Will we hand him over ?

Shannow

Stunt Plough Rider
Oct 15, 2001
Lithgow, Oz
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21958859-2,00.html

AN American sailor in Australia for a joint military exercise has been remanded in custody by a Sydney court charged with grooming an Australian child for sex, over the internet.

"The US military is asking for jurisdiction in this case, but they will investigate the matter and take appropriate action," said US military spokesman Lieutenant Chris Maddison from the US embassy.

He said such a move was allowed under a bilateral "status of forces agreement".

What do you all reckon.

With the "do the crime in their country, serve the time in their country" rhetoric that we've heard the last 4 years, what will we choose here ?

IIRC, there was a case in Japan where they (I think 2) handed back, and nothing happened, causing near riots around the US base.

I thought they stopped the whole "serving the time in the country you're from rather than where the crime was committed" thing once the whole colonialism thing finished. I remember learning about it in history at school with regards to the British in China.

I'm probably wrong, however. But if you're stupid to commit a crime somewhere, then that's where you should be punished.