Do not talk to Matt Johnsen about old discs - It ends up costing you a lot of money.

A couple of Demon classics for those who haven't listened to them. Two of my personal favorites

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TLXjpGzF4g&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone dissed the 80's as not being worthy...I disagree...anyone remember Cerebus on the New Renaissance Record label? :headbang:

I know these this band, this album rocks, and...wait for it... I know a couple of these guys too. The band featured Scott Bourn singer on the Dimage CD put out on Divebomb.
(really that was not to plug you Matt)
Click the SOP banner in my signature and you will find that Cerebus album there.

Demon F$%KIN RULE:headbang:
Now there is a good choice for Progpower, they have been around a long time, good songs, nice varity from metal to AOR. Cannot go wrong with Demon or say enough good stuff about them.

Demon was god awful boring when I saw them earlier this year.

Just about every recommendation you make is some ancient classic metal band, which is guaranteed to draw no one in the US. Classic Metal Fest tried several years in a row, and no one showed up.

Honestly, you should go to KIT in Germany, you'd love all the bands, and the "classic metal" feel to the festival. Just don't forget your spandex! :lol:

Demon was god awful boring when I saw them earlier this year.

Just about every recommendation you make is some ancient classic metal band, which is guaranteed to draw no one in the US. Classic Metal Fest tried several years in a row, and no one showed up.

Honestly, you should go to KIT in Germany, you'd love all the bands, and the "classic metal" feel to the festival. Just don't forget your spandex! :lol:

well I would say the same thing I said when a similar statement was made about Ale Horn fest; cannot compare the two festivals Classic Metal and Progpower due to both haiivg very different profile and visual promotion.
Secondly as I said in that same reply, if Glenn put it on people will get into it.
Yes Germany would be for me.

oh kids...:rolleyes:
:lol:

You will put up with my "childish" comments on old people metal because its the younger generation that is going to keep metal alive. While progpower usa might have a strong representation from the "elderly" :)lol: jk), at local shows the vast majority were probably still in elementary school during the 80s (no, I don't have any facts to back up that claim).

In all honestly, its probably a generational thing. Different generations have different tastes. I'm sure everyone has their reasons why, but when it boils down to it, I'd rather listen to Opeth, Dream Theater and ISIS than AC/DC, Judas Priest and Rush.

listen to more BG...honestly, just keep listening. youll like them more and more if youre into that type of music. im a huge fan of them, and ill admit i even was hesitant at first. even with albums like NIME, i never listened to some tracks such as "when sorrow sang" and "a dark passage" really but eventually they grew on me and alot of their music began to connect to me in a way it hadnt at first for some reason.

that and id say just ignore how much people are over-analyzing you saying a guys name...i mean really guys, do we have to start proof-reading our posts and edit out any mention of someone's name?

personally...id rather read that than someone telling us that they "were speaking to someone who plays for some band" out of fear people will get up in arms that you spoke a musicians name...

oh well, just my 2 cents.

:lol:

You will put up with my "childish" comments on old people metal because its the younger generation that is going to keep metal alive. While progpower usa might have a strong representation from the "elderly" :)lol: jk), at local shows the vast majority were probably still in elementary school during the 80s (no, I don't have any facts to back up that claim).

I would agree that younger bands help to keep metal alive in some fashion but those staple bands like Maiden, Priest, Rush will never die. These bands do not have to ever have to put out another album or tour again and still they forever live on, they are legend. Not a lot of bands from the past 20 years can state claim to that. To say Dream Theater well maybe, Opeth I think it is still a little of a stretch, Isis certainly not. This once again goes passed just an option it is obvious just in the sub and popular culture.
I was in elementary school in most of the 80s, well half of it. I started listening to metal at that time with my first Sabbath in 3rd grade, Maiden about a year later along with Sanctuary. By junior high my brother's bedroom walls dawned Styper and White Lion posters were he spun his Europe records. I was on the other side of the hall drowning out that "poser" stuff out with Mercyful Fate and Venom.
Come to think of it I did not know many of my peers at the time who listened to metal or probably even paid any attention to music. I had an older brother into Dokken so I listened to it, started buy metal mags and so on, Now he does not listen to even rock or remembers Bang Tango. For me it led to a disease... Not Bang Tango HAHA
note; I own all of the mentioned bands myself so not to offend anyone who listens to such "poser" bands.

well I would say the same thing I said when a similar statement was made about Ale Horn fest; cannot compare the two festivals Classic Metal and Progpower due to both haiivg very different profile and visual promotion.
Secondly as I said in that same reply, if Glenn put it on people will get into it.
Yes Germany would be for me.

We'll just have to disagree on the classic metal working at PPUSA. Believe me, I love the classic bands (not Demon though, :lol:). I went to Classic Metal Fest, Chicago Powerfest and Keep it True and all of the Powermad festivals to see those types of bands. I just don't see them working with the core audience of PPUSA (which is not this board).

Seriously, if you love the classic metal, you should go to one of the traditional German metal festivals. It will blow your mind to see that much spandex, that many jean jackets covered in patches and that many studded arm bands. Prog Power is my favourite festival of all the fests I've been to, but the German fests are a close second.

We'll just have to disagree on the classic metal working at PPUSA. Believe me, I love the classic bands (not Demon though, :lol:). I went to Classic Metal Fest, Chicago Powerfest and Keep it True and all of the Powermad festivals to see those types of bands. I just don't see them working with the core audience of PPUSA (which is not this board).

Seriously, if you love the classic metal, you should go to one of the traditional German metal festivals. It will blow your mind to see that much spandex, that many jean jackets covered in patches and that many studded arm bands. Prog Power is my favourite festival of all the fests I've been to, but the German fests are a close second.

I would agree that classic bands don't go over well; Virgin Steel, Leatherwolf, Rage, hell no one down there seemed to know Crimson Glory until they played. People walked out on Jorn's Lizzy and Whitesnake covers, and all the confused faces in the seats during Stars" would back that up.
But I can't believe that some of these "lesser known" bands at ProgPower actually pull in an audience. I also think if the "classic band" was a coice pick of our humble promoter then a lot of the fest goers would get behind that band. I have liked all of Glenn's choice bands, believe he and I might have a lot of simialr taste. But I also think that if he put on a polka group and said it was his personal choice pick all the chanters in the audience would be right behind it.
So yeah there is a few ways Demon could work.
I don't remember them playing Classic Metal fest. But again those fest mention pale in comparison to Progpower as far as visibility. Advertising and packaging does wonders. I think if the Progpower team did something like Classic Metal fest even with the same bands it would have been much different. Not kissing up to the staff have no need to, but they put on the best thing going and no question there.
I know Germany is more of my kind of metal, most of my business partners are there and most of my sells go there. Hellrazor nearly sold out within a year thanks to Germany. Always found it interesting that they appreiate American bands more than America does. Meanwhile every German I know could not careless for Edguy and Blind Guardian.

In addition I believe Progpower already has an apparent loyal audience that I believe would handle a band like Demon. I would love to see a classic N.W.O.B.H.M. band brought onto a bill. Euro fest usually reserve a spot on every fest for at least one. So Saxon or a Grim Reaper reunion would be choice. I know something like Tysondog or Cloven Hoof would not fair as well, but I could see Demon have a fair chance. The band has enough of a history and varity in material to reach a lot of people that may not know them.

In addition I believe Progpower already has an apparent loyal audience that I believe would handle a band like Demon. I would love to see a classic N.W.O.B.H.M. band brought onto a bill. Euro fest usually reserve a spot on every fest for at least one. So Saxon or a Grim Reaper reunion would be choice. I know something like Tysondog or Cloven Hoof would not fair as well, but I could see Demon have a fair chance. The band has enough of a history and varity in material to reach a lot of people that may not know them.

Demon are great. I even like "Spaced Out Monkey". Definetly an odd disc. I think a band like Praying Mantis would go over better if thier was a NWOBHM band on PP. It is amazing how there are so many great bands in that genre who are still really good and still putting out disc.

Demon are great. I even like "Spaced Out Monkey". Definetly an odd disc. I think a band like Praying Mantis would go over better if thier was a NWOBHM band on PP. It is amazing how there are so many great bands in that genre who are still really good and still putting out disc.

well they usually slip out of that genre after the first couple of alums. Praying Mantis and Demon became nearly AOR bands as well as Diamond Head. But I get what you are saying. To the novice after Maiden and Def Leppard it seems Saxon was all that continued but that so is not the case.
I agree that Praying Mantis would be nice to see. They want to play over here. When Justin interviewed them last year when they were in Atlanta recording they were talking about coming over. And if you recall Battleaxe they want to come to the states as well. They are doing the Euro fest circuit right now.