Windows 8 and RME Fireface 400

DominikJW

aka utarefson
May 14, 2008
Jelenia Gora/PL
www.myspace.com
So here's the deal. I'm currently running a Dell XPS m1530 c2d laptop with 32bit Windows Vista. The Fireface 400 is connected via Manhattan expresscard firewire interface and works solid. I'm thinking about upgrading the OS to Win 8 64bit, mainly to increase performance (got 4g of RAM) plus it's damn cheap until january 31st (around 40 bucks, dowload version).

I'm having some concerns about compatibility of hardware drivers - mostly the expresscard FW interface and Fireface of course.

Any of you guys have any experience?

All the people that complained about Vista a few years back have their work cut out for them with 8.

Don't do it.

Well, I obviously googled shit thoroughly and as I recon most of the issues relate to firewire and its drivers (fw chipset, not the RME). But in the end I guess, I won't know for sure until I install it and try to run...

I wouldn't personally be too concerned about drivers with windows 8 since I'm pretty sure RME has that all worked out already, but I read a couple articles/forums reporting crappier overall DAW performance on Win8. I've decided to stay with 7 64 bit for now.

Alright, I did the purchase, installation went pretty smooth (great tech support by MS btw) and everything is running flawlessly for now. The compatibility is even better since in Vista I had to disable the wifi card becouse of the IRQ interruptions, and now the problem is gone. Reaper is running, plugins are running, I'm happy :)

Only thing that's buggering me is the new Start Menu, guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Just learn how to use the new start menu , once you get used to it and use a few key commands ( windows key to switch to desktop, win+x to access device management and prefs) it becomes second nature.

even though metro is kind of unnecessary for a desktop it doesn't seem to hamper performance. Windows 8 seems to be the snappiest, lightest windows yet.