Wicked Rhythm Guitar Sound

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I read a lot about EMG pickups, tube screamers, Dual Rectifiers, 5150's, SM57's and Celestion speakers...

I think it would be interesting to see what each of us considers some of their ideal guitar recording rigs.... when it comes to metal rhythm guitar

Personally I have had very little opportunity to try different setups (trying out amps in music stores doesn't count cause I can't blast 'em).

However I'm pretty impressed with the rig I have now, although I know most of you think lowly of modelling amps...

I use an LTD H-207 w/EMG 707's, an Ibanez S-7420 (7-string) with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz, and and Ibanez S540 (w/stock pups).
I plug directly into my Line 6 Flextone II HD, into Line 6 412s slnted cab, loaded with Custom Celestion 90's.

Very simple and straightforward, I don't use any pedals or outboard effects/compression.
My rhythm guitar patches are also very straightforward; no compression, no effects, just the amp model, the cab emulation, and a noise gate.
On its own this rig works really well for me, it gives me some very inspirational sounds. Its main problem is that it lacks power in live situations. It actually gets drownedout by the drums....

For recording,
I mic the lower left speaker Sneap-style (hail the guru :headbang: ) with an SM57 into a Presonus MP20 (default signal, i.e. no tube circuitry added, nor HPF), into a MOTU 2408mkIII. I usually apply Antares mic modeller (SM57) and C4 compression (again, thanks Andy ;) ) and double the tracks.
Pretty good results so far

So, what about you?

An Ibanez RG421 stock pickups and a Epiphone Les Paul Custom SD Custom and 59 into a GNX processor, my patch for rhythm guitars is a mix between two different amp/cab models, with I think a little bit of compression and that's it. My amp is a AVT150 which is poo, so I don't bother micing, I just plug the GNX right in. As far as adding things and altering it after recording, Im just getting into learning what to do there and experimenting a little bit, so maybe Ill update this thread later with some NooBish stuff. Not entirely happy with my rhythm tone, doesn't seem to have enough presence to it, seems kind of weak and frail, even when I track the guitars 2 or 3 times. Is there something I can do to get it to sound more in your face?!?

mesa traditional recto slant cab with vintage 30's, mesa mark 4 head, ibanez rg7620 with emg 707's, ts-808 clone, and one sm57.

with this set-up I can usually get pretty good results, although the 5150 is still my fav for hi gain stuff.

I don't hate line6 stuff because it's really good for some things (like industrial metal) they're just not my cub of tea.

I just did the new Kreator with my Fernandes V with emg 81, 5150 mk 1, mesa cab Vintage 30's and maxon OD 820 pro (tube screamer) and 1 x57. We originally tracked it with the boogie but it just kept sounding to fizzy and over gained in the mix so I reamped it. We've done just 2 rhythm tracks and its given it a great mid range with the 5150.

I've been using a variety of guitars (LP Custom, LP Std. w/81s, Rhoads w/81, 7 string w/707s) through an Analogman TubeScreamer -> Mesa RoadKing -> Mesa Recto 4x12 w/ 90s -> Royer 122 -> Neve 1272 or Avalon 2022. I have been really pleased with the sounds. The Royer really sounds like the amp in the room, although I do have to highpass to get rid of some of the Recto Cab rumble.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
That roadking looked sweet. Must have set you back a fair few dollars tho?

They did - I have two. One that's mine for stage use with the band and one that lives in the studio. My band has an endorsement with Mesa, so that helps with the cost. I think they go for $2,500 in the local stores, but mine come directly from California, so I'm not 100% certain.

Andy Sneap said:
We originally tracked it with the boogie but it just kept sounding to fizzy and over gained in the mix so I reamped it. We've done just 2 rhythm tracks and its given it a great mid range with the 5150.

Hi Andy!

You say you reamped the guitar signal… Does that mean you recorded a DI signal along with the guitars and then ran it through a 5150 after end recording? If so, is that something you do often and why? :err:

Thanks!

Andy Sneap said:
yeah I do it all the time now, it can really get you out of the shit. If Im mixing someone elses album I insist on DI'd guitars also.

That's I thought, thanks for the answers! I’ve done it my self a cobble of times but only if I’m recording clean Guitar or more melodic rhythm stuff. It’s nice to blend in some clean settings in Ampfarm, just to help the guitars cutting through the mix. But I can also see how helpful it will be to have the DI signal of all the rhythm guitars as well. Especially when you mixing for someone else like Andy said.

Cheers!

So when you have the DI'ed guitar, what needs done to the signal before putting it back into an amp? Or do you simply watch the output level and feed it straight into the amp from your recorder?

Cheers
Marty

so what products do you guys recommend for a D.I. box and to do the re-amping?

The Dane said:
That's I thought, thanks for the answers! I’ve done it my self a cobble of times but only if I’m recording clean Guitar or more melodic rhythm stuff. It’s nice to blend in some clean settings in Ampfarm, just to help the guitars cutting through the mix. But I can also see how helpful it will be to have the DI signal of all the rhythm guitars as well. Especially when you mixing for someone else like Andy said.

Cheers!