Wintersun...The New Bodom?

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I had been seeing this copy of WINTERSUN and have wanted to pick it up for awhile. It had described the sound of the band as 'very Bodomish' with folk elements. Being that I'm getting back into traditional folk music, folk rock and folk metal, I was pretty interested.
I got the CD, and it's pretty cool. The first couple of songs are REALLY Bodom-like. I was almost turned off, because they seemed to be ripping off their sound, but after that, the folk stuff started coming and it was really pretty cool. When these guys put the petal to the metal, they are one of the fastest bands around! It's REALLY FAST metal! Nothing wrong with that! And the guitarist, singer, songwriter, mastermind Jari Maenpaa, is an excellent musician.

Obviously Children Of Bodom are still here (and here to stay) but some may not like their new direction. Will Wintersun fill the void?

hmmmh... I like ensifreum but haven't gotten wintersun yet... I've only heard good things about the band though... wheather they sound like Bodom or not I don't know... Hope not...

Curious to see how good their live...

I don't know about that... I'd wait for the first three or four records to see where they'd develop... But for me Bodom>Wintersun... But check my previous post so thats the reason:)

Wintersun is really good and as someone pointed out probably the best full-length released this year.. but then again I don't really think they sound like COB at all. Ok, both are melodic metal but that's pretty much it.

I enjoy the Wintersun cd greatly. I think that it's one of my top 10 this year, but Ensiferum's 'Iron' tops it a little bit.

As for comparing Wintersun and Bodom...I don't hear it myself. But then again I am tired of comparisons...i have been involved(well, more like exasperated and ready to shoot self in head) by so many Bodom/Norther arguments that I just stop comparing bands unless its a simple 'possible influence by' or 'in the vein of...' sentence when trying to explain what something sounds like. I'd rather call Wintersun 'folk-speed-melodic metal' than 'a folkish Bodom...' And i know for a fact one of Jari's favorite singers is Devin Townshend. :D

See what's funny, CoB fans don't realise there is a word called "genre".

Bands that fit within a genre have troughly the same style and artistic direction.

CoB, norther etc fit in Melodic Death, they don't rip each other off... They play the same style, and if you all love CoB so much, why is it a bad thing that Other bands sound like them?
I'm a HUGE dragonforce fan, and when someone says "check out this band, they sound a lot like dragonforce" i'm thrilled, because i get to hear more music that i love.

So stop fucking saying everyband rips off CoB.

but you can't deny that norther are alot more influenced by bodom then let's say the gothenburg death metal style?

these bands you talk about just sound "finnish" to me.. for instance i think bodom was very influenced by stratovarius in the beginning therefor the keyboard/guitar runs, compared to swedish melodic death metal bands who used harmony in guitars. i don't know, but i think bodom pretty much created a new style of melodic death metal style with hatebreeder/follow the reaper (sw a little more blackish) that is unique for finland.. so it's natural that alot of other bands in finland gets influenced by it.. and it's a pretty good thing i think cause the scene is just building up now and we have alot more kickass music to await from finland.. so burn the rest of the world

remember metallica = Bay area thrash 80 - 90? (killed by the black album)

mayhem/darkthrone = 90's, (killed by cradle of filth)

At the gates = 90 - 2000 (killed by reroute to remain)

perfecterror said:
^i agree. COB, Norther, Wintersun, FinnTroll, Enisferum, they are all great bands...

:kickass:

....even though I agree partially with slaesh. It's just that Bodom created a unique style with all their influences mixed together back then...without being obvious about their origins. Now...they have set a standard with Melodeath. They did it first...So the suprise is not that big (for me at least) when a new Melodeath band comes out....especially from Finland (..except for Diablo).

PS : I'm not crying or/and whining...I really respect all these bands mentioned on this thread. ...but I have more for Bodom.

Keep Rocking :headbang:

ND24/7 said:
:kickass:

....even though I agree partially with slaesh. It's just that Bodom created a unique style with all their influences mixed together...without being obvious about their origins. Now...they have set a standard with Melodeath. So instead of having let's say....1/4 of speed...1/4 of black...1/4 of death and 1/4 of thrash.. You get 1/4 of Bodom mixed with other things. So for me...there is no big suprise (for me at least) when a new Melodeath band comes out....especially from Finland (..except for Diablo).

I understand. I do agree that Bodom has something extra to make them stand out from the crowd. But I also love all the other bands (from Finland)that are "influenced" by Bodom. I like the way Bodom sounds, so when I hear a band simmilar to Bodom, I usually like the band.