WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

J - you are going to HATE HATE HATE the new Moonsorrow. If you don't, then you absolutely need to go back and re-visit the last 2.

I'm still on the fence about buying the new one. But then I'm going through a phase of only buying stuff I need and like, as opposed to stuff I just like.

I purchased the new Moonsorrow just this morning. I've already heard it a number of times but lost the download when formatting my HD, so haven't heard it for a couple of months so I'm all excited again about getting it. My initial reactions were that it was absolutely fantastic.

I love it as well, but I will say that it's the absolute limit of where they can go with their gargantuan, epic sound. If they get back to shorter song lengths in the future, I think my appreciation for the new album will grow even stronger. If they continue along this formula, this release won't have the same staying power because it will all start to run together. This album needs to be a stand out in their catalogue to be effective in the long run.

The first track is jaw dropping to these ears while the second has it's moments, but getting to those moments is a bit of a chore. Overall I'd say give the first track a 9.5 and the second 7.5, so overall a solid 8.5 out 10.

Jason

The first track is jaw dropping to these ears while the second has it's moments, but getting to those moments is a bit of a chore. Overall I'd say give the first track a 9.5 and the second 7.5, so overall a solid 8.5 out 10.
Sounds like we're nearly on the same page. I'd give the first song a 9.47812 and the second song an 8.67113. So I'd rate it a 9.074625.

Zod

Sounds like we're nearly on the same page. I'd give the first song a 9.47812 and the second song an 8.67113. So I'd rate it a 9.074625.

Zod

You actually plugged those numbers into your calculator didn't you? :tickled:

I agree it's an 8.5/10, maybe even an 8. And I only want 9/10 or higher in my CD collection now (but i have my own personal calculator for that ranking). :loco:

Wolves is so much better than Weakling. I'm blown away.

This is more powerful than most stuff coming from Europe.

Really? I thought it was northern CA. Wolves, Weakling, Hammers, Ludicra, Amber Asylum....it's all the same tour circuit at least anyway, every band sharing band members.

1aaaWITTRPundertheearthIMG_7421.jpg

I got some news directly from Wolves in the Throne Room. It seems a lot of people are eagerly awaiting their second album, "Two Hunters", by now. The band have been working very hard lately, and the recording of the album was done with Randal Dunn at at London Bridge studios and at Dunn's home studio Aleph. Dunn has previously worked with SUNN, Earth, Asva and others. Tracklist:

1 - Dia Artio
2 - Behold the Vastness and Sorrow
3 - Clearing
4 - I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots

These four songs "serve to tell a story of deep sadness and sacrafice", according to the band. No release date has been set yet. As previously noted, this album will be less "traditional black metal sounding" than Diadem, which the band themselves consider "a tribute to the genre".

The band are playing shows with Sunn and Earth on the westcoast of the USA in early July, and will also play a Seattle show with Mayhem. A Nation wide tour in support of "Two Hunters" is planned in September, possibly also going to Canada.

And a new song available for download:

I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots