughest because its much much more faster than other styles.But its just my opinion ı never seriously studied jazz.

Marcus Paus is another amazing sweeppicker.