why am i clipping with 2 gtrs and drums and my mix isnt even loud ???

Apr 23, 2011
So basically i have my hard L and R guitars and my drums.

my master bus clipping .. my guitars are podfarm and the output of my tone is like ALMOST 3/4 of the way full to the peak level of the bar.

is this normal or and i just still a noob ?

What kind of software plugs/processing do you have going on? Plugs can clip too. Most don't even have clip or level indicators, but most will have some kind of output level attenuation for this reason. Best to stick with a good amount of headroom when mixing.

so basically i have my podfarm chain which is Gate>screamer> criminal head> celest 75 cab> slight verb. and my drums are addictive drums...

With no plugins or compression or anything on them... and everything at 0db. i peak ... and i can bring it down but it just gets so quiet that its discouraging . should i throw volumes down on my tracks and let a limiter on the main bus take care of it or something along those lines?

It's been sooo long since I have worked with PODFarm (finally got funds for a couple good amps), but try turning your output inside of PODFarm down, turn your other tracks down to match, and turn your speakers up. Do this whilst mixing and you can get it back during the latter stages of the mix and master by limiting etc. Make sure you are leaving yourself some pretty good headroom (peaking at around-18db at unity gain or so)

Just wind all you track levels down. You don't need to be anywhere near 0db. turn your monitors up to compensate.

You can mix hot and just use brickwall limiters to stop clipping, but your better off learning to mix at a lower level I'd say.

I usually mix with everything peaking at no more than -8db, but generally TRY to keep my mixes between -16 to -18db while mixing. You make up for the volume/loudness during the mastering stage. Mixing with everything at 0db guarantees you will encounter clipping trying to boost loudness when mastering.

You might want to download something like Voxengo Span, it's a free spectrum analyzer that will let you see what levels you're peaking at and where clipping might be happening. Just do a google search for it. I usually use it on each track individually to visually help me EQ, and keep an eye on levels after I compress, clip and limit. It can help you see peak buildups that may be causing clipping in your guitars, or bass, or drums etc. Sometimes seeing such spikes can help you tame the clipping by some creative or subtle EQing. And then I use it on the master track the same way. On your master track is where you will do some final EQ'ing, and compression, and THEN you will do the limiting and clipping for loudness.

Obviously there are many more complexities than that, but for a beginner, it's a good starting point. Do some searching here on the forums, there are lots of threads discussing this that are plenty helpful. Good luck.

Edit: Do you have bass guitar in your mixes? You mentioned guitars and drums, but no bass. Bass helps give your mix a fullness -- without it, your mix will sound thin and weak, and you are more likely to overcompensate with loudness, when that's not necessary. If you don't have a bass guitar, just record a clean guitar signal and pitch shift it down an octave and play around with the EQ to help give it more bass characteristics (well, as much as possible anyways lol). It won't sound great, but hey, it's better than no bass at all.

I usually mix with everything peaking at no more than -8db, but generally TRY to keep my mixes between -16 to -18db while mixing. You make up for the volume/loudness during the mastering stage. Mixing with everything at 0db guarantees you will encounter clipping trying to boost loudness when mastering.

You might want to download something like Voxengo Span, it's a free spectrum analyzer that will let you see what levels you're peaking at and where clipping might be happening. Just do a google search for it. I usually use it on each track individually to visually help me EQ, and keep an eye on levels after I compress, clip and limit. It can help you see peak buildups that may be causing clipping in your guitars, or bass, or drums etc. Sometimes seeing such spikes can help you tame the clipping by some creative or subtle EQing. And then I use it on the master track the same way. On your master track is where you will do some final EQ'ing, and compression, and THEN you will do the limiting and clipping for loudness.

Obviously there are many more complexities than that, but for a beginner, it's a good starting point. Do some searching here on the forums, there are lots of threads discussing this that are plenty helpful. Good luck.

Edit: Do you have bass guitar in your mixes? You mentioned guitars and drums, but no bass. Bass helps give your mix a fullness -- without it, your mix will sound thin and weak, and you are more likely to overcompensate with loudness, when that's not necessary. If you don't have a bass guitar, just record a clean guitar signal and pitch shift it down an octave and play around with the EQ to help give it more bass characteristics (well, as much as possible anyways lol). It won't sound great, but hey, it's better than no bass at all.

some really great information here ! thanks a ton. i dont have a bass in the mix yet but i never tried to compensate gtrs for volume.

when you say "I usually mix with everything peaking at no more than -8db, but generally TRY to keep my mixes between -16 to -18db while mixing." are you referring to the master bus or the individual tracks?

Im getting my sansamp rbi soon for some killer tones but i will record bass through pod tonight to see if that doesnt shed some light on the mix. :) thanks a ton.

when you say "I usually mix with everything peaking at no more than -8db, but generally TRY to keep my mixes between -16 to -18db while mixing." are you referring to the master bus or the individual tracks?

Both. Your master track will peak at whatever your highest peaking track is, plus some. I generally try to keep my tracks between -16 and -18, which after compression and limiting might translate to a sum of something in the viscinity of -12 to -8 on the master bus. The reason for this difference in a mix might be due to peak buildups at certain frequencies. Just play around with the levels and turn everything down accordingly, and then mix at a lower level. If your mix is good and you've tamed and eq'd out of control frequency buildups, then your master should reflect volume wise whatever your loudest track is peaking at without much variation. Do what others have said and just compensate the lower volume by turning up your volume on your speakers. Then once you're happy with the mix and how everything is sounding, make up the lack of volume during the mastering stage with various plugs on your master track fx bus.

Edit: Yes, definitely try adding bass. You will be amazed at how much full your mix will sound with it, and how thin and weak it sounds without it.

So basically i have my hard L and R guitars and my drums.

my master bus clipping .. my guitars are podfarm and the output of my tone is like ALMOST 3/4 of the way full to the peak level of the bar.

is this normal or and i just still a noob ?

This is normal. If you have a few tracks that are all near the top of their maximum level, then add them all together the sum of them is going to be more than what your master bus can handle.

Think of it like a really tall wardrobe in your room. If you take 3 of those wardrobes (that are each already at the ceiling) then you can't stack them on top of each other can you?

Just turn yo shit down!

Throw everything in a buss and turn the fader to -12 or something along there.

really? ill give it a shot ! like my light indicator is like 3/4 the way full and i thought it was to quiet... il try my volumes in mastering. !!

+1

Im like -24db or something :D

I have a trim plug as the first insert on my 2buss at all times...

you guys SERIOUSLY don't even want to know how retardedly low I have pull the level back, though.........on most mixes....

i gotta stop doing it BUT I LOVE THE VIOLENCE

I have a trim plug as the first insert on my 2buss at all times...

you guys SERIOUSLY don't even want to know how retardedly low I have pull the level back, though.........on most mixes....

i gotta stop doing it BUT I LOVE THE VIOLENCE

Curious, what sort of trimming program are you using?