Workout

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
I'm a fat boy who used to go to the gym a few years back and well, I'm probably 30 pounds overweight (obese lol). So yesterday, I decided to buy a chin-up bar and a foam for set-ups/push-ups to have something to do.

If I remember correctly, been a drug addict (endorphine) helped me a lot when practicing guitar back then. I have yet to say farwell to poutines and such. Like, wenesday when I don't feel like cooking and Burger King's special is just 5$.

Do you workout ? Share a few tips.

Just completed week one of the stronglifts program, had tons of small injuries the past few years that have stopped me from doing any serious lifting so I'll try this out and see where it takes me. If you want to loose weight and get in shape fast I highly recommend boxing though. Nothing beats getting punched in the face for motivation :)

Hey Fredrick, could you send me that program ? I'm really interested by that but it asked for my adresse and stuff so I was like, ok I'll investigate further first... why isn't it straight on the stronglift website ?

Buy a pair of good sneakers and start running :)

I've become addicted to it, nothing relieves stress and clears thoughts like a good run. Very effective way of burning fat also.
I understand though that it doesn't suit for everyone, most of my friends rather go to gym and think I'm crazy as I go for 15km runs. :D

I got asthma so before I start jogging I'll just buy a jump rope and re-activate my cardio and lungs. Asthma sucks but once you get back in the beat it kind of goes away. Oh and Ive quit smoking.

I hate strength training and running, so i do Yoga. An hour of that shit every other day will trim you up quickly. Not to mention the mental benefits and the stretching. Never felt better in my life.

Been working out on and off for the last ten years and I can safely say that, without a doubt, nutrition is absolutely the most important part of any good workout/exercise program. Read up on macro-nutrient intake, figure out your BMR and create a diet plan and do your best to stick to it. You can't gain muscle if you aren't fueling your body properly and you can't lose weight if you are still eating at a caloric surplus. I hovered at the same weight for years while busting my ass in the gym and thinking that throwing a few protein shakes in here and there would help me grow. Only when I started researching nutrition, created a meal plan and started preparing all my meals for the week on Sunday night did i actually start to grow. No matter your goals, whether it be gaining muscle or losing fat, a proper meal plan is essential. I'm not a certified trainer or anything but I've legitimately done tons of research so let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them while excluding all the bro-science that's floating around nowadays.

Yes man ! I think the hardest part of all is getting a good habit with food. I decided that, as soon as I'd have figured how to eat properly (have some kind of plan for like 2 weeks) I would stop eating meat, at least red (despite my carnivous love for it) and would only drink water. I got an iPhone app to help me count what I eat, MyNetDiary Pro and a workout app, iFitnessPro, to track my progress and have new ideas but I need to knwo what to eat so I would not feel weak eating salads for a 2 weeks challenge. Some say I could use protein supplements if I stop the meat and some say it's not required. Do you know a website so I could prepare my meals ?

Diet is most definitely the hardest part. Was for me anyways. I've now been eating relatively clean for an entire year though I'll let myself have cheat meals on the weekends as long as it's not completely disgusting. I also use MyFitnessPal and iFitness and they help so much with tracking nutrition and workouts. Any particular reason you're cutting out the meat? You'll absolutely still need protein so you'd definitely want to supplement with some kind of whey. You can obviously get protein from other food sources but it's just easier with lean meat and such. What exactly are your goals? A really good site for meal planning is www.swole.me. You tell it how many calories you want to eat over how many meals and it generates a meal plan for you with in depth nutrient breakdowns. I don't think there is a vegetarian option though so you may have to find equivalents for the protein sources.

EDIT: That site actually does have a vegetarian option. Just click "Generator Options" to the right,click "Randomize according to" and choose vegetarian from the drop down.

Wow thanks, that website is exactly what I needed. I cut meat because I want to try and see if it's better for my body. Would eat wood meat (moose) tho and still eat fish.
Edit: Hey a question tho. Since I'm at the moment "sedentary" but will start to exercise, should I choose the "active" option right away to have enough fuel ?

I would probably go ahead and choose moderately active as a starting point assuming you are going to be working out once you start the diet plan. Do your best to stick with your diet and exercise plan for 4 weeks then you can reassess your caloric needs. For example, if you're trying to lose weight and you are staying the same or gaining, drop the calories by about 100-200 per day for a few weeks and see how your body responds. Don't make any drastic changes. Also, it's best not to think of this as a "diet" but more as a change in your lifestyle. The diet mindset is why people can lose weight while dieting but immediately gain it back once they stop. The body like to be in a state of homeostasis and if you only diet for a few weeks and lose a couple pounds, your body still thinks it's supposed to be at the original weight so it will do what it needs to to return to that point. Start eating right daily and within 6 months or so you can kind of trick your body into resetting its "normal" weight, if that makes any sense. Also, you can certainly use the scale to gauge your results but usually the mirror will be your best indicator. Water weight can fluctuate as much as 5-10 lbs in a week depending on carbohydrate/sodium consumption and glycogen storage but the mirror will show you more accurately what kind of weight is being lost/added.