Woah, check out the new update...

KennonKun

Aug 16, 2003
PA, USA
Visit site
The shows in Australia rocked, they're playing another festival, but coolest of all...

"We want your drawings!! The idea for the next Opeth album is to have drawn (black/white) pictures of the band members as opposed to a photograph. Are you a skilled artist? Please send us your work at info@opeth.com. Think Rainbow's "Long live rock n' roll" and you'll get the idea on what we're after!"

Keeping in mind that the next album is (supposedly) going back to their black metal roots, I'm not sure I like this idea. I think it's a cool idea in and of itself, but I'd prefer a band shot like in Orchid or Morningrise. Black and white photos are always cool, but they've done that two albums straight. I don't doubt their creativity, though. I'm sure this is going to be one hell of an album...

KennonKun said:
The shows in Australia rocked, they're playing another festival, but coolest of all...

"We want your drawings!! The idea for the next Opeth album is to have drawn (black/white) pictures of the band members as opposed to a photograph. Are you a skilled artist? Please send us your work at info@opeth.com. Think Rainbow's "Long live rock n' roll" and you'll get the idea on what we're after!"

Keeping in mind that the next album is (supposedly) going back to their black metal roots, I'm not sure I like this idea. I think it's a cool idea in and of itself, but I'd prefer a band shot like in Orchid or Morningrise. Black and white photos are always cool, but they've done that two albums straight. I don't doubt their creativity, though. I'm sure this is going to be one hell of an album...

They are asking for drawn pictures of the band members, not photos...so it won't be a repeat of D1 and D2...

jaykeegan said:
Haha, this sounds pretty cool. Pitty i can't draw for shit because i would love to contribute.

I love the whole idea of this Black Metal concept, it's got me so excited.

amen on the black metal concept, im so excited for that. i like the way that Rainbow album's cover looks, but I'd rather have a cover with a picture related to the concept of the album. the picture of the members should be on the inside or something.

I dont believe that I have heard or read any of them saying that they had any black metal roots, but I know Mike thinks MAYH is probably closer to black metal than any other genre of metal. If this means another MAYH-esque album, I am fucking excited, because that is my personally favorite album by them. Who knows, maybe this new album will give birth to a more evil and epic encore to replace Demon of the Fall.

They are asking for drawn pictures of the band members, not photos...so it won't be a repeat of D1 and D2...

I know it's what they asked for. My comment on black and white PHOTOS was random... I know what the site's asking for.

MAYH, their most black metal? I disagree, regardless of what Mike says. Orchid and Morningrise remind me more of black metal. The high pitched part of In Mist She Was Standing, where he sounds like a witch, the whispered part of The Night And The Silent Water...

thats awesome. i gave mike a pic that i had drawn of him a few months ago at a gig and he had mentioned something about doing this. i wasn't sure though. oooooh, i hope mine wins....that would be cool

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
If this means another MAYH-esque album, I am fucking excited, because that is my personally favorite album by them.
Right on. MAYH is my favorite Opeth album as well. I know alot of people, Opeth included view that album as a transitional album from the polyphonic musings of Orchid and Morningrise to the cerebral and understated melancholy and exotic songwriting of Stillife and beyond. If the next album will sound like MAYH, then I am sure that it will be a masterpiece of sublime quality.

The Scourge said:
Right on. MAYH is my favorite Opeth album as well. I know alot of people, Opeth included view that album as a transitional album from the polyphonic musings of Orchid and Morningrise to the cerebral and understated melancholy and exotic songwriting of Stillife and beyond. If the next album will sound like MAYH, then I am sure that it will be a masterpiece of sublime quality.

:erk:

Moonlapse said:
Also, the album is by no means going back to any roots, they are moving in a different dirrection as always.

Indeed, as Peter said ''We will always do the completely opposite thing that people expect us to do'' & it's true, i most deffinately didn't see the movement into Black Metal music coming for them.

You're expecting a black metal album from them. They won't make it.

Didn't all this shit start when Mikael said the new album will probably have an occult theme? Next thing you know people are raving about a black metal album.

I haven't read any recent interviews. Has Åkerfeldt said that the new album will be black metal?

MightyA said:
You're expecting a black metal album from them. They won't make it.

Didn't all this shit start when Mikael said the new album will probably have an occult theme? Next thing you know people are raving about a black metal album.

I haven't read any recent interviews. Has Åkerfeldt said that the new album will be black metal?

Lets just hope for the best, hey?

i say they make a pop-punk record and use this as the cover....

dra_achilleas.jpg