A new song with vox

There is something awe inspiring and about hearing a fully cranked Marshall in the flesh.

Exactly! If it's used and played right, you can't replace a Marshall. I suppose the same goes for Kranks, 5150s and ENGLs, but if you really know your sound and know how to play it right any other amp just won't do. I think that's what I like so much about the music you place here Splat, it has it's own identity and creativity. You use the best of what you have.

I forgot to comment on this earlier. Thanks man! I am a HUGE Quicksand fan. I saw them live during my junior year of high school in 1993 and then bought their album "Slip". That single album shaped so much of my music over the years. There is something so eerie about the guitar sound and sustained chords on that album (especially in the context of 1993). When I saw them live the second time, I was in the front row right in front of a full stack JCM800. There is something awe inspiring and about hearing a fully cranked Marshall in the flesh. I have yet to hear a live tone so jarring, even though more modern amps have a more evil and dense sound. Perhaps its just nostalgia, but there is something magical about Marshall tone in a live setting.

Lastly, with a name like Manic Compression, I assume you are a big Quicksand fan yourself, no?

Absolutly a huge fan, Slip is huge for me, Im 26 now and Ive owned that album on one format or another since i was 14, Manic is cool too, but Slip is where its at. Never got to see them live (and im very jealous btw), I almost caught them when they re-united in like 99 2000-ish, they were opening for the Deftones when they were still touring the White Pony I believe, but I opted on throwing an enormous house party instead, to this day Im not sure it was the right call. I did however talk extensively with Tom Capone when his band Instruction was opening for a recently re-united Helmet, and what a downright cool human being he is. I totally fell into fanboy mode and started in with the real deal questions. It was a limited edition 50 watt Marshall of some sort ( kind of like the Jubilee IIRC ) that Walter owned that we are hearing on Slip, not an 800 to my suprise, a 421 on the cab. He prefers his old les pauls to everything else but wont take them on the road, Doesnt like Mesa's allthough he used recs to record the Handsome album, and Bob Ezrin prefers whole guitar performances rather than comping. Thats the gist of what I remember from the convo, but again super nice dude. Lastly, I dont think Its just nostalgia, thats a great tone and a great album that were waaaaaaaay ahead of the times in 93. rock it. :headbang:

We'll probably just scrap this one.

Oh man, please don't... this was probably my favorite instrumental of yours! I agree, the vox don't quite fit, but I think maybe Matt's voice might suit it better (he can pull off a really good rough/edgy kind of sound that would suit this song's dissonance really well), or Jake singing in a higher register for a dreamy kind of sound (i.e. "Sand On Fire"). And if all else fails, it was still a bitchin' instrumental!

Oh man, please don't... this was probably my favorite instrumental of yours! I agree, the vox don't quite fit, but I think maybe Matt's voice might suit it better (he can pull off a really good rough/edgy kind of sound that would suit this song's dissonance really well), or Jake singing in a higher register for a dreamy kind of sound (i.e. "Sand On Fire"). And if all else fails, it was still a bitchin' instrumental!

Yikes! I went ahead and took that song down after I listened again. It was pretty bad with vox. Perhaps I'll keep it as an instrumental. Matt's voice would probably suit this song a little better, but right now we have so many songs that there would be too many for the album. We've got 13 songs slated right now, 6 with Matt singing, 6 with Jake and 1 where they sing together. When I was in town with Matt last week, we got a lot of new material done and there is more than enough to work on. He's only got 2 more songs to finish and Jake's got 2 left as well. I'm was going to post some clips of the new stuff but I think I'll wait until it sounds the way I want. I'll be taking the draft of Sorrowfall down soon since it is pretty rough right now, too.