who is your favorite metal drummer?

Im not now talking about Progressive metal (or fusion) guys. If you mean death & trash metal drummers mine choice would, maybe been Gene Hoglan and The Psycroptic's drummer.

PRauhala said:
Im not now talking about Progressive metal (or fusion) guys. If you mean death & trash metal drummers mine choice would, maybe been Gene Hoglan and The Psycroptic's drummer.

I hope you made a mistake. It's THRASH. Not TRASH. Don't insult it dude, it's good stuff.

Tonberry said:
Neil Peart. He's Metal at heart.

No kidding, when I was visiting my family, Rush at Rio came on VH1 Classics...the whole family loved it--them for the classic rock aspect, and me because it was freaking METAL.

I'd never heard Peart drum like that before, because most of what I've heard is their earlier work.

I SO want to own Rush at Rio now...I couldn't believe what Peart did to "Working Man"; my jaw just hit the floor when I figured it out.

:OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

though they take lots of skill and practice to perfect, blast beats bore me to no end. Can you groove please? No? k, bye.

Plus most people who use blast beats don't learn the proper technique and end up doing serious damage to their joints and muscles rather quickly

Hahah

*Waves my Rush In Rio DVD*

This never leaves my DVD player. I saw their 30th aniversary tour, and they did the most amazing medley I've ever heard as an intro. It was the title songs from all their albums. It was amazing to behold.

The Drums on Working Man are spectacular, and YYZ is also a masterpiece.

I have a video on my hard drive of him playing a random drum solo, (complete with xylophones!) and his drums are revolving around him as he plays.

I have solved this thread:

Neil Peart is the Drumming Messiah.

My favourite METAL drummer would still be Thomen Stauch, formerly of Blind Guardian... but there's a lot of bias on my part because they have been my favourite band for close to 10 years now.
Other metal drummers I like include Mike Terrana, Ed Warby and - a damn shame nobody mentioned him - Mark Zonder.

However, in the end, it all comes down to Neil Peart... he is the master of anything that can be hit with a stick.

Yngvai X said:

Alright, That solo is rather unexemplary of the sheer pwnage of Flo Mounier. That solo, has no real flow to it, its like OK, PLAY PATTERN A FOR 30 SECONDS BRRRRRRRRRRR PATTERN B FOR 30 SECONDS etc etc. repetitive at times.

Also his tempo isnt to solid, i know some parts are meant to gradually increase/decrease, but theres a couple spots where it looks like he gets off tempo.

I think http://www.cryptopsy.net/lost/media/video/CryptopsygravesHigh.html (18megs) or for you 56kers http://www.cryptopsy.net/lost/media/video/CryptopsygravesLow.html *5.3 megs* is a much better showing of Flo's brilliance.

They show flo quite a few times, not really at first, but they give him a fair showing I think, and you can see up close some of the crazy shit he pulls off.

just my 2 hundreths of a dollar.

Yngvai X said:

So he plays double bass and hits his St. Anger snare drum incessantly...so what? How about something technically proficient, AND interesting to listen to? He's got speed, but I didn't hear anything interesting dynamically, rhythmically, or for "note choice" (I think of different drum/cymbal types as different notes for drummers to choose)

Wow, Im really surprised at the lack of appriciation for Flo. Why is it that prog fans get musical hardons every time they listen to a song thats "technical" but when they see someone taking an unacompanied solo and pretty much just letting their technique fly off the handle you get remarks of "oh this has no feeling, its just technique" etc? Is there a point to criticizing someone's chops? Its the same thing when people bag on Rusty Cooley for not having "emotion"....its like can't people just appriciate a musician for what they're good at, rather than criticize them for what you think they lack? I'm not talking about shitty players either, I'm talking about musicians who have very obviously spent more of their life than you could imagine honing their craft, and becoming undeniably proficient at it.

Flo is actually playing very interesting and good rhytems there but its not easy to pick them up because he plays them so fast and some stuff ddoesnt sound as cool as when the are played slower and usually even metal drummers dont play that fast altough they can because sometimes it soundsd silly.Flo actually has a very good touch but even if he didnt, I agree with Yngvai X musicians shiolud be apreciated for what they are good at.And the concept of that video is technique so it doesnt has to be annything very interesting anyway

Yngvai X said:
Wow, Im really surprised at the lack of appriciation for Flo. Why is it that prog fans get musical hardons every time they listen to a song thats "technical" but when they see someone taking an unacompanied solo and pretty much just letting their technique fly off the handle you get remarks of "oh this has no feeling, its just technique" etc? Is there a point to criticizing someone's chops? Its the same thing when people bag on Rusty Cooley for not having "emotion"....its like can't people just appriciate a musician for what they're good at, rather than criticize them for what you think they lack? I'm not talking about shitty players either, I'm talking about musicians who have very obviously spent more of their life than you could imagine honing their craft, and becoming undeniably proficient at it.

I have a strong appreciation for Flo, that solo is just NOT exemplary of his skills at ALL. I've heard some other solos of him that just kick the shit out of that one. Plus, he annihilates when he plays with teh band, not just solo.

Flo is not really one of the best Metal drummers, I mean there are some here that just ANNIHILATE HIM.

Jason Rullo
Ed Warby
Johan Langell
Mike Portnoy
Scott Rockenfield
ZONDERRRRRR
Virgil Donati
and of course if you consider the ULTIMATE DRUMMER NEIL PEART metal.