Will non-ecc RAM work with ecc RAM??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I'm buying 2 gigs for my dual core 2.3 power mac, but don't know if I have ecc or non-ecc. My specs tell me everything about my RAM except for this. What to do?

-Joe

Non-ECC memory works just fine with ECC memory (and vice versa naturally) - unless the motherboard requires ECC memory. The only downside is that ECC is disabled, but it isn't a useful feature for regular use. ECC stands for Error-correcting code, and to simplify it, it makes the system a little bit more stable under high usage, such as on servers.

For normal use, there isn't much use of ECC memory over regular non-ECC memory. You'll just waste your money.

Non-ECC memory works just fine with ECC memory (and vice versa naturally) - unless the motherboard requires ECC memory. The only downside is that ECC is disabled, but it isn't a useful feature for regular use. ECC stands for Error-correcting code, and to simplify it, it makes the system a little bit more stable under high usage, such as on servers.

For normal use, there isn't much use of ECC memory over regular non-ECC memory. You'll just waste your money.

Cool, thanks man.

-Joe