Worst vocal performances in a song

The only nu metal band that I actually pay attention to vocally is SOAD. I know you fucking vomit at Serj but dude has some pretty unique chops. Thats all lost now though and he'd rather be Armenian Bono at this point.

And if you count Dir en Grey as nu metal too, Kyo is very well technically efficient.

SOAD fucking blows.

I dont know how i feel about them. I actually really like nu metal, i dont give a shit what anyone has to say on that. But imo SOAD are kind of on the low end of nu metal. I like a few of their songs but eventually they get boring and yeah they may have their own interesting style but after a while their songs all run together

I like Korn, Slipnot, Staind, and Disturbed way better

I'm sorry you dont like to have fun :p

Anyway, Chris Barnes just needs to stop as a vocalist

i kinda like his vocals tbh but maybe they arent technically that good haha

Bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Slipknot, Static X, Drowning Pool, nu metal and rap metal in general probably has some of the most embarrassing vocal performances of all time.

OOH AH-AH-AH-AH will go down in history as one of the most sublime and inspired vocal melodies of the century.

Reactions: CiG and Sophii
I'm sorry you dont like to have fun :p

Anyway, Chris Barnes just needs to stop as a vocalist

I was meaning to post Mr Barnes in this thread for this particular abortion

The graveyard classics albums have to be a joke. This is just worse to me. Had to turn it off so damn fast. No waaaaaaarrrr

Reactions: CiG
imo SOAD are kind of on the low end of nu metal. I like a few of their songs but eventually they get boring and yeah they may have their own interesting style but after a while their songs all run together

I wouldnt even call them Nu Metal, even for Toxicity. They are definitely a lot more skilled than most of their peers and a lot more experimental in nature.

also Serj is the best nu metal vocalist. Doesn’t mean I like it but he’s fucking wacky and far less boring than his contemporaries and monkey noise makers.

Reactions: Sophii
I was meaning to post Mr Barnes in this thread for this particular abortion

The graveyard classics albums have to be a joke. This is just worse to me. Had to turn it off so damn fast. No waaaaaaarrrr

Hes only in the biz because he supplies the studio with the dank kush.

Serj is annoying when he tries to do go all Patton-like, but overall yeah he's a legit singer/frontman with a trademark style.

His Patton-isms aren't as atrocious compared to like Jonathan Davis trying to be Patton. He can get pretty insane. My favorite example of this is in "We Are One" by Buckethead.

nu-metal is cringe music for 40+ year old pedophiles with spikey hair and a tapout shirt hangin around hot topic

Reactions: CiG
Nu metal is just straight up garbage. True metal-heads hate it, true hip-hop heads hate it.

The only people who like it are braindead junkies, teenage girls & people with shitful taste in music.

Reactions: CiG and The Butt
I wont have shame in liking nu metal. Theres a good handful of bands that fuckin kill it in the riff department.

I feel like if it werent so angsty and fucking cheese, it would probably be better. Most of those early nu metal bands had some pretty unique qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: EternalMetal
Can you name some songs/riffs in particular?

Absolutely

Nothingface - Goldtooth
Mudvayne - Trapped in a Wake of a Dream
Fair to Midland - A Seafarer's Knot*
Staind - Tolerate
Apex Theory - Thats All*

* - these bands draw a lot from progressive rock/alternative rock

I don't think I've heard any of those songs, but I'll be sure to check them out.