Why is Abigail Williams named Abigail Williams?

Abigail Williams - Possibly the evilest (if thats a word,) manipulative, epic, character in literature. Great pick for a band name, especially a Black Metal band name.
Norma Jean - bad music.

just thought I'ed give the thread my two cents ;]
:kickass:

Norma Jean's first CD was decent, the rest is pretty garbage, and redeemer is just a really shitty rip-off of Botch. Their newest CD is terrible don't waste your time to even listen to it on the net.

abigail williams is the name of a woman who was considered as a 'witch' during the salem witch trial in 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts. Maybe you have seen the movie 'The crucible' starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Winona Ryder (Abigail). Anyway, I think the bandname is pretty cool

From a recent interview:

True black metal bands, especially the elite, all have strong iconic identities. Some of them have to do with fiction, religion, and others are based in cultural histories or national folklore. When deciding on the name of this band, I looked to our history – I didn't look to Scandinavia for the answer, nor did I want to resort to some mystical, fictional, or typical metal name. I wanted it to be truly American, and truly sinister. The Crucible, a story by Arthur Miller that most of us had to read in school growing up, brought me to Abigail Williams. Abigail Williams was a young girl in New England who accused many people of witchcraft, and due to her false testimonies, sent most of the accused to their deaths. This story, although liberal in its exaggerations, really affected me. The Accuser is always relevant in society. In America there were the witch trials, the Red Scare, and now terrorism. Everyone is always quick to point a finger; we do it out of fear, prejudice, and because of things we don't understand. So, the Accuser will always be present in society. Abigail Williams really stuck out to me, not only due to the above mentioned, but also because it possessed that iconic quality, while still sounding very American. We want people to know where we are from, and that even though it may not be cool/trendy, we are proud of our American culture.

You are right circus_brimstone, they have build this story on historic facts, but between us, it's all politic. I have read a lot about that part of history, In the movie they speak about Day-Lewis and Ryder in love. The history fact is a bit different, she was 11 and he was 40, they never met each other. He was barman in the village.

We can say that AW is a metaphor, but I see nothing but a witch (to be honest). Many books used the name to create an evil character but is the name evil? I dont know.

You are right circus_brimstone, they have build this story on historic facts, but between us, it's all politic. I have read a lot about that part of history, In the movie they speak about Day-Lewis and Ryder in love. The history fact is a bit different, she was 11 and he was 40, they never met each other. He was barman in the village.

We can say that AW is a metaphor, but I see nothing but a witch (to be honest). Many books used the name to create an evil character but is the name evil? I dont know.

But as i just said, she wasn't a witch. Maybe you meant bitch?