Will Smith at Ozzfest

I have nothing against an idea of Will Smith doing metal song or two. In fact, it sounds so hilariously absurd that I would definetly check it out. SymX with Will Smith in vocals would be something "funny" to hear, but I guess most fans wouldn't have enough sense of humor. :D

Connauch said:
It would be awesome if Will Smith just busted out this brutal death metal growl.
:lol: That would be the coolest moment in Ozzfest history.

Will Smith is a damn cool guy if you ask me. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is one of the coolest comedies of the 90's, and he has a nice feel for making good tunes.
Fresh Prince was awesome... but I sincerely doubt that he's writing a lot of hsi tunes. I could be wrong, but I still doubt it.

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder what the context of these messages are that are coming in to the Ozzfest website saying they are going to riot, etc.?

Do you think this is a racial thing, or just a lousy music thing? I can't imagine it's the 2nd, since I can only assume most people have never heard her band. I always thought metal was one of the most welcoming genres of music, where people didn't care much about race. Maybe I'm wrong. That's pretty sad and pathetic if it's truly the case.

I certainly have nothing against her and her band playing a metal festival like this. Maybe it's just because she's famous and metal should be all kvlt and underground.

scanner313 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder what the context of these messages are that are coming in to the Ozzfest website saying they are going to riot, etc.?

Do you think this is a racial thing, or just a lousy music thing? I can't imagine it's the 2nd, since I can only assume most people have never heard her band. I always thought metal was one of the most welcoming genres of music, where people didn't care much about race. Maybe I'm wrong. That's pretty sad and pathetic if it's truly the case.

I don't think that's it. Sevendust also has a black singer and they're very popular (and good!)

scanner313 said:

Well I don't see it as a metal festival anyway so the type of people that it can attract is different to a proper festival of metal.
Festivals in my mind that are real metal ones are for example:
Metal for the Brain, Tuska, Wacken to name a few.
The people at these festivals are generally more open minded from experience and if you don't like an act at the show, you just walk out and get something to drink and eat, not riot.

It's just stupid people who don't see that they're listening to the same crap as the rap music, it's just marketed differently.

Yeah, this is the most random thing I've heard and a while, not least because of the replies I'm seeing in here. I'd never have expected such positivity. Although, I can't see where 'really getting into Otep the other night' has anything to do with 'getting into metal.'

Mantraschism said:
Yeah, this is the most random thing I've heard and a while, not least because of the replies I'm seeing in here. I'd never have expected such positivity. Although, I can't see where 'really getting into Otep the other night' has anything to do with 'getting into metal.'

Exactly. Where did it say that all of a sudden Will Smith likes underground metal and is going to tour with Symphony X or whatever that's making everyone kiss his ass? Really.

Haha.......I just listened to the song. And I thought I had heard the most generic stuff ever. Nope, that bested all of it.

I bet they can get jiggy onstage like no one else. Fresh Prince is one of my favorite TV shows and once I get home I plan on looking into this more.

Here's what I don't get; why add Jada's band to the line-up? I could understand it if:

A. They needed to sell tickets
B. She would sell tickets

But Ozzfest doesn't need help selling out and Jada's band won't help sell tickets. You could even argue that it will turn off more people, who were on the fence about going, then it will appeal to. From a business perspective, I'm not sure why Sharon would do this. And the simple reality of it is, it won't last. Between people booing and throwing shit at the stage, it's unlikely her band ever completes a set, and will probably drop off the tour after a handful of dates.

The shame of it is, if they had an available slot, why not give it to a desrving band?

Zod