Who will be buying the special edition Ghost Reveries? (*5.1 digital sound)

Guys, it's not like GR is the ONLY album to be re released.

Stop trying to act all indie or whatever.

Actually, they've skipped the BBC-take of "Soldier of Fortune". BBC wanted lots of ££££... Instead they'll enter a studio sometime in the coming weeks and re-record it.

etakistan said:
Guys, it's not like GR is the ONLY album to be re released.
Stop trying to act all indie or whatever.
Abosolutely true! Does anybody know/got Blackwater Park deluxe limited edition or the tins of orchid, morningrise and mayh?? They're not Roadrunner!
So don't bother, I think is thanks to Roadrunner too if Opeth are touring worldwide and you could see them live practically everywhere!! Of course, I'm going to buy this new edition. :heh:

Alcapoth said:
Well, there's hype because there happen to be quite a few "audiophiles" out there, such as myself. I love listening to music so much, that quality is a HUGE priority for me. I LOVE awesome production and when something is produced well and topped off with 5.1, count me in all the way. I notice the little details.

You call yourself an audiophile, yet a few posts back you encouraged people to buy a 5.1 home theater system for $350. Are you really that stupid? A decent subwoofer alone costs that much. If you knew anything about good sound, you wouldn't make such comments.

In addition, all your ranting about DVDs having greater sampling rate and all that is pointless, because the sound quality you get from that kind of a system is poor, regardless of format.

My point is, that to get any noticeable benefit from these so-called better formats than CD, you have to spend a huge amount of money on speakers and other equipment.

But I guess it's everyone's own choice whether they want good sound from two speakers, or bad sound from five speakers (plus subwoofer), assuming that the amount of money spent doesn't increase along with the number of speakers.

EDIT: When Ghost Reveries came out I only bought the vinyl, not the CD. Thus I'm going to buy the Deluxe version, mainly for the bonus tracks.

EDIT2: Fixed the typo Thelema60 was so kind to point out.

I listen to just about all my music at home in "surround" mode. I run the output of my computer's sound card to my receiver, and then run the receiver in Dolby PLII Surround "music" mode. Although it's not a "true" surround, the effects are quite interesting when the receiver decides how to mix it.

I'll definitely be picking this up for the surround mix. My deluxe edition of Mastodon's Leviathan had a bonus dvd with a couple of the tracks mixed in surround, and the overall effect was very cool. For a band with so many layers and textures like Opeth, it should be amazing. Let's hope they do it justice and not rely on cheesy "ping-pong" surround tactics.

Hevimees said:
You call yourself an audiophile, yet a few posts back you encouraged people to buy a 5.1 home theater system for $350. Are you really that stupid? A decent subwoofer alone costs that much. If you knew anything about good sound, you wouldn't make such comments.

In addition, all your ranting about DVDs having greater sampling rate and all that is pointless, because the sound quality you get from that kind of a system is poor, regardless of format.

My point is, that to get any noticeable benefit from these so-called better formats than CD, you have to spend a huge amount of money on speakers and other equipment.

But I guess it's everyone's own choice whether they want good sound from two speakers, or bad sound from five speakers (plus subwoofer), assuming that the amount of money spent doesn't increase along with the number of speakers.

EDIT: When Ghost Reveries came out I only bought the vinyl, not the CD. Thus I'm going to buy the Deluxe version, mainly for the bonus tarcks.
well said, man... speaker and receiver selection is quite important..although definitely relative to one's situation...if you're building a stand-alone home theater system, you could easily blow $2,000+ on a good A/V receiver....i myself run all surround duties off my PC, with an Audigy4 sound card, connected to Logitech's Z-5500 speaker system...and the end result is nothing short of mind-blowing..especially in games :headbang:

nothing like a little F.E.A.R. or Need For Speed :MW on a decent PC with a good surround setup.

x_OPETH_x said:
it ENVELOPS you in sound...rhythym guitar coming from one speaker, behind you... the lead being played in the center channel, right in front and above you...

Hey, that's just like in concert - when You are part of the stage :D

Lilith Bloodshed said:
Of course, I'm going to buy this new edition. :heh:

Hallo, friendly Cash-cow! Next year we present to You the NEW edition with 1 obscure bonus demo track and a wallpaper of Your stars, and an exclusive access to edits of never released songs, which will appear step for step on the NEWEST editions ... come to milk :heh:

Alcapoth said:
But, now, I must say I'm sold on it now that it will have the 5.1 digital sound. GOD, if only ALL Opeth albums were re-released in digital sound - I'd buy all of them all over again.

Me! Right here! I'll buy it!

Although I don't share you enthusiasm about the digital sound thingy...
I prefer the simple stereo stuff :)

I just recently picked up Nick Drake first album: "Five leaves left". Good stuff.

Thelema60 said:
Hallo, friendly Cash-cow! Next year we present to You the NEW edition with 1 obscure bonus demo track and a wallpaper of Your stars, and an exclusive access to edits of never released songs, which will appear step for step on the NEWEST editions ... come to milk :heh:
Or, you delay the special edition for like a year, only so you can actually get all the intended specials on the release. :)

Hevimees said:

Woah there, are you kidding me???

Obviously you're twisting things around here and making things seem the way you want them to without even realizing the FACTS of the matter. It seems to me you were set on attacking me prior to even giving any initial thought to my above post. You're making YOURSELF look stupid, to be quite honest.

Now, there's just no denying the fact I felt the need to defend myself here on the matter.

I'll start right off by saying YES, I did recommend $350 home theatre in a box systems to people. Why? Because it's damn affordable and you do get some GREAT sound for that kind of money and is especially great for those who want to get in on the dolby digital bandwagon which haven't previously known what it's all about. While you won't get the CUTTING-edge sound from these systems, they are still far and away greater than your average stereo cd-player. My system cranks out close to 900 Watts total power and is pretty damn impressive when played in 5.1. I mean, I only shelled out $650 or so for receiver and speakers, etc. and have been satisfied for a few years up until now.

I mean, just because I recommended people 5.1 systems for $350 doesn't mean I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I do, I can assure you. In fact, I myself already have 2 JBL E-80 tower speakers on order which are worth around $600. I had them tested out for me at my local future shop and boy are they OUTSTANDING. In particular, the mids and highs are immediately noticeable and sound fantastic! These are the kind speakers I have wanted for quite some time now and finally I am able to purchase them as my budget allows me to do so. The point is here, many casual listeners aren't just going to splurge $2000-$5000 on speakers or other high-end sound gear. That's just insane and recommended for those only who are actually willing spend the extra cash because they can actually appreciate sound the way it's meant to be heard (that level of fullness and clearity). But quite simply, for anyone that's not looking to spend alot of money and also wants to finally get in on what 5.1 provides to movies AND music the home theatre in a box is damn good and powerful enough for the price. They haven't always been this inexpensive so it's recommended to have a look. Plus, at good brands too, like Yamaha, Sony or Panasonic.

It's just as simple as that.

Oh, and if you DON'T notice the difference between CD and DVD then you're a fool. There is a CLEAR difference, no matter the hardware you're using. I have tried out the NIN album a friend brought over on my home theatre (which isn't by far cutting edge) and the quality was HIGHLY noticeable. You're half-right, though. If you have better hardware, you'll notice even MORE dramatic improvements. Obviously, some of the speakers JBL has put out are fucking SWEET,where you notice all the little details you'd NEVER thought even existed when compared to listening from satellite speakers. So yeah, with set-ups like this it'd be like being at a live show if not even better due to the perfect sound you're listening to due to the recorded album, etc.

Man, some people....I can't believe I even had to write so much just to explain myself here. I mean LOL, I think I'm fully aware that a subwoofer alone can cost up to $600 - in fact, I've already been looking into getting a JBL one for the past few weeks now to go with my E-80's (but i'm not going to spend more than $200 on one.)

Final note on receivers: Yes, sure you can get expensive receivers for like $2000 with some nice processing power, but it isn't all what it's cracked up to be. They may be a bit more powerful than say, one that is priced at $299 or so, but what you're paying so much more for has more to do with the features and what you can do with the reciever than actual sound power (more connectivity options - optical, coaxial, component, s-video, etc) Yes, some of the extra DSP modes MAY enhance the sound to your liking a bit more but not dramatically where it'll make a world of difference. So, most receivers you'll buy today for no matter what price will deliver more than enough power to your speakers. In the end, I'd worry more about what kind of speakers your connecting to the receiver.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

All this fancy 5.1 business these days! What happened to hearing 'Morningrise' through crappy speakers on vinyl and loving it?

While I love well produced albums as much as the next warrior, the latest Katatonia is an example of an overproduced album in my opinion, which obviously doesn't count very far.

Alcapoth said:
Woah there, are you kidding me???

Obviously you're twisting things around here and making things seem the way you want them to without even realizing the FACTS of the matter. It seems to me you were set on attacking me prior to even giving any initial thought to my above post. You're making YOURSELF look stupid, to be quite honest.

No, I don't think I'm making myself look stupid, but I'll try and answer some of your comments.

Alcapoth said:
Now, there's just no denying the fact I felt the need to defend myself here on the matter.

I'll start right off by saying YES, I did recommend $350 home theatre in a box systems to people. Why? Because it's damn affordable and you do get some GREAT sound for that kind of money and is especially great for those who want to get in on the dolby digital bandwagon which haven't previously known what it's all about. While you won't get the CUTTING-edge sound from these systems, they are still far and away greater than your average stereo cd-player. My system cranks out close to 900 Watts total power and is pretty damn impressive when played in 5.1. I mean, I only shelled out $650 or so for receiver and speakers, etc. and have been satisfied for a few years up until now.

Again you show that you know nothing about hifi. When you listen to music, the average amount of power fed to your speakers is between 0.1W and a couple of watts.

Your system cranks out 900 watts? That's probably just the marketing department talking, whereas the real power is something completely different. But no matter what it is, the watts alone don't define the sound of your system.

Alcapoth said:
I mean, just because I recommended people 5.1 systems for $350 doesn't mean I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I do, I can assure you. In fact, I myself already have 2 JBL E-80 tower speakers on order which are worth around $600. I had them tested out for me at my local future shop and boy are they OUTSTANDING. In particular, the mids and highs are immediately noticeable and sound fantastic! These are the kind speakers I have wanted for quite some time now and finally I am able to purchase them as my budget allows me to do so. The point is here, many casual listeners aren't just going to splurge $2000-$5000 on speakers or other high-end sound gear. That's just insane and recommended for those only who are actually willing spend the extra cash because they can actually appreciate sound the way it's meant to be heard (that level of fullness and clearity). But quite simply, for anyone that's not looking to spend alot of money and also wants to finally get in on what 5.1 provides to movies AND music the home theatre in a box is damn good and powerful enough for the price. They haven't always been this inexpensive so it's recommended to have a look. Plus, at good brands too, like Yamaha, Sony or Panasonic.

It's just as simple as that.

Oh, and if you DON'T notice the difference between CD and DVD then you're a fool. There is a CLEAR difference, no matter the hardware you're using. I have tried out the NIN album a friend brought over on my home theatre (which isn't by far cutting edge) and the quality was HIGHLY noticeable. You're half-right, though. If you have better hardware, you'll notice even MORE dramatic improvements. Obviously, some of the speakers JBL has put out are fucking SWEET,where you notice all the little details you'd NEVER thought even existed when compared to listening from satellite speakers. So yeah, with set-ups like this it'd be like being at a live show if not even better due to the perfect sound you're listening to due to the recorded album, etc.

I can only reapeat what I've already said: if you buy an el-cheapo home theater in a box, you're going to get bad sound from six channels, regardless of the format of the disc you feed it.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference between formats, but to rant on about higher sampling rates and such is pointless in this case. What really defines whether the sound of a recording is out good or bad is the production, not the format of the disc.

Alcapoth said:
Man, some people....I can't believe I even had to write so much just to explain myself here. I mean LOL, I think I'm fully aware that a subwoofer alone can cost up to $600 - in fact, I've already been looking into getting a JBL one for the past few weeks now to go with my E-80's (but i'm not going to spend more than $200 on one.)

Up to $600 you say? Ever heard of Velodyne Subwoofers?

To me it seems that in your world JBL is the only company that makes speakers.

Alcapoth said:
Final note on receivers: Yes, sure you can get expensive receivers for like $2000 with some nice processing power, but it isn't all what it's cracked up to be. They may be a bit more powerful than say, one that is priced at $299 or so, but what you're paying so much more for has more to do with the features and what you can do with the reciever than actual sound power (more connectivity options - optical, coaxial, component, s-video, etc) Yes, some of the extra DSP modes MAY enhance the sound to your liking a bit more but not dramatically where it'll make a world of difference. So, most receivers you'll buy today for no matter what price will deliver more than enough power to your speakers. In the end, I'd worry more about what kind of speakers your connecting to the receiver.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

I agree that a good receiver doesn't have to cost $2000 or even half of that. It all depends on how much connections and features you need. What you should pay attention to when buying one is the build quality. A well built and sturdy receiver naturally costs more than a flimsy cheap one, but it'll probably last longer as well.