Who the F**k mixed HMT???

magx68

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
Just came home with the new Saxon HMT and was all exited but what do I hear??!!!!. The vocals and solo guitars are so low you can bearly hear them..... I'm sorry for Saxon (the band) and all their fans and to be serious, how the hell can they release such a useless mix. It could have been great now I want my money back!!!:mad:

I understand what you mean, but I think a conscious effort was made to stress the beefed up guitars in these new modern versions.

I can hear solos just fine, to be honest. Let the mixes grow on you. You could be so used to the old versions that the new ones sound harshly different? :confused:

Just my thoughts...

Johnny

I will not grow to undertand HMT. If one records old songs it is for a reason, I hope that reason is to make the songs sound better with new technique. Now.... the songs sounds shit compared to the originals. Sorry Biff, this could have been a new start but you were jus to cheap or lazy to make it right. I hope the old records will give you a good pension.:mad:

I like the hm thunder cd of the remake of the originals only 2 disappointments for me was 1: the start to never surrender on the hm thunder cd is very weak think they could have made it sound a lot more powerfull and 2: half the songs that are on hm thunder cd are on the bonus cd to killing ground, with the amount of songs saxon have dont u think it would have been better not putting the ones of the killing ground bonus cd on there so we get 13 re recorded songs instead of what 5 or 6.

I bought the HMT album the other day too, and after listening to it I can sadly say that it really does dissapoint. Ive been a loyal Saxon fan for years but this release tends to take the piss, it really does, £14.99 for a bunch of songs that are quite frankly useless, the mixes are way out (HMT itself is just one example), the guitars are low, detuned even on one(747), and lets not get on to the live(???) stuff, basic monitor mixes run through the sound desk is what it sounds like, note the lack of any audience? this is because the mics for the instruments and vocals hardly pick them up, its tatty, cheap and just a bit lame. I dont like it and wont be playing it again. Saxon, you dissapoint me you really do, lets hope for a real killer album in a year or two to redeem yourself.

This album disappoints me as well. I criticized the bonus tracks on "Killing Ground" and here we get the same half-hearted versions. I love Saxon but for instance I can't ignore the "not too good" bends on "And the bands played on".

Why make an album like this? If you don't put your heart and time in making better versions then I don't see any point.... To me, this album is pointless.

Lets hope for a great new album with new songs!

I don't see the problem in the first disc, but on the second disc then I know what you're saying. I got really sad when the live songs didn't hear the guitarr and drums very well, just Biff (well).
I got my Heavy Metal Thunder cd today and I really love frist disc!
:headbang: Crusader :headbang:

I think that the first disc is brilliant. The songs have never sounded better as it just sounds as though they have been recorded live in the studio, and we all know how good Saxon are live.
The bonus disc was a little dissapointing though as it does just sound like an average bootleg. Mind you it does say on it that its an official bootleg.

I'vi got my hm thunder album yesterday and it's 8 songs on the 1 disc that is already released! On the killing ground limited (i think it is) And it's the same recordings! Following is new in hm thunder disc 1: Heavy metal thunder, Backs to the wall, Power & the Glory, Never Surrendeer and 747 (Strangers in the night)
This is really bad, to release 8 songs on the same record and tell us that it's new re-recorded!

>>:mad:<<

I wanted to listened to Heavy metal thunder a few times before commenting on it. I have to say I can't see what the problem is with it. I certainly don't think the mixing is as bad as a few people have said. Yeah it is a bit disappointing that we already had 8 of the tracks with the Killing ground CD, but we knew what we were getting before it came out.

The bonus CD is very disappointing though. Although it is a bootleg, it is a very poor one. You can hardly hear the band, just Biff. And the video was disappointing with it not actually being a live performance. But it was a great taster of what the DVD will be like. But all in all the HMT CD is a good one.

What he said!

I agree with Paxoman. I think the 1st disc is fine... ROCKS, even! And, of course, we've all heard better bootlegs.

I don't see them stopping any time soon, so I'll take this release for now. Maybe they'll come back to America.

J.

Got my copy today.
Got somewhat scared though when I noticed a clik-sound about 2.38 into Strong Arm of the Law.
Start listening at 2.36 or something and let it continue to 38 or 39.
Does anyone else notice this, or is it just my copy?

My opinion: The first disc is the best of the two. The number HMT I do like more on the original Strong Arm of the Law Album, because I like the guitar solo more. But that can also be because of the fact that I have heard that version a billion time through the years, but anyway thats my feeling! Power and the Glory sounds better to me than on the original. Crusader sounds on HMT by parts heavier than the original (The intro sounds like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, the intro I mean, the rest gladly not!)Dallas 1 p.m very good, good solo, different than the original, but it stays the same but with another touch.Princess of the night o.k. Wheels of steel o.k. Bands played on, could have been better. 747 O.K Motorcycleman O.K Never Surrender: the solo on the eagle has landed part one live I prefere more. Denim and leather O.K. Backs to the wall O.K. The second disc is dissapointing. It sounds much too soft. Sometimes it sounds like it's recorded on the toilets. The dragon's lair song to me is the best of the five or must I say the less worst? I look forward to the new studio-album and I hope when Saxon puts out a new live Cd For example The eagle has landed volume 3. Please Saxon record songs like Freeway mad, To hell and Back again (My favourite), Machine Gun.. I'm a Saxon-fan from the beginning and as we know we Saxon-fans are the most hardcore-following in the world, and we always say what we have to say, we are critical and honest fans and that's the way it's got to be, he. For the rest: Saxon forever, Hail Saxon! The only heavy-band that sounds like a whole and not like 5 individuell pieces! Keep Rocking!

I have to admit to only really getting into Saxon with the release of Metalhead, gawd knows why I didn't bother with them before!

That said, for fans like me who haven't been into the band quite so long HMT is a great album, I'm not used to the older versions of the tracks so what I am hearing on HMT I really like. CD1 has an excellent selection of tracks for folks like me who don't have the back catalogue (yet!), my only real gripe about CD1 would be the fact I already have 8 of the tracks on my Killing Ground bonus cd, but then again I suppose the band have worked on the fact not everyone has the bonus cd version of Killing Ground. I would imagine anyone buying HMT who didn't own the KG bonus would be mightily disappointed not to have tracks like Crusader, Dallas 1pm, Denim & Leather & Princess of the Night included on HMT. :s

As for CD2, I agree it's not the best live recording but as Lagoon pointed out, it is labelled as an official bootleg!

That said, for fans like me who haven't been into the band quite so long HMT is a great album, I'm not used to the older versions of the tracks so what I am hearing on HMT I really like.
Good point. Even though I have the back catalogue already (I'm a completist, blast it all) the old material is still fresh for a Rekindled Saxon Fan like me.