Who will be buying the special edition Ghost Reveries? (*5.1 digital sound)

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
I knew this was going to happen sooner or later - I mean, it IS roadrunner - and I questioned this. I pretty much said to myself, "there is no way in hell i'll be picking that up."

But, now, I must say I'm sold on it now that it will have the 5.1 digital sound. GOD, if only ALL Opeth albums were re-released in digital sound - I'd buy all of them all over again.

I'll buy it simply for the 'making of' doc. I love watching the album making process, the jamming and such.

NineFeetUnderground said:
fuck roadrunner? jesus people, its not like you are REQUIRED to buy the new edition. but the option is there if you feel the need. sit down and relax.
The problem is that the new edition has 5.1 digital sound.

It's not about useless fluff in this case.

uhhh...correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't ALL recordings in CD format "digital"? the only thing that's changed is that it's mixed for a 5.1 system now, right?

what format exactly will this be in? DTS? DVD-A? (quite unlikely)
i really hope they got someone half decent to do the surround mix...the only thing worse than Ghost Reveries is a shittier version of it....lolz

nah but i'll probably buy it or something.

NineFeetUnderground said:
oh im sorry, i must have been high...can you please point out where i mentioned "useless fluff"?

go ahead, im waiting.
You didnt. The point was that most special editions can easily disregarded if you don't want the fluff but now they are actually releasing a 5.1 mix making making it almost essential.

they could've just made the original version 5.1 instead of milking the fanatics. business is business I guess. hopefully the documentary will show up on a torrent. I'd really rather not re-buy the album

I will buy for the DVD. I haven`t heard an 5.1 album at all. I have stereo sound and that`s enough for me. I think several speakers are overated.
Would be cool to hear the album on a REAL GOOD audio system although I have to admit.

Deadlift said:
I will buy for the DVD. I haven`t heard an 5.1 album at all. I have stereo sound and that`s enough for me. I think several speakers are overated.
Would be cool to hear the album on a REAL GOOD audio system although I have to admit.

5.1 doesn't just ADD speakers, man.... it ENVELOPS you in sound...rhythym guitar coming from one speaker, behind you... the lead being played in the center channel, right in front and above you... something different in every speaker, and sometimes they do these cool little reverb effects that make those tiny speakers seem to fill the room.... you literally feel like you're there...

everyone needs to do themselves a favor and invest in a good DVD player and 5.1 setup (at bare minimum...you can go with a 6.1 or 7.1, if you're wanting to go all out).....i can't go back to listening to CDs in regular stereo...it sounds so stale..and cmon, it's the 2000s!!

x_OPETH_x said:
5.1 doesn't just ADD speakers, man.... it ENVELOPS you in sound...rhythym guitar coming from one speaker, behind you... the lead being played in the center channel, right in front and above you... something different in every speaker, and sometimes they do these cool little reverb effects that make those tiny speakers seem to fill the room.... you literally feel like you're there...

everyone needs to do themselves a favor and invest in a good DVD player and 5.1 setup (at bare minimum...you can go with a 6.1 or 7.1, if you're wanting to go all out).....i can't go back to listening to CDs in regular stereo...it sounds so stale..and cmon, it's the 2000s!!

Well, i disagree. A stereo amplifier does the job so much better for me.

I rather spend my money on a good 3.1 audio system (2 speak + 1 sub + amp) like i have right now.

I never liked 5.1 or more sound. :)

I might...if there's really a documentary. I also want the music vid on there, that way I won't to download it.

I really need a ipod

WTF555666 said:
I might...if there's really a documentary. I also want the music vid on there, that way I won't to download it.

Don't waste your money. The music vid and documentary will be on youtube.com free of charge within seconds of the album's release.

it has some bonus material on it, which is fine. but theres no such thing as "milking fanatics". fanatics will just buy ANOTHER t-shirt or vinyl release or something else if they didnt have the 5.1 surround edition coming out. youre acting like they dont have a choice either. to be a fanatic is a decision, its not like getting drafted into the army, and then hoping record companies take it easy on your whole life. wtf imo iirc afaik