who is your favorite metal drummer?

soulshred said:
Drummers,
What do you guys think about the guy in Dimmu Borgir. I am not really interested in their work so I didnt really hear his playing. But I hear good stuff?

Well, I have not heard what else he can do. But as far as BM drummers go he is there god..well modern BM. I think Hellhammer is the drum god of true BM

dargormudshark said:
BTW, whoever said this Jonas Ekdahl is very good and he has great potential, he is also one of the more powerful metal drummers IMO

Yup, that was me that mentioned it. I 100% agree with you. In fact, I put that in my review of the live album on the "your reviews" page here.

One guy I forgot to mention was Per M. Jensen of The Haunted. While they are classified as "thrash", I don't see them as that. Despite being "modern" thrash, they more seem to borrow from black, slowed down with some crunch. In any even, Per is absolutely amazing to hear, but he sort of gets lost in the frenzy. Where I first noticed him was on Artillery's B.A.C.K. album, on which he was guest on drums. Absolutely awesome, especially on the bonus tracks.

I'll take the old school technical metal over prog metal any day. Progressive metal, when you look at it in its current stage, is nothing more than a pile of stagnant repetitive waste where instrumental technicians, not musicians, gather to play nothing more than a flurry of school exercises.

Symphony X members, especially Michael Romeo, are about as 'musical' as I have seen in recent prog. And to be quite honest, I can't stand Symphony X, however, I will take them over most of the garbage we call prog today.

In the end, give me Atheist, Death, CYNIC, and Pestilence over the class of nerds we see doing exercises on their instruments today.

Guitarmaster said:
I'll take the old school technical metal over prog metal any day. Progressive metal, when you look at it in its current stage, is nothing more than a pile of stagnant repetitive waste where instrumental technicians, not musicians, gather to play nothing more than a flurry of school exercises.

Symphony X members, especially Michael Romeo, are about as 'musical' as I have seen in recent prog. And to be quite honest, I can't stand Symphony X, however, I will take them over most of the garbage we call prog today.

In the end, give me Atheist, Death, CYNIC, and Pestilence over the class of nerds we see doing exercises on their instruments today.

Funny thing is that there are a lot of good bands that are just MILES ahead of where Technical Metal bands sit. In composition, these old school technical metal bands can't write for shit. Let's see them write an album like V or a Pain of Salvation concept album.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
Funny thing is that there are a lot of good bands that are just MILES ahead of where Technical Metal bands sit. In composition, these old school technical metal bands can't write for shit. Let's see them write an album like V or a Pain of Salvation concept album.

well V or Pos aren't tech metal. The next time you talk shit about Ron Jarzombek's writing I will smite you..he is the god of tech even though he was no Watchtower's original guitar player and writer.

dargormudshark said:
well V or Pos aren't tech metal. The next time you talk shit about Ron Jarzombek's writing I will smite you..he is the god of tech even though he was no Watchtower's original guitar player and writer.

I was talking about the bands that he was talking about, not Ron Jarz and his work with Spastic Ink. That would be actually Progressive Metal :)

Edit: If you know anything about me, you'll know that I like Spastic Ink and Ron Jarz and am not TALKING SHIT ABOUT RON JARZ.

Guitarmaster said:

How nice.

:ill:

In the end, give me...CYNIC...

At least you have mentioned a good band. I've only heard one track of theirs so far, but someday I intend to get their album. Is "Veil of Maya" a good indicator of what they're like?

Rose Immortal said:
At least you have mentioned a good band. I've only heard one track of theirs so far, but someday I intend to get their album. Is "Veil of Maya" a good indicator of what they're like?

CYNIC is one of the best metal bands of all-time. It's just too bad that they merely released one full-length album. And even now "Focus" is considered to be the pinnacle of the perfect metal album, and one of the most musical as well.

They were just a complete band: Sean Reinert, the underground drum legend who never received enough praise. Paul Masvidal, with his unique guitar work, and odd, but original robotic vocal effects.
Tony Choy briefly graced their line-up before being replaced by, Sean Malone. A pair of phenomenal bass guitarists.

In other words, Rose Immortal, they were a group of ensemble musicians. And you won't find a band with more talent.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
Funny thing is that there are a lot of good bands that are just MILES ahead of where Technical Metal bands sit.

I'll just quote a previous message of, Yngvai X:

"Remind me to never take anything you say seriously ever again."

Guitarmaster said:
CYNIC is one of the best metal bands of all-time. It's just too bad that they merely released one full-length album. And even now "Focus" is considered to be the pinnacle of the perfect metal album, and one of the most musical as well.

So...where do you find their album? I haven't seen it on the shelves anywhere. Is it out of print?

Metropolis Part 2 said:
I was talking about the bands that he was talking about, not Ron Jarz and his work with Spastic Ink. That would be actually Progressive Metal :)

Edit: If you know anything about me, you'll know that I like Spastic Ink and Ron Jarz and am not TALKING SHIT ABOUT RON JARZ.

Ron Jarz, Spastic Ink, Watchtower=Tech Metal..not prog! Metropolis don't worry, it is ok to like something that isn't prog...just as long as it's not rap :yuk:

dargormudshark said:
Ron Jarz, Spastic Ink, Watchtower=Tech Metal..not prog! Metropolis don't worry, it is ok to like something that isn't prog...just as long as it's not rap :yuk:

I do like something that is not Prog, but I feel the songwriting in a band like Atheist and Cynic are just not quite as good. Death is WAY WAY too repetitive and earlier albums coulda had better instrumentation.

ShokaiShimizu said:
DT is one of the (not THE, one of THE) most overrated bands in the progressive genre, and their "metal" is as sincere as getting a rim job from a clap-toting dragon.

wow.............that's more interesting than this thread!!