Why EMG's 81's are sooo underated??

That's a bit of a blanket statement don't you think?
It's not 1985 anymore, passive pickup technology has come a long way.
Some people think certain passives are even tighter and have more controlled bottom end tone than EMGs.

Just my experience so far, maybe I've just had bad luck. Lately been working over a recording that was done with an Invader pickup, and how I wish it was recorded with a Emg :devil:

That's a bit of a blanket statement don't you think?
It's not 1985 anymore, passive pickup technology has come a long way.
Some people think certain passives are even tighter and have more controlled bottom end tone than EMGs.

Ive tried them all and there are some really good ones....still xFkx' statement is true, none of the passives have such a tight and controlled low end.

and actually they havent come "a long way"....actually they're still very much the same....magnets with a coul wrapped around

How would you describe the differences between the 89 (in normal humbucking mode) and 85 dude?

It's got a more crisp top end and not as thick of a bottom end, but still that overall organic, chunky feel to it. AKA for me, it had all the warmth and thickness of an 85, with the tightness and clarity of the 81.

Lasse I hate to disagree, I just always find the 85 to be too boomy/muddy compared to the 81, especially in mahogany axes and in lower tunings. The 81 on the other hand can lack low end balls, as I'm sure you know - the 89 is the perfect blend IMO!

I really want to get my hands on some bareknuckles for my 7... imo blackouts sound nicer than EMG..warmer/less compressed

It's got a more crisp top end and not as thick of a bottom end, but still that overall organic, chunky feel to it. AKA for me, it had all the warmth and thickness of an 85, with the tightness and clarity of the 81.

Lasse I hate to disagree, I just always find the 85 to be too boomy/muddy compared to the 81, especially in mahogany axes and in lower tunings. The 81 on the other hand can lack low end balls, as I'm sure you know - the 89 is the perfect blend IMO!

Looks like it's time to scour ebay for an 89 then, cuz I agree 100% with your thoughts on the 81 and 85!

well...i have one 89 in mi esp eclipse and sound very very similar to the 85 in dual coil mode, nothing especial....but the single coil split wow another history.....its sound GOOD very bright and punchy maybe later i'll put a clip of it....:Smokedev:

If the player was tight enough, i'd be interested to try quad tracking, two with 81s, 2 with say seymour duncan full shreds.

I think some clever eq'ing could mean you could use the bits of the spectrum each pickups that you like best

I find the 81's to sound too harsh...and the blackouts to sound even worse...It suits very nicely in your binary type metal band with no dynamics (eg. Divine horse-shitresy).

Sorry, one very opinionated post.

I dont think EMG's are underrated, they get more than enough attention/praise. Ive found they are a very balanced pickup, which is why they get so much shit thrown at them for being sterile or neutral sounding. Fact is though, they are probably on 85% of all new metal studio recordings now. The JB for example, has far more bite in areas tonally for me, but i just wouldnt record a heavy tone with it (even tho i LOVE playing with it) as i'd end up cutting a shitload of its greatest charactersitcs out i expect. For leads though, it rocks, where the EMGs are very controlled and I dont enjoy such a neutral sound when compared to a great passive pup.

the 81 and a mesa dr are a match made in heaven. Im finding that I dont need a tube screamer as much when using these pick ups. I love my dimarzio tone zone 7 string pick up too. they smoke all other passives Ive tried!

I'm a very big fan of Dimarzio D Activators. I haven't tried the 7 string versions out, but I have a set in one of my 6 strings (all mahogany) and it sounds absolutely amazing. they are a very dynamic pickup to play and have great overtones, but still maintain their tone in a very high gain context.

I am a big fan of passive pickups (as much as I love EMGs and Blackouts) and if my Schecters didn't come with the 707 housing I'd have put Bareknuckles in there so fast! :lol:

I don't really know. The only experience I have had with them is that a friend of mine has a Nailbomb and a cold Sweat in his universe, which I've never played. They do sound incredible, and handle high gain tones exceptionally well. I haven't really compared them to too many things enough to be able to give a description of what they sound similar to, but I will say that they lack a lot of the bass that Blackouts have. Not necessarily in a bad way...but the other day he was playing his universe through a Powerball and a Mesa cab with Black shadow MC90 speakers, and it was sounding amazing, and then he put my Loomis Schecter through it (admittedly, a much bigger bassier guitar, but still...) and he had to turn the bass down quit a significant amount. I think they sound thinner and more aggressive than EMGs and Blackouts, but that's all the detail I can go into I'm afraid.

Yeh it wasn't a bad thing at all. Once he turned down the bass with the Loomis it still sounded amazing, but the Bareknuckles in my experience do have a very cutting/bitey type of tone.

I haven't heard his universe with a really good tone yet, as he only JUSt picked up this new cab and got rid of his crappy XXL cab, but tonight we're having band practice and it's sure to be loud and full of eargasms, so I am sure I'll hear their character a lot better. :)

How can anyone think that the EMG 81 is underated? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

If you ask someone who hates that tone (someone like me, for example), of course they'll tell you that EMGs are terrible. But for every person like me, there are 10 others who think they're godly.