Why do so many people hate Anthrax?

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
I see a lot of things online ranking the Big Four of Thrash Metal.

The lists always go like this:

1:Metallica
2:Slayer
3:Megadeth
4:Anthrax

These lists make no sense!

My list goes like this:

1:Megadeth
2/3:Metallica/Anthrax tie
4:Slayer

I also hear a bunch of crap saying that Anthrax should not be part of the big 4.
Why is that?

People also complain that they are not aggressive enough.
Anthrax are quite aggressive! Listen to Gung-Ho!
Does it matter that much that a band is your definition of aggressive.

They are a great band. I don't see what people's problem with them is.

People are entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they are.

I think they get ranked last in some peoples eyes for a few reasons...

1. They wore goofy clothes
2. They did a couple of rap songs
3. They've changed singers a few times

I would say the colorful shorts and goofy image,only have themselves to blame,Soe was actually a really good record but once the backlash come they disowned that record pretty much,hence pot being a serious record and serious image again,the only other band in the big four that could match them live was Metallica but big four is trad ranked by record sales

I've actually never heard anyone say they should not be part of the Big 4 before, maybe some feel Testament or Exodus should be there instead though. Everyone here makes good points, but I agree I think it comes down to record sales. Metallica will always be top bill which I will never understand since so many of their albums are considered complete garbage by pretty much everyone (I liked St. Anger for about 2 seconds but got over it). Many people aren't fans of the John era albums but at least they were quality records that I would still be proud of if I were in the band. Testament and Exodus both have solid catalogs but they were never arena headliners like the other three so that's what apparently matters. It was Anthrax' goofy clothes and persona that actually got me into them as a kid, that stood out to me and made them different. I actually had a picture from a magazine of Exodus wearing jams around that era on my bedroom wall, wish I still had it. They were copying Anthrax obviously.