Whose played the Mode4? How does it compare to you know what...

006 said:
Thats mostly why I call your bullshit. Secondly, if those amps were going for that much, they'd be gone in 5 minutes. Not much of a sale if you ask me.

On the the subject of the Stiletto Sale... It was Mesa Authorized. Since you still seem to be doubting it, here's some references from the Harmony Central forum to check out.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1168379
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1170921
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1171388

And another from the "Boogie Board" http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3130

Apparently, Mesa does some kind of pro-rate pricing. I guess thier idea is that nobody should pay more or less than what they think they should pay for 'em. No matter where you go, you pay the same price (they say).

They wouldn't budge at all when I bought my TriAxis/2:90. I was like "Come on...I'm spending almost $3,000 in your store, and you won't even hook me up with some goodies...like some cables or anything?" The dude said "We're not making any money off of this sale, so no. If it were up to me, I'd stop selling Mesa because we aren't gaining anything from selling thier amps here"....in which I said "hey...I drove an hour-and-a-half to come buy it from your store, didn't I?" Regardless, he was a tightwad dickface....not even considering I could/should/would/whatever be a future customer and would continue to buy shit there and he wouldn't even go out of his way to season the deal and make me want to come back for more.

as a matter of general principal, mesa will not allow their dealers to sell below their list price...BUT from time to time, they will authorize GC (maybe other dealers, but i've never heard of it happening) to have a blowout on a particular item

there are a handful of people over on harmony central who have great reputations for buying/selling gear, who have picked up a stiletto for $800...that may mean much to you, but i know these are people who won't blow their reputation on something like this

about a year and a half ago, mesa/GC blew out mark IV short heads for like $1099...it doesn't happen often, but it CAN happen

kaomao said:
Hey cobrahead it sounds really good, for 400 euros it slays any behringer or line6 stuff in the same price range!!!
Good clips!!
I love the clean, far better than 5150

Maurizio

thanks man,
i scored mine for $325 USD when they first came out, for that price it's an unbeatable value...i've since spent about another $100 replacing the stock speaker with an eminence governer, and the stock power tubes with jj6l6's, i've been very satisfied with this purchase

the 5150 and 6505 series are no different in tone, for studio use i like the old 5150, if i were playing live i would prefer the 5150 II for the dual eq's...haven't owned a xxx to really compare, but i've heard some really good recordings of them with el34's (which they don't come stock with, so i've never played one with them)

Executioner213 said:
off topic a little here I guess...but do most of you prefer the 5150 (I or II), the 6505 (normal or plus), or the Triple X?

5150. Triple XXX is a good amp, but the only thing it really has above the 5150 is the cleans are a lot nicer.

Right, i tried the ValveKing 112 Combo out yesterday with a Schecter Telly. Clean channel is nice, very clean even under heavy strumming with the bridge p/up, although i don't do much clean playing, so i can't really comment. Then the distortion channel on the other hand i didn't like at all, seemed very muffled and muddy to me, the low end wasn't very tight. Even with the gain on like 4, it still seemed too lo-fi to my ears, finding the control on the back as far as the tight/loose low end button on the back managed to make some difference, but still not as good as i expected, sorta reminded me of my original line 6 spider to be honest. I would have preferred to have tried the 212 having the presence and resonance controls for the poweramp, maybe this would clean the sound up a bit, but overall first impressions weren't good, maybe this isn't the cheap metal head everyone thought it was. Then again that's just my 2 cents.

cobhc said:
Right, i tried the ValveKing 112 Combo out yesterday with a Schecter Telly. Clean channel is nice, very clean even under heavy strumming with the bridge p/up, although i don't do much clean playing, so i can't really comment. Then the distortion channel on the other hand i didn't like at all, seemed very muffled and muddy to me, the low end wasn't very tight. Even with the gain on like 4, it still seemed too lo-fi to my ears, finding the control on the back as far as the tight/loose low end button on the back managed to make some difference, but still not as good as i expected, sorta reminded me of my original line 6 spider to be honest. I would have preferred to have tried the 212 having the presence and resonance controls for the poweramp, maybe this would clean the sound up a bit, but overall first impressions weren't good, maybe this isn't the cheap metal head everyone thought it was. Then again that's just my 2 cents.

Well, thanks for letting us know steve! :headbang:

Howdy forum..... Please handle the newbie with care!

Anyhoo, I don't know if I'm gonna get flamed for saying this but I have Mode 4 and I love the sound I get from it. I do go for a real fizzy/fuzzy kind of grind sound though, and I use a custom built cab with it.

I find that 5150's and Mesa's are like BMW motors here in the UK. Great pieces of kit but every other person has one....