Windows 32 bit limitations.

Toxic Grind Machine

black neon bob
Jul 31, 2011
Fellas,

As im exploring the world of doing scores for films, games and other sorts of media.. i have been saving up and been buying some great software to do so.

However, i am working on 32 bit windows 7 software.. i have noticed i can only do so much with the 8GB of memory that i have installed.

I have been reading that windows 7 32 bit is limited to 4GB of memory usage.
Does that mean my ENTIRE system/PC is limited to4GB? or is WINDOWS limited to 4GB? (meaning i could use a extra 4GB for cubase and it's heavy CPU VSTi's im running).

Im not sure if it works that way i described it above, but hopefully someone can give me some insight on how it actually works.. as it is now, it's frustrating as i can only open up so much in cubase before i get the good ole "out of memory" warning and crash. :(

I want to go 64 bit, but hear things that worry me enough to hold back doing so.. however if im limited to 4GB with a 32 bit version, that simply does not cut it.

Cheers! :devil:

It means both the system can only address 4GB of mem for the OS and any application in that OS can only address that much as well. There are caveats to that supplied by PSE36 with allows through some trickery to address more, but that is really only reserved for devices, not app land.

Go to 64-bit. All your 32-bit apps will run inside the 64-bit OS and when you move the app to 64-bit you'll have all that extra RAMz.

One tricky little thing with 64-bit OS is that 32-bit programs will work, but in some cases, using a 64-bit program inside a 32-bit host (a 64-bit VST library in a 32-bit DAW) will cause the 32-bit host to crash when the total system memory begins to address anything over the 32-bit addressing. I have this problem with SD2.0 and my DAW because my DAW is 32-bit and when I begin to load more than 3.5GB of total RAM, well yeah, I loose the session.

Everything else will be fine, but you still need a 64-bit DAW or any other program if you want to utilize more than the 3.5GB limit.

Cubase 6 64-bit works well, as long as the VSTs are also 64bit. Its when it has to bridge 32bit VST's that it runs into problems.

I've got this exact same issue, and unfortunately most minor plugins are still 32 bit. All the free amp sims, etc. Constant crashes.

Everything else will be fine, but you still need a 64-bit DAW or any other program if you want to utilize more than the 3.5GB limit.

I'm using 64-bit Sonar, but I honestly never go above like 2.5GB. How do you manage to use so much RAM? Even with two instances of Sup 2.0, a few instances of Trilian and a whole bunch of soft synths I can't manage to break what's necessary to require 64-bit, and have seriously been considering downgrading to 32-bit because of the problems mentioned above.

Cubase 6 64-bit works well, as long as the VSTs are also 64bit. Its when it has to bridge 32bit VST's that it runs into problems.

I have ran on a computer that had Sonar 64-bit, all the 32-bit plugs works like a charm. I am hearing this problem though with Cubase and needing to bridge.

I'm using 64-bit Sonar, but I honestly never go above like 2.5GB. How do you manage to use so much RAM? Even with two instances of Sup 2.0, a few instances of Trilian and a whole bunch of soft synths I can't manage to break what's necessary to require 64-bit, and have seriously been considering downgrading to 32-bit because of the problems mentioned above.

My patch on SD2.0 when not in 16-bit mode and not cached eats a little over 2GB. Kinda confused me when I was having random crashes in Sonar, took me until I saw my RAM usage go over the 3.5GB on the total system (sonar was only using a little under 2BG at the time) and it would crash. Cached 16-bit keeps everything well within my 3.5GB total system usage even when I am using full orchestra VSTi and other effects.

I have ran on a computer that had Sonar 64-bit, all the 32-bit plugs works like a charm. I am hearing this problem though with Cubase and needing to bridge.

My patch on SD2.0 when not in 16-bit mode and not cached eats a little over 2GB. Kinda confused me when I was having random crashes in Sonar, took me until I saw my RAM usage go over the 3.5GB on the total system (sonar was only using a little under 2BG at the time) and it would crash. Cached 16-bit keeps everything well within my 3.5GB total system usage even when I am using full orchestra VSTi and other effects.

Ok, maybe the measure in Task Manager under Sonar is not totally accurate.

What are you using to bridge 32 -> 64 bit plugins in Sonar? I bought JBridge because BitBridger was giving me problems, but even that isn't great. Lots of plugins - particularly the free amp sims (Lecto a little bit, TSE808 a LOT, all Poulin amps) - give me a huge amount of grief. They also tend to crash more the bigger the project is. Ie. I have to get the guitar tone 'done' when the project is small, because once its filled up with files even opening up the plugin crashes Sonar. Its fucking ridiculous.