WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

I think Wolves took their sound and ran with it, improving on it vastly.

Haven't heard Weakling - but Wolves' sound is clearly evolutionary to these ears. Love the touch of melody infused with the raw intensity of traditional black metal. A far cry from the plethora of "black 'n roll" or "post black" type releases you see today. This isn't just catchy, it's seriously intense and they've captured my full attention. I will definitely be picking this up.

Jason

While Weakling and Wolves have similar riffs every once in a while, like when they build up. They do not sound the same nor do they have the same goal in their music. Weakling has just an epic atmosphere to their music, the entire time it sends you into a war, which makes me want to take into an inner battle rather than war in the general sense. Wolves, on the other hand, have some epic build ups, but I have a sense of the beauty of nature coming from the riffing and vocals.

EDIT: The new track is pretty damn good; I'm excited

Why do I still get the feeling that many people never properly appreciated Weakling?

Why do people even have to reference Weakling whenever there's a Wolves discussion?!!

Forget Weakling. Worst and most annoying vocals ever. And the vocalist just doesn't know. when. to. shut. the. fuck. up. He's worse than Glenn Benton.

Whoa?! I fucking love the vocals on Weakling, I think the music fits perfectly with the strained, throat tearing, epic vocals.

Why do people even have to reference Weakling whenever there's a Wolves discussion?!!

Forget Weakling. Worst and most annoying vocals ever. And the vocalist just doesn't know. when. to. shut. the. fuck. up. He's worse than Glenn Benton.

See: thread title.

My comment was equally as prevocative as it was sincere. I've been listening to Wolves since their demos and nothing I've heard by them surpasses the majestic wonder of Dead as Dreams. Honestly, if you don't hear the Weakling influence, listen to more Weakling. The vocals are merely an instrument.

See: thread title.

yeah, i was just being obnoxious. Sorray! :tickled:

My comment was equally as prevocative as it was sincere. I've been listening to Wolves since their demos and nothing I've heard by them surpasses the majestic wonder of Dead as Dreams. Honestly, if you don't hear the Weakling influence, listen to more Weakling. The vocals are merely an instrument.

I do hear the similarity -- not sure if I would say it's an influence per se -- but I just think Wolves have surpassed Weakling to the nth degree. I heard Weakling way before the Wolves demos, and to me, Wolves basically came along and fixed everything I didn't like about Weakling.

By the way, re: the Wolves demos, the only thing that enhances the actual Wolves "proper" release from the demo is the presence of Jamie from Hammers. I think her background vocals add to the overall effect pretty well. Her vocals supporting the main vocals really help push this band further away from Weakling, who in turn are anchored in the dusty trail by horrible, horrible "this shit just gets in the way" vocals.

the weakling album never did much for me.just because something is long and drawn out (and boring) does not make it epic

Bah!

I dunno if Sunn are still doing the same performance that they did here, but if they are, it's genuinely unmissable. One of the most engrossing and enormous shows of my life. Attila Csihar's vocals were on par with De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

They play music? Here I was thinking that a few guys came out, pluck a string and let it resonate for about 20 minutes (while sitting offstage enjoying a martini), then announce the next song is about to start... rinse... repeat.

All I seem to be doing all day is defending the misunderstood.

Point is, you might as well get your money's worth, and Sunn are the best live band I've ever seen. Doesn't effect me if you decide to wimp out on it.