Woah, check out the new update...

KennonKun said:
I know it's what they asked for. My comment on black and white PHOTOS was random... I know what the site's asking for.

MAYH, their most black metal? I disagree, regardless of what Mike says. Orchid and Morningrise remind me more of black metal. The high pitched part of In Mist She Was Standing, where he sounds like a witch, the whispered part of The Night And The Silent Water...

No offense, but that is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard. One high pitched growl and one whisper all of a sudden classifies this as black metal??? Im sorry, but black metal has nothing near every riff being a double guitar harmony, oh, and also, there's usually not DEATH metal growls in a black metal band. Black metal is not based on the vocal style 100%, it's more of an atmosphere and attitude, which MAYH clearly comes closest to. Especially the occult concept etc. Might as well call the first two albums melodic death.

Disagreed. The atomosphere on the first two albums, and a bit on MAYH, resembles black metal more than any other genre. It's not about the vocal styles, and it's definitly not melodic death.

I hate black metal, and hope that the new album doesn't reflect that style in anyway, I am happy with Novembre-like flourishes of BM, but am not interested in seeing that style from Opeth, they are way above and beyond the crud that sits in the Black Metal genre.
IMHO :)

I wish I could draw because I have a weird imagination and want to translate it into detailed imagery drawings.

Opeth....will release an album that'll cause some "fans" to go, "WTF OPETH IS NOT TR00 THEY SOLD OUT". And everyone will have a whinge whether it's a masterpiece or not, then someone posts a thread with absolutely nothing to do with Opeth then MightyA will do that quoty thingio. Then some people will leave the board because of the untr00ness and new fans come in and get flamed for their music tastes...God I don't know...It repeats.

I just trust Opeth to release an album that will either completely blow people away or just make some people hate it. Either way, I can't wait for it to be released.

SasukeFutant said:
amen on the black metal concept, im so excited for that. i like the way that Rainbow album's cover looks, but I'd rather have a cover with a picture related to the concept of the album. the picture of the members should be on the inside or something.
umm they are going on the inside i think? it says 'as opposed to photographs' so i assume it means for the inside.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Opeth....will release an album that'll cause some "fans" to go, "WTF OPETH IS NOT TR00 THEY SOLD OUT". And everyone will have a whinge whether it's a masterpiece or not, then someone posts a thread with absolutely nothing to do with Opeth then MightyA will do that quoty thingio. Then some people will leave the board because of the untr00ness and new fans come in and get flamed for their music tastes...God I don't know...It repeats.
heh yeh, and they'll all ask who melinda is. in seperate threads.

Yeah, and there will be a thread asking "DID OPETH BECOME MAINSTREAM????".

The idea of the album cover is good, ill try something...

yea the first two resemble black metal the most to me too. that doesnt mean it is, it just is closer to it than any of their other albums. although, i would love another MAYH type of album with the sound quality of still life. oh man, im peeing my pants already :|

Opeth has never done black metal.

Opeth will never do black metal.

Opeth will make an extreme metal album...

With death metal growls...

Harmonized guitars....

Acoustic interludes...

And occult subject matter.

All of you shut up.

No offense, but that is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard. One high pitched growl and one whisper all of a sudden classifies this as black metal??? Im sorry, but black metal has nothing near every riff being a double guitar harmony, oh, and also, there's usually not DEATH metal growls in a black metal band. Black metal is not based on the vocal style 100%, it's more of an atmosphere and attitude, which MAYH clearly comes closest to. Especially the occult concept etc. Might as well call the first two albums melodic death.

It doesn't suddenly classify them as black metal. You just decided I classified them as black metal. My point is, Orchid and Morningrise, to me, are a bit more reminiscent of black metal than MAYH. I said Opeth had traces of black metal. You went from twisting my words into "Opeth ARE black metal" to saying "No black metal bands have DEATH growls!" when I never even said they were 100% black metal to begin with. Atmosphere and attitude? Opeth write intelligent music, with intelligent lyrics, MAYH being a perfect example. Most black metal bands conform to an image, write mindless lyrics, and blaspheme religion. When you compare Opeth to black metal in general, you see few similarities. Sorry, I draw my own conclusions. It was originally my opinion that Orchid and Morningrise are more reminiscent of black metal than MAYH until you raped my post and twisted my words.

that would be an interesting concept. id love another MAYH, it was the first opeth cd i ever got, and its also the album i practiced my vocals to.

well... i agree with lord hypnos... you can say whatever you want and you'll always be wrong, coz opeth is everything and everything else at the same time... in my opinion, the only thing you can say about opeth is that they're an extreme band, but please stop thinking that extreme = black/death metal w/ blastbeats... in some ways silence can be extreme too [john cage docet]

but hell... the thread was about drawings... well... i'm not the so-called opethpainter for nothing ;D

ChrisEmerson said:
umm they are going on the inside i think? it says 'as opposed to photographs' so i assume it means for the inside.

Yeah I think(hope) you're right. That makes me love the idea. Hopefully they get it to look as sweet as the Rainbow cover as that cover looks pretty cool.

KennonKun said:
It doesn't suddenly classify them as black metal. You just decided I classified them as black metal. My point is, Orchid and Morningrise, to me, are a bit more reminiscent of black metal than MAYH. I said Opeth had traces of black metal. You went from twisting my words into "Opeth ARE black metal" to saying "No black metal bands have DEATH growls!" when I never even said they were 100% black metal to begin with. Atmosphere and attitude? Opeth write intelligent music, with intelligent lyrics, MAYH being a perfect example. Most black metal bands conform to an image, write mindless lyrics, and blaspheme religion. When you compare Opeth to black metal in general, you see few similarities. Sorry, I draw my own conclusions. It was originally my opinion that Orchid and Morningrise are more reminiscent of black metal than MAYH until you raped my post and twisted my words.

Sorry for raping your post, I got a bunch of STD's now, so we both learned our lesson, but my opinion is still that MAYH resembles bM more than the first two.