Who's your favorite drummer?

@haggard (former favorite poster): dont you find virgil donati the least bit irritating? his work with the worlds most annoying person - derek sherinian - made me want to kill myself.

It has got to be Igor Cavellera, Chris Adler or Rayman Herrera.
The perfect drummer would be Igors tom work, Adlers cymbal work and Herrera footwork.

Yarno said:
It has got to be Igor Cavellera, Chris Adler or Rayman Herrera.
The perfect drummer would be Igors tom work, Adlers cymbal work and Herrera footwork.

No way dude. David Silveras cymbal and tom work is far superior- check out 'Got The Life' to see why youre wrong.

dorian gray said:
@haggard (former favorite poster): dont you find virgil donati the least bit irritating? his work with the worlds most annoying person - derek sherinian - made me want to kill myself.

oh, of course. Like most musicians in the "progressive fusion" genre, he tends to come off as a pompous ass most of the time. But then, in a genre pretty much dedicated to showing off your musical virtuosity, that's kind of to be expected....at any rate, I try not to think of the drummer's personality when I listen to them. it would probably ruin the experience, especially in Donati's case, 'cause from what I've heard, he is a dick.

affinityband said:
Danney carrey for his shear amazing knowledge of his drums, and how imaginative he is.
I would have to agree wholeheartedly. I not once have ever gotten tired of listening to Danny drum. I'm a classical musician, and Danny's got an almost orchestral quality to the way he drums. Something different from other drummers I've listened to. Btw, it's "sheer." :p

Granted, I don't recognize the names of a few of the drummers on the list, so if somebody wants to put forth a bunch that they feel are the best, along with an album as a great example, I'll be buying some new music. As a pianist, I'm completely in awe of drummers, especially the highly skilled. :)

(No need to put Tomas Haake or Danny Carey on that list as I'm quite familiar with them.)

haggard said:
oh, of course. Like most musicians in the "progressive fusion" genre, he tends to come off as a pompous ass most of the time. But then, in a genre pretty much dedicated to showing off your musical virtuosity, that's kind of to be expected....at any rate, I try not to think of the drummer's personality when I listen to them. it would probably ruin the experience, especially in Donati's case, 'cause from what I've heard, he is a dick.
haha! i *meant* his drumming! i dont know anything about his personality but his drumming on derek sherinians first solo album sounded like one long fart. it was more like a robot playing on a drum machine than a real person trying to make thoughtful music. oh well. just wanted to know what you thought.

Dammit! No mention of Mark Zonder from Fates Warning. He's so under-rated, actually rarely even gets mentioned in these polls.

[onyx] said:
Granted, I don't recognize the names of a few of the drummers on the list, so if somebody wants to put forth a bunch that they feel are the best, along with an album as a great example, I'll be buying some new music. As a pianist, I'm completely in awe of drummers, especially the highly skilled. :)

He's one you could check out if you haven't already. Get "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" first, pay attention to everything starting with part 4 mainly for drumming genious. He plays on every album of theirs since "Perfect Symmetry", all have great drum work. Not a super-speedy guy, much more progressive.

Agree on Danny Carrey also... :headbang:

Seth

was gonna mention him, as im one of three of his fans here, but i dont care right now.

Speaking of Catch 33, ive heard that Haake doesnt drum on it. This may just be rumor, but apparently they are programed using software similar to Haake's drumkit from hell.

As far as the album, i have mixed feelings, though mostly disappointment. Seems to be a continuation of the "I" and Nothing tone only with faster, highly intervallic riffs (that also get repatative quickly, once past thier "cool" sound). I dunno. Fun to listen to on occasion, but no surprises.

dorian gray said:
haha! i *meant* his drumming! i dont know anything about his personality but his drumming on derek sherinians first solo album sounded like one long fart. it was more like a robot playing on a drum machine than a real person trying to make thoughtful music. oh well. just wanted to know what you thought.

whoops...heh, my bad man. I know what you mean, though. His drumming is so overly precise it can get on my nerves. If you catch him at a drum clinic, he play's some amazing stuff, but in terms of groove and pocket, he doesn't have anything close to, say, Carter Beauford.

Justin S. said:
Speaking of Catch 33, ive heard that Haake doesnt drum on it. This may just be rumor, but apparently they are programed using software similar to Haake's drumkit from hell.

As far as the album, i have mixed feelings, though mostly disappointment. Seems to be a continuation of the "I" and Nothing tone only with faster, highly intervallic riffs (that also get repatative quickly, once past thier "cool" sound). I dunno. Fun to listen to on occasion, but no surprises.

That's what I've heard! I read an interview where they mentioned that ALL the drums were programmed. Listening to it, they sound perfectly real to me, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Your feelings on the album are pretty close to mine, actually. "Chaosphere" is an incredible album, and I like "Nothing" as well. But "I" and "Catch-33", like you said, are fun to listen to every now and then, but I don't listen to them anywhere near as much as their earlier stuff. Still amazing, from a technical standpoint...and if you listen closely, there are these TINY changes in riffs. But I'm talking like, leaving out or adding a 32nd note. Not enough to make it as interesting as their early stuff.