Windows help

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I have just created a new Windows user account, but in the new account, when I try to open any window such as my computer, my docs or internet explorer, I get the following message:

error.jpg

I never had this on my old PC...can anyone help?

That looks nasty.

Is it only the new account? If it is, I'd suggest deleting it (the user account) and trying again.

Explorer.exe is basically the bit that you look at. It puts the windows in Windows, and is rather important.

that does look really nasty. Does it do it when you use any other user account? Try what Phlog mentioned, if that doesn't work, well you're screwed... :( Make sure you have no viruses etc somehow hijacking explorer...

On the subject of shitty XP what would be the reason for my comp to freeze for about 30 seconds...stop everything mp3s net etc then suddenly come alright. It used to do it strictly when I went on ozprog for some weird reason. Lately it has been happening randomly. Last time my comp ended up resetting itself completely and when it restarted it had one of those send error messages cause my system has just recovered from a major error/fault, something along those lines.

Only happens when im on the net too.

Talking about stupid problems with Windows, has anyone ever had the problem where every single folder on their computer is set to read-only, and even if you try and take it off, it stays on read-only. It makes it near impossible to delete some folders and impossible to move a folder.

Any help with this with receive eternal gratitude from me :D

Blitzkrieg said:
Good to see you finally made it over to this board Andy. :headbang:

Hey Jordan!! Haha..yeah I thought it was about time I should expand my horizons :cool:

Southy said:
format the fucking thing, and start again

I'm pretty computer illiterate. Does this mean I'd have to backup everything before doing it because everything gets deleted?

Cryptor said:
Talking about stupid problems with Windows, has anyone ever had the problem where every single folder on their computer is set to read-only, and even if you try and take it off, it stays on read-only. It makes it near impossible to delete some folders and impossible to move a folder.

That is freaking weird. Same old standard advice - run a virus check, spyware, etc, and google it to see if you can get any answers....

If you format it, you have to back up anything that is important to you - don't forget emails, anything in my documents folders, etc etc.... Even simple stuff like boomarks can be a pain in the ass to re-find. And if you format you need to have your windows disk and all your programs ready to be installed again. It's a painful and tedious process, hopefully it won't come to that...

Icarus said:
On the subject of shitty XP what would be the reason for my comp to freeze for about 30 seconds...stop everything mp3s net etc then suddenly come alright. It used to do it strictly when I went on ozprog for some weird reason. Lately it has been happening randomly. Last time my comp ended up resetting itself completely and when it restarted it had one of those send error messages cause my system has just recovered from a major error/fault, something along those lines.

Only happens when im on the net too.

Sounds like a memory issue. Perhaps it's loading an applet or a SWF file or something and it's swapping in and out?

Could also be trying to authenticate on a network somewhere too and tying up the CPU resources.

Again - I'd really run a good Spyware and AntiVirus over the system, these are tell-tale signs of a Browser Helper Object trying to phone home! :ill:

Cryptor said:

For single folders, try this:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

If the whole machine is set to read only, there's some SERIOUS problems going on somewhere! In that case, I'd suggest a reformat and reinstall 'cos it's pretty nasty sounding!

Lord Tim said:
For single folders, try this:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

If the whole machine is set to read only, there's some SERIOUS problems going on somewhere! In that case, I'd suggest a reformat and reinstall 'cos it's pretty nasty sounding!

Thanks for this LT. It didn't unlock all the folders but it at least allows me to move single folders and rename them where and when I want.

I've got a Spybot exe file that (from memory) partially downloaded. I try to delete it, but it says it's being used by another person or program. How do I get rid of it??

Winmar said:
I've got a Spybot exe file that (from memory) partially downloaded. I try to delete it, but it says it's being used by another person or program. How do I get rid of it??

Same deal, go grab that unlocker program that LT linked to, and install that... Then when you go to delete it the program will give you a message, and you just click 'delete'.. :)

It worked! Yay!

Another question: my computer makes a grinding noise when it's starting up, but is then fine once everything's loaded. Any idea what might be causing the noise?