who is your favorite metal drummer?

There was one guy here who mentioned Hayashi Yoshiki of X Japan..and another one who noted Johanne James of Threshold. I agree with them both. These guys are among my faves as well.

About Cynic, well, I heard only one song from them. :(

Methinks he slipped and said "Miller" instead of "Walling".

Reminds me of my little slip-up when I first got here, and I accidently made a comment about "Rod Thomas" instead of "Rod Tyler". ;)

Flo Mournier. If he's not, well, he can beat up the other drummers. That's what's really important, right?

Alexander Holzwarth. The best!
Portnoy.
Neil Peart.
Colaluca.
Bob Jarzombek.
Mickelson.
Donati.
It is not Zonder, it is Zimmerman!
Dean Castronovo. Atma Anur. Andreas Lill. Jeff Eber. Names keep coming up, but it is worth stopping... And how do you define "metal"?

There are more amazing drummers that I dont remember right now, and there are still more I have never seen:)

I the Mustafa guy from Dead Soul Tribe is fantastic, great trible beats. Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree does cool things with his little splashes, and Gene Hoglan is probably the sickest death metal drummer.

weenur said:
Aquiles Priester. The dude *is* an octopus.

I didn't appreciate him very much, until I saw him with Angra in Athens. He is unbelievable. But...

Mark Zonder is the best of the best!!!

I have come to a new appreciation of Blind Guardian's (now former) drummer Thomen Stauch after finally getting A Night at the Opera. He's incredible on that one!

Also on my list of favorites: Jason Rullo, Martín López, Ed Warby, Tom Walling, Neil Peart

Rose Immortal said:
I have come to a new appreciation of Blind Guardian's (now former) drummer Thomen Stauch after finally getting A Night at the Opera. He's incredible on that one!
So true. Some of those songs contain SERIOUS chops (esp. "Wait For An Answer", which never fails to amaze me drums-wise). They just have to get Alex Holzwarth - I don't know any drummer in their vicinity who could possibly top that stuff.

The Stormbringer said:
So true. Some of those songs contain SERIOUS chops (esp. "Wait For An Answer", which never fails to amaze me drums-wise). They just have to get Alex Holzwarth - I don't know any drummer in their vicinity who could possibly top that stuff.

"Wait for an Answer" is just a gorgeous song in total--very powerful, very emotional. The other one that really got my attention as far as Herr Stauch's work ( ;) ) was right from the opening of "Precious Jerusalem".

And to Metropolis, definitely, A Night at the Opera had some extremely serious writing, which at first deterred me from getting it. Then I actually LOOKED at what was being said more closely and kinda came to appreciate it more. BTW, I think this might've gotten lost on another thread, but who are you on ProgArchives? I asked the "Metropolis" there if he was you, and he said no.

Ahhh, OK, and yes...I am FloydWright. :)

I'm not on the forums as much because it's just too much for me to sift through, but I'll have to look up your posts someday. Despite our disagreements on a few issues, we actually seem to think fairly alike on a lot of things. :)