Why even mic a kick drum?

Play the hands, program the kicks, that's how I roll when I'm recording little demo clips for myself :lol:

Haha that's sick dude! Can't believe I never thought of doing that... it suddenly opened up a whole new world in my head, when it comes to songwriting. Sure, it's "cheating" but what does it matter when it's just my solo project... it's not like I'll play it live :) I am determined to get over my fucking "handicap" (my right leg just doesn't cooperate with me) and learn this shit someday though.

no midi necessary!

just replace from the trigger signal...........

Oh yeah, but I thought maybe I should use a sampler of some sort to play the samples from, and control it with MIDI. Like Battery or something... whatever is cheap and effective.

I guess I could trigger straight from the splats too but I haven't bought ApTrigga or Drumagog yet and I guess it's one of those that you guys use when triggering? And sinse ApTrigga only takes 9 samples, it would suck for pure trigging since I'm assuming you need way more than 9 samples to get a somewhat realistic sound. And drumagog costs a lot more but takes more samples.... dilemma.

if you have limited inputs on your interface (i only have 8 atm ) then running in midi is advantageous because it saves inputs on your interface to use for overheads, or for guitars if you record live off the floor. but i guess a cheap adat pre is less costly than a drum module. but in my case i already have a dm5 for live use.

yeah i have to ask about monitoring live with drumagog too, what program are you using it in?
I just did a couple of arch enemy tracks where Dan used his TD20 and real cymbals, worked out pretty good.

I know joey uses Nuendo, but to monitor live using drumagog in pro tools LE, i just lower the hardware buffer to 128, run a compressor before drumagog to help even out the hits before drumagog reads it so it picks up the softer hits better(i have everything except the hardest hit samples muted anyways), and then get all the trigger settings right in drumagog. Usually someone that hits the snare super hard has a tendency to set off the kick trigger. Then just set it to either live mode or simple mode(i use simple on the lowest latency setting).

loaded with slate samples, it works like a charm:)

I don't see the point in always sound replacing. Don't get me wrong if I had really good samples I might do it here and there for bands who want quick demos. To me the fun of mixing is getting some good raw tracks and processing them yourself. I love spending hours on drums getting the sounds i want with compression, eq's, reverbs ect. I don't think i have replaced any toms or kicks in the last couple of years (I had to replace a snare, but I got the tracks from someone else). Spend time in the recording process and you will not be sorry.

question to those of you not just triggering live drums in the studio what do you do for gravity blasts on the snare and the dynamics of really fast tom rolls..... i trigger everythign but only to reinforce the live sound....with exception of the kick 75percent of the time..

I don't see the point in always sound replacing. Don't get me wrong if I had really good samples I might do it here and there for bands who want quick demos. To me the fun of mixing is getting some good raw tracks and processing them yourself. I love spending hours on drums getting the sounds i want with compression, eq's, reverbs ect. I don't think i have replaced any toms or kicks in the last couple of years (I had to replace a snare, but I got the tracks from someone else). Spend time in the recording process and you will not be sorry.

I just want the stuff i record to sound like it was recorded at a professional studio, even though i've only spent about $6k on my studio setup(hardware wise). I'm making good recordings with what little i have, and i'm making enough money to buy the things that i need to upgrade my equipment without going into debt. Until i have what i need to make my "real" drums sound on par with andy sneap/steven slate, i will continue to track with just triggers, drumagog, and steven slate samples:)

My mind state is that what goes into making the recording doesn't matter one bit, it's the final product that matters...
some people may disagree

I just want the stuff i record to sound like it was recorded at a professional studio, even though i've only spent about $6k on my studio setup(hardware wise). I'm making good recordings with what little i have, and i'm making enough money to buy the things that i need to upgrade my equipment without going into debt. Until i have what i need to make my "real" drums sound on par with andy sneap/steven slate, i will continue to track with just triggers, drumagog, and steven slate samples:)

My mind state is that what goes into making the recording doesn't matter one bit, it's the final product that matters...
some people may disagree

+12312313

well to me it is more of an accomplishment when the final sound coming from the mix was from the original audio files and enjoy the long pain staking hours of tweaking those sounds. That is just me, and i wouldn't give someone a project that i was not happy with.

yeah i have to ask about monitoring live with drumagog too, what program are you using it in?

I have no problems monitoring live with Drumagog inserted all over the place. I'm using Cubase SX 3 with a Mackie 1200F at 256.

I can run one on the kick, snare, toms, etc. No issues at all, I just use the live mode in the highest quality setting. Wouldn't work in the Advanced mode, but live mode works fine.

I prefer doing this since it saves me a lot of time fixing false triggers, missing hits, etc in the end.

I do however mic the god damn kick drum in addition to the DDrum though!

We sort of use this techniqe playing live, ddrum trigger into mic input, then aptrigga as an insert.

With a super-low latency settings it works faster then a dm5 drum module.

I know joey uses Nuendo, but to monitor live using drumagog in pro tools LE, i just lower the hardware buffer to 128, run a compressor before drumagog to help even out the hits before drumagog reads it so it picks up the softer hits better(i have everything except the hardest hit samples muted anyways), and then get all the trigger settings right in drumagog. Usually someone that hits the snare super hard has a tendency to set off the kick trigger. Then just set it to either live mode or simple mode(i use simple on the lowest latency setting).

loaded with slate samples, it works like a charm:)

ive used my electric kit like this, individual tracks with drumagog on each, in PT LE and theres no noticeable latency!

what arent you people understanding about this?

here's how i do it (record trigger signal, but monitor live samples)

acoustic drum sitting on a stand -> ddrum trigger -> cable to snake -> snare to pre -> pre to interface -> audio input to channel -> drumagog as insert

set drumagog accordingly...

now hit record, tell the drummer to hit the drum. see that spike? (no? turn the gain on the pre up)...
that's a transient from the drum coming from the trigger (later on you will use these to quantize and replace!!!!!!!!!)

simple as pie.