Why is PT considered the best for editing audio?

i mean employed as a pro tools operator. several big name producers employ pro tools engineers and untold lower level, but steadily working, producers do so as well. i myself hire guys who are facile with Beat Detective and PT in general to edit as i carry on tracking.

i am a working engineer... slogging it out every day in this industry and dealing with many other engineers and studios and labels... so i don't know if you are really trying to convince me of your positions or not, but i have too much real world experience at this point, and gaining more everyday, to pay your argument much mind... sorry mate, facility with Pro Tools will get you hired a damned sight faster than facility with Cubase. that's reality. i'm not theorizing.

We are talking about editing related jobs here.. not main AE jobs at analogue studios, or even asst. AE jobs at digital studios with large analogue desks... or anything in between. this was and is a software discussion.

Didn't you make the switch from Cubase to PT?

No, I still use cubase primarily because I am ALOT faster in cubase at the moment. That and getting a PT setup that would fit my needs would require a faster machine as well as a "bigger" digi interface (no thanks). I got PT just to learn it and throw bands projects in so they can take them elsewhere if they like. There are elements in PT I like better than cubase but there is stuff I like in cubase better.

You know another beef I have with PT is the fact that you need ANOTHER version if you decide to go with m-audio instead of digi. They really know how to grab your nuts and give em a good squeeze. On the other hand though standardisation usually = stablisation. Oh and yes my spelling is super.

I am considering picking up a cheap mbox just to see the edge PT has over the others....( editing wise..I know it doesnt' have the track count or muscle of an hd system)..

for timeline editing and working logically reaper has actually blown me away..Cubase and sonar seem ultra clunky for audio when you get used to working with reapers routing matrix, tooless editing, and rendering abilities... the only thing I dont like is the gazillion keyboard shortcuts I cant remember and lack of wave editor ( but you van link it seamlessly to wavelab , soundforge, etc.)

Hey isn't PTHD written in machine code, so it runs more fluidly? I thought that was a primary reason people like it. Could be wrong there, but I swear I read that somewhere.

Edit: In fact, I believe it's in the latest TapeOp. A discussion about why it's so much more difficult to create HD plugins, but the performance is so much better. Anyway, I wouldn't know--I'm a lowly LE user who's become addicted to VST instruments so I been sleeping with Nuendo/Cubase lately.

i mean employed as a pro tools operator. several big name producers employ pro tools engineers and untold lower level, but steadily working, producers do so as well. i myself hire guys who are facile with Beat Detective and PT in general to edit as i carry on tracking.

I good friend of mine used to run a pro tools based studio and when he closed it he was hired as a tools operator within weeks. Ended up doing a session at a large studio in the UK and got offer the house engineer job based on his pro tools skills. Hes now on tour with one of the high profile acts who recorded there as their live pro tools operator.

Every studio Ive hired in the last year for drum tracking uses pro tools so Ive ended up buying m powered, firstly so I can take my sessions away easily and secondly so I can be familiar with the systems in these studios. I still mix in logic because I ve been using it for years and know it better than all the others but in this day and age you have to have some pro tools knowledge if your even going to go into a commercial studio!!

Also Ive never heard of anyone trying to hire a logic/ cubase operator but you see it for tools all the time.