New March Hare song (vote which singer you like)

Vote which version you like better

• Lost at Sea (Matt Jones)

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Lost at Sea (Jake Fritz)

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
I love both versions of the song. Jake has such a commanding voice. It gives me chills everytime to hear him on any of his projects. But being the self serving egostistical douche that I am. I had to vote for myself.....Cheers, Splat88! You are the baddest MFK I know. Say hi to Mrs. MFK!

Hey man, welcome to the forum! I wish I could sing like that. What kind of mic are you using to record your parts?

It's an EV ND767A I believe. Just a dynamic mic in the $120 price range. i'm new to home recording and haven't picked up a Condenser yet. I have a fabric shield up, and the mic itself is running into a POD X3 using the console(bypassed) with all of my EQ settings at zero. Splat88 then doctors up my parts to make em sound pretty.

Damn It's so hard to find a good vocal and you have to choose between two.
I'd say both, or the one with a better character :heh:

It's an EV ND767A I believe. Just a dynamic mic in the $120 price range. i'm new to home recording and haven't picked up a Condenser yet. I have a fabric shield up, and the mic itself is running into a POD X3 using the console(bypassed) with all of my EQ settings at zero. Splat88 then doctors up my parts to make em sound pretty.

Wow, awesome... the vocals really do sound great, and I would have never guessed a dynamic stage mic was used. I guess if there was any doubt that the singer and the engineer are far more important than the signal chain for good vocals (at least in rock music), this settles it! :headbang:

Geesh Splat. Everytime I hear one of your mixes, it makes me just want to throw in the towel and give up. :)

I have to go with Matt on this one. Personally, I think his voice fits a little better. If you could just squeeze a little more out of him performance wise, it would be even better. But Jake has a great voice too, and this seems to be such a subjective thing.

I love both versions of the song. Jake has such a commanding voice. It gives me chills everytime to hear him on any of his projects. But being the self serving egostistical douche that I am. I had to vote for myself.....Cheers, Splat88! You are the baddest MFK I know. Say hi to Mrs. MFK!

Since Jake is an equally self-absorbed prick, Jake must vote for Jake. Matt's version is haunting, melodic, and beautiful-- just like everything he sings. We've always admired the hell out of each other's work. So if I wasn't Jake, I'd probably have a very, very hard time deciding. I have to say everyone that has commented here seems pretty damn insightful. Thanks for saying all those nice things about both of us.

You guys all have us pinned down. My approach is definitely more overt, forceful, and probably mainstream sounding. Matt's vox always sound a little more introspective, subtle and he tends to get more 'inside' of a mix. If you knew either of us personally it would make a lot of sense.

Reading your comments is a totally new thing for me. I've actually gotten a lot of great ideas from your feedback here and I appreciate it. My version is by no means a finished product so I was already planning to re-work some of the parts-- the verses for sure, and possibly the 'interlude' thing.

Jake loves Matt and Splatt. Thank you and Amen. Splatt, Mr. Lamont needs his money back by next week.

(jāk)fritz;7009376 said:
Since Jake is an equally self-absorbed prick, Jake must vote for Jake. Matt's version is haunting, melodic, and beautiful-- just like everything he sings. We've always admired the hell out of each other's work. So if I wasn't Jake, I'd probably have a very, very hard time deciding. I have to say everyone that has commented here seems pretty damn insightful. Thanks for saying all those nice things about both of us.

You guys all have us pinned down. My approach is definitely more overt, forceful, and probably mainstream sounding. Matt's vox always sound a little more introspective, subtle and he tends to get more 'inside' of a mix. If you knew either of us personally it would make a lot of sense.

Reading your comments is a totally new thing for me. I've actually gotten a lot of great ideas from your feedback here and I appreciate it. My version is by no means a finished product so I was already planning to re-work some of the parts-- the verses for sure, and possibly the 'interlude' thing.

Jake loves Matt and Splatt. Thank you and Amen. Splatt, Mr. Lamont needs his money back by next week.

Welcome to Sneapland! I already asked Matt, so I'll ask you: what kind of mic are you using? This (and "Under the Milky Way" and "Misplaced Experts") sounds awesome!

Welcome to Sneapland! I already asked Matt, so I'll ask you: what kind of mic are you using? This (and "Under the Milky Way" and "Misplaced Experts") sounds awesome!

Thanks, Mr. Nnekt. I'm using an Audio-Technica AT2020 condenser mic that I run through a Tascam US-122 for phantom power. Lost at Sea and Milky Way are the only Splat projects I've completed (or semi-completed) with the new mic. We recorded Misplaced Experts in Vegas.

My vote goes to Jake.... As mentioned before, both of them have really good voice and skills, but my opinion, that Jake gives more life to the song.

BTW, Matthew, when are you guys planning to release a CD????? It would begreat to have 1 piece of your awsome work. Great, great job. Keep it coming.

(jāk)fritz;7009557 said:
Thanks, Mr. Nnekt. I'm using an Audio-Technica AT2020 condenser mic that I run through a Tascam US-122 for phantom power. Lost at Sea and Milky Way are the only Splat projects I've completed (or semi-completed) with the new mic. We recorded Misplaced Experts in Vegas.

Ahh, yeah, I've always been impressed with AT mics for the price. When you pay a lot of money for a mic, you get a certain unique character, but AT mics are good, solid pieces that you can use for just about anything and get a good result, and you don't have to spend a ton. Any more songs in the works currently? I can't get enough of this stuff. :p

Holy shit, Jake and Matt J. are part of the debate now. This puts a smile on my face. Where's drummer boy Matt E. at?

Thanks to all for the very detailed input. I have no doubt that we will take all of this insight and put it to good use when the finished product came out. I still can't believe we are FINALLY on the path making an album after all these years.

Holy shit, Jake and Matt J. are part of the debate now. This puts a smile on my face. Where's drummer boy Matt E. at?

Thanks to all for the very detailed input. I have no doubt that we will take all of this insight and put it to good use when the finished product came out. I still can't believe we are FINALLY on the path making an album after all these years.

This is NOT a debate, it's a pseudointellectual discussion . . . two totally different things. Plus, there's really nothing to debate since I'm f^$&ng LOSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

(jāk)fritz;7010088 said:
This is NOT a debate, it's a pseudointellectual discussion . . . two totally different things. Plus, there's really nothing to debate since I'm f^$&ng LOSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

lol! I look forward to much much more of this stuff. I really want to hear a vocal on wake darker skies actually!

I find Jake more dynamic overall, he brings a sharper edge to the song (at 2:07 for example).

But damn.. really hard to decide, i came in this thread thinking to myself, "okay im going to be brutally honest here" but i seriously can't decide that easily.. i favor Jake though.

Jake. I wholeheartedly disagree. I wouldn't be territorial with anything. You could really do a lot with Wake...........Jake. I think you should give it a crack. Or at least. At the very f*&%$ing least, we should collab on that one. Just like Clouds at Four. But I feel the same way about Strange. Thats your song, Jake. End of story

Oh yeah! To echo my brother in vocals sentiments. Thank you everyone for the kind words, and honesty. Putting your heart and soul into something like this is uncomfortably exposing enough. Your attitude has made it very insightful indeed

I much prefer Jake on this one. Matt's vocal seems a little uninvolved, disconnected and detatched. That style works for Jonas Renkse but here it seems to me like it's missing whatever it is that makes Renkse endearing. Could be the accent. Jake's performance is very emotive and involved, and more musically interesting, I think.