Will Opeth come to Dubai?

Adib

New Metal Member
Jan 17, 2006
USA, Sunnyvale
So we got this big show in the UAE (United Arab Emirates) called Dubai Desert Rock Festival. It's an annual event, just like Download Festival or Ozzfest where it attracts the greatest bands from the globe.

For 2005, we had Sepultura, Within Temptation, The Darkness, Machine Head and 2 Local bands

For 2006, we had Megadeth (FUCK YEAH!!!), Testament, Reel Big Fish, 3 Doors Down and 2 other local bands....yeah...

so..for 2007, the line-up for now is Incubus, Children of Bodom (FUCK YEAH!!!) and Prodigy (FUCK YEAH AGAIN!!!)...and they said there will be 10 more soon that will be announced.

The great thing is, that bands for 2007 (the gig will be held on March 2007) are not headliners. So I thought, damn..if these bands are not headliners, I can imagine what band would headline..

So..
Opeth.,..

are you coming to visit us :cool:

Waiting for your reply mate =D...

and people...check out Dubai...just google the thing..

Cheers

Dubai is awesome. I've only been to the airport on a flight stopover but the security guards were walking around with machine guns and full armour. I could tell already it was a place i'd want to live :)

Dubai truley rocks i visit like every couple of months or so, amazing place for leisure shopping and buisness. Not to mention how friendly the people are, especially the visitors we get here. Btw i'd swap you the Bahrain International Circuit for your Dubai Desert Rock Festival anytime!! whaddya say!?

Now I am going to get flamed for this, but Opeth will play there if the money is right, and since Dubai has some currency to throw around, I think they can afford Opeth. I am not saying they are money greedy whores either, so just stop with that nonsense. I am sure they would go there if they went to Isreal.

If I was Opeth I'd only go on the condition that we get to stay in the 7* hotel

Heh I have a feeling that "big projects" will never be finished in Dubai.

Adib, can you tell us more about these local bands?

Regarding Local Bands, well honestly, we have many. We hold Battle of the Bands events, normal gigs and stuff. Just like any other nation.

We have a Rock/Metal Forum for the country, it's called Phride.com

In simple terms, I can say that United Arab Emirates is the most Liberal Arab Nation. Regarding being rich, I really do not think so, maybe in Dubai you only see the "bright" side. However, we are similar to USA, where the largest community is the Middle Class community. The benefit of UAE is that there is no tax. Which is a fantastic BONUS!!!

Opeth coming to UAE won't be expensive, I doubt it, specially in a country like UAE =D. I guess Mikael can talk to Dave Mustaine and let him explain his experiences in Dubai.

Incubus is not a headliner btw......neither are the other bands I have mentioned, which is why I am excited to know whether Opeth will be performing since they are going round Europe =).

The Opeth fan base in the Arab Nation is HUGE!!!!!! Opeth was supposed to come to Jordan previously but it got cancelled due to 9/11 incident...yadda yadda...Which is the time where everyone was introduced to Opeth. So, now, everyone in UAE are expecting/wanting these 3 bands to come:

Opeth

Metallica

Iron Maiden
============

I don't think Metallica would come...who knows :p

Thank you very much for your support people :headbang:

Cheers

Now I am going to get flamed for this, but Opeth will play there if the money is right, and since Dubai has some currency to throw around, I think they can afford Opeth. I am not saying they are money greedy whores either, so just stop with that nonsense. I am sure they would go there if they went to Isreal.

Economically speaking, I believe it's financially rational for Opeth to play in Dubai.

Regarding Local Bands, well honestly, we have many. We hold Battle of the Bands events, normal gigs and stuff. Just like any other nation.

We have a Rock/Metal Forum for the country, it's called Phride.com

In simple terms, I can say that United Arab Emirates is the most Liberal Arab Nation. Regarding being rich, I really do not think so, maybe in Dubai you only see the "bright" side. However, we are similar to USA, where the largest community is the Middle Class community. The benefit of UAE is that there is no tax. Which is a fantastic BONUS!!!

Opeth coming to UAE won't be expensive, I doubt it, specially in a country like UAE =D. I guess Mikael can talk to Dave Mustaine and let him explain his experiences in Dubai.

Incubus is not a headliner btw......neither are the other bands I have mentioned, which is why I am excited to know whether Opeth will be performing since they are going round Europe =).

The Opeth fan base in the Arab Nation is HUGE!!!!!! Opeth was supposed to come to Jordan previously but it got cancelled due to 9/11 incident...yadda yadda...Which is the time where everyone was introduced to Opeth. So, now, everyone in UAE are expecting/wanting these 3 bands to come:

Opeth

Metallica

Iron Maiden
============

I don't think Metallica would come...who knows :p

Thank you very much for your support people :headbang:

Cheers
Dubai couldn't afford Metallica

Opeth played in Israel, so why not tour in some of the Arab nations (the UAE being one of the more moderate and financially postured in the Middle East)? If Israeli/Arab fans love Opeth more than they hate each other, that's a big statement on how much Opeth rule.

(BTW, let's send Nasrallah a copy of Ghost Reveries)

Orphaned Land can play support :kickass:

thats pretty cool that you guys are getting these bands. i lived in saudi arabia for a while and there is no way in hell they'd let some metal bands in.

as for opeth, i think its doubtful. i'm guessing you end up with a band like system of a down. i know, its terrible

im going to dubai in a year to work. an old teacher of mine owns an outdoor recreation company over there and invited me to come work for him for 6 months or so. we get to lay on a beach half the day, go sea kayaking with kids, then go out at night. plus we get to go to mauritius occasionally. how sweet:kickass: if that festivals on while im there ill have to have a look.

Opeth can play here:

800px-Palm_Island_Resort.jpg

Well, believe it or not it is real. It's basically a giant resort and some properties called "The Palm Jumeirah". I dont think it's completed yet, but apparently some properties are now ready for moving into.

http://thepalm.ae/

EDIT: on the official site, go to "Explore" and you'll see plenty of shots.

That thing is the Palm Islands. It is a man made island. It is not a Hotel Island, but there is a hotel in the island.

You can own a home in that place. Not to mention, there are making 2 more just like that.

There is also The World

the_world_dubai.jpg

Your own little island in the World:

the_world_dubai_01.jpg

One of only 7 star hotels in the world

Arab_Tower_nachts_2_m.jpg

And this is where I live, Abu Dhabi, the Capital city of the United Arab Emirates, and this is our 7 star hotel:

oil-money94.jpg

It's good to be rich, but my God the economic standard is a bit of hell...

Reply to biggsy:
Well, the event takes place every March. So, no worries man, you will see this event every year in Dubai.

HAHAHAHAH...we will never exchange this Festival for some grand prix. Btw, Dubai is starting it's own Grand Pirx Track as well...

The only Competitor for UAE is Qatar. Since Qatar is educationally and systematically more advanced than Dubai. Qatar is rich. However, it seems they are using their money for the long term basis.

Oh well...Dubai still rulez :worship: