Why is finding vocals for a project so ridiculously hard?

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
Write a song in a day or two.
Record it in a couple of a hours.
Spend 6 long months looking for someone to write lyrics and record vocals :err:

Now it almost feels hard to believe I managed to finish my solo EP, which you can download for free, if you like http://www.facebook.com/BuriedByIgnorance

Do you guys have any tips for that? It seems most of them are put off by the fact that they need to come up with lyrics. I'd write my own but I'm not really good at this nor do I enjoy writing. I have 5-6 more songs just waiting for vocals and it's taking forever.

Because the vocals are the most important part of 90% of bands. They make or break a project.

That said, I'd avoid a vocalist who didn't want to write his own vocals like the plague. Unless you're playing tech-death and you just need rhythmic growls to complete it, a vocalist needs to be behind what he's singing for me to be interested.

You make a very good point Jeff. Yes it is very difficult to find the right singer i hear ya man, but like Jeff said hang on and try to find one that will write his own stuff.

maybe because in 99% of modern music the instruments should be backing the vocals and not the other way around?

any riff you play has probably been done before one way or another but true musicality relies on the feeling you're trying to create...
that's the BIG difference that separates unknown acts/99% of modern metal and incredible musicians such as Muse, Linkin Park, Pearl Jam, Pantera and every other artist that got to where he is/was for a good fucking reason.

yup.

unless you are retarted, with some work you can get decent at guitar/bass/drums/whatever... with vocals that's not always the case

i've put some work into learning to sing and it's faaaar from anything cool sounding, I guess you have to be kinda born with it

At least with my preferred type of music, death metal, I ended up doing what Skeletor says: If you want something done right, do it yourself. For a live situation that may be different but in a recording/album environment it seems to be the best thing for someone who can't find what they're looking for. And at least then you'd have something style-wise to show a potential vocalist in the future.

I think it might partly have to do with the fact that it's for a "project?"
I mean usually a good vocalist is already in a band or are busy with real life stuff. So to take time off their busy schedules isn't a priority for them when it's simply for a project.
But I agree with everyone that vocals and vocal writing in general is extremely important and it surprises me sometimes how little some bands invest in it.
I recently produced a band where I helped a ton with their vocal arranging while they recorded their vocals and it suddenly dawned on me how much experience I had with what works and what doesn't from just listening to so much music all my life.
It's kinda one of those things you take for granted I guess. Also it's not so easily quantifiable if that's even a word.
A musician can usually easily tell how far they've progressed in their instrument by how fast and cleanly they can play and how well they control their instrument but it's not as clear for a vocalist/producer to know how far along they've come in their creativity.

Some valid points there, I tend to forget most people do it for the show so it might seem pointless to them to just record stuff they won't be performing later on. I'll look into the possibility of turning it into a full band if I find people that like the songs and would play them live.

Thanks for the nice discussion. Keep it going!